Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's extra salt (added to almost everything) that we don't need.

I don't think, it's sloppy butchering. It's a butchering for maximum profit.
Did you noticed how meat is being packaged? All bad parts (bones, fat) are hidden in the bottom, and/or covered by label.
Absolutely. I hate getting a nice looking roast or something, only to find the hidden parts are all fat and bone. Grr.

Of course, I suppose the alternative to all this is to get your meat at a real butcher shop.....then you pay more per pound though. But you won't be paying good money for fat and bone.

I usually now buy my steaks at a small local butcher/market. Usually NY Strip steaks, cut off the whole piece to my specifications. It's somewhere around $12.99/lb. But when they cut the steaks, they trim the excess fat off, so I'm paying that money for a nice piece of meat, nothing hidden, no extra fat.

Can't beat that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I do it all the time. I use the 59c chicken, as described in the post in which I recommended it. Actually, there is usually insufficient fat in the chicken, and I have to add some vegetable oil to give the onions a good start.
My mom buys that chicken pack and she pours the chicken fat into a mason jar to spoon a bit of fat into her dog's food as "gravy". She easily gets over a cup of grease. And she bakes it in a deep baking dish till done. So no added oil necessary.

She then strips the meat from the bones and uses it for chicken salad and other things for the week. So it's a good deal for her despite how much is discarded/fed to the dog.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:03 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Kroger has gotten out of hand with their pork chops. Like 12 percent brine. Grilled some out and they had a terrible texture. Will not buy those again. Chicken is just as bad.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,989 times
Default skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I haven't seen any labeling of that sort here in the Great White North. Nor have I noticed shrinking chickens when cooked...BUT what ticks me off is the sloppy butchering of chicken parts like legs. They used to actually trim off excess fat and skin. Now it seems to be contest as to how much they can leave on and tuck underneath.

When I get them home and trim off the excess, I probably lose 10-15% of the weight I paid for.

If you like crisp chicken skin boil the skin to get rid of fat, then you can fry sin like bacon. After water is cold you cnn skim off fat and you have some broth

Old 04-16-2015, 11:03 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

I just bought chicken today and the label says, "No artificial ingredients, minimally processed, no added salt, no additives or preservatives, contains up to 2% retained water. USDA prohibits the use of hormones and steroids in poultry"
Retained water is different then added water I believe and even so 2% is not that bad.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

has anyone took the time to research this?? or its just too damn easy to throw up out arms,,,yep...they are screwing us again..

im betting the poultry companies are giving chicken one last boil/bath TO KILL BACTERIA FOR FOOD SAFETY!!

SOME CHICKEN. like some pork are injected with a salt solution to be more tender and juicy,,,BUT IT MUST SAY THIS ON THE LABEL

meat muscle is 75% moisture, another few % doesnt bother me at all,,knowing they gave them one last boil/bath to kill bacteria,,because if someone ever gets sick,,,the chicken companies and grocery stores are out to kill us..
Injecting and cleaning are two different things. The packaging clearly states "injected". If its cooked properly bacteria shouldn't be an issue. Secondly, it isn't doing much to make it tender and juicy if all the brine cooks out, which it does.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:13 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I usually do my grocery shopping at my local Kroger branded grocer. I know a lot of food cost has gone up. However, the cost of chicken has stayed fairly level.

I remember a few years back seeing a new addition to the label. It says that there was a 5% water\salt solution injected into the chicken. I have slowly watched this number creep up. The chicken I bought yesterday stated 18% --- yes pumped up your poultry with salt water. That means for each pound I buy, I am only getting about .82 pounds of actual chicken!

Most people probably don't even notice the small print on the label or even understand why they do that. But I am sure they notice the shrinkage when its cooked!

Does this **** anyone else off our just me?

Here in Mo i see 20% all the time.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
A lot of grocery store meat markets have a 50 gallon barrel of sterile water they use with an injector. I was told that by a guy that worked in a mat market. Don't know how true it is. He said a customer came in and wanted a 12lb bird and they just took it to the back room and gave it a shot of water.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:22 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
A lot of grocery store meat markets have a 50 gallon barrel of sterile water they use with an injector. I was told that by a guy that worked in a mat market. Don't know how true it is. He said a customer came in and wanted a 12lb bird and they just took it to the back room and gave it a shot of water.
Wouldn't it be easier to just grab a 12 pound bird instead of sitting there injecting 2 cups of water into a bird? (2 cups is one pound roughly) I inject my turkey with marinade and most of it comes out if I do barely 1/4 cup, I can't imagine trying to inject 2 cups in a hurry while the customer waits.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We pretty much buy local chickens from Hutterite colonies or other local sources. It's a hair more expensive but there is NO injection of any kind and the meat is 100% tastier than Purdue or other commercial operations. Huge, huge difference in taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink