Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times

Advertisements

I would probably go out and have food that I do not cook at home. Three items come to mind: escargot, prime rib and a woefully calorie-rich dessert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 12:56 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Rib eyes, baked potato, salad, and dessert.

Wines, and whiskey!

Old 04-19-2015, 02:07 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Rib eyes, baked potato, salad, and dessert.

Wines, and whiskey!
Bring your 100$ and come on over!

Old 04-19-2015, 03:54 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
100 bucks and i could make a wonderful diner for 2 for whatever special occasion with alcohol included and that's about it.

The hundred isn't going to cover much if going out to eat at a decent place.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:32 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You have $100.00 to spend and you are celebrating that very special meal, maybe your partners birthday, maybe a visit with a best friend or maybe an anniversary. Will you cook at home or will you decide to go to your favorite restaurant and what are you going to have to eat and drink?
I would definitely cook at home since I can cook better than most restaurants. I despise eating out except for very authentic ethnic restaurants. What I would cook would depend on the preferences of the guests.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 PM

450 posts, read 507,675 times
I spent over $60 at the grocery store today just to buy the stuff I needed to make a lasagna, salad and garlic bread. (And I already had the beef and pork sausage as well as all the spices). Food isn't cheap, but this dish which was made for a family of only three will supply us with several meals because it freezes well and warms up nicely in the microwave. My Extra $40 could have gone for wine or dessert, but tonight it didn't. It went in my pocket.

The last "nice restaurant" I went to, my husband and I had invited another couple out to lunch. There were no drinks ordered other then iced tea or soda. The bill came to well over $100 before the tip. The food I ordered was so crappy I couldn't eat it.

Fancy food and me don't get along.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:32 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
For many of us in areas where tourist visit, good restrurants become highly expensive and the rest are chains which means all Syco foods. We use to own a chains part of duffy's chains of roadhouse grills and they make sure you go broke with the business model. We got out with initial investment the rest of the family lost shirts.

I am not a Chef but a die hard cook that loves to make really work intensive meals or use the best ingredients that I can find and that in it self makes a meal expensive.

Now one of THE most memorable meals I ever ate was in New Orleans in 1999 apps, salad, meal and desert plus the most exquisite bottle of red wine for 100 bucks for myself alone. To this day I still remember it and it was worth every last red cent. Bayone.
Susan Spicer's place Bayonna in New Orleans? Yes, it was spectacular, though we haven't been in years.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I would definitely cook at home since I can cook better than most restaurants. I despise eating out except for very authentic ethnic restaurants. What I would cook would depend on the preferences of the guests.
I do enjoy eating at home as well and we keep the eating out to special occassions when the family wants to get together or when we are shopping and just need to stop for a quick bite. At least most of the time. We do have a favorite Mexican place, close to where we live. We pop in there every month or so and eat breakfast out more than any other meal (no, not at the Mexican restaurant) Last night was my bd and I choose not to go out. We ended up eating pizza, but I will cook my BD dinner tonight.

I will add, what people spend on a meal depends a lot of where you live and what type of food excites you. To some the neighborhood diner is the best place to eat and to others, we are talking about true top of the line: to people who live in small rural communities food is much less expensive than eating in NYC or San Francisco or Vegas.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Mr. CSD doesn't really have a specific favorite food and he will eat whatever I fix.
We are not big drinkers so more than likely no alcohol would be involved.
We also do not do much in the way of dessert since Mr. CSD was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago.
If he wants dessert it is usually a sugar free frozen yogurt or pudding and we work it into his daily consumption.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
It's easy to eat for two at a Thai or Indian place. Maybe sushi if we don't go nuts. We're not big drinkers, we don't like noisy, crowded restaurants, and we don't eat beef, so all the Ruth Chris Morton McFancy places don't interest us. I like seafood, but the prices of restaurants that serve things other than salmon and crusted tilapia just make me wince.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink