Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:17 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,605,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Are you going to make them? I kind of want to know how they turn out. Not badly enough to try it -- I'm not a baker -- but I'm somewhat curious.
OK, so, I had the oven at 350 last night so I made them.

The texture was excellent, which surprised me a lot. I guess the lack of egg or yeast is why there is three times as much baking soda as normal. (pancakes would be this plus egg, bread would be this plus yeast). They were like a well textured bread, which is unsurprising since they're essentially damper. I guess the cookie shape let them rise and cook more quickly than a loaf and baking them allows them to cook more slowly than in a pan.

Flavour wise, they definitely need way more. They did taste mildly apply. I had them with apricot jam on top and they were very tasty. If you put cinnamon and sultanas in they'd probably be pretty good. The apple flavour is nice, but if the aim is to be easy, then milk is something you're more likely to have on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,195,866 times
Quote:
Hi!

I saw this recipe -- if you can even call it that -- and I've got some questions for you bakers.

Here's the (entire!?!) recipe:

1 small jar of applesauce
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Mix everything well, roll into little circles and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies). These cookies are soft and chewy, without all the extra calories that butter and sugar bring to a more classic recipe. Feel free to add chocolate chips or dried fruits (like cranberries or apricots) if you want to jazz it up a little bit. You'll get all the flavor and none of the guilt!

Here are my questions:

1. "small jar" of applesauce ... "small jar" -- what does that even mean? A baby food jar?
2. With this little amount of ingredients, how many cookies could this possibly yield?
3. Would I need to put anything on the baking sheet to stop them from sticking? Spray? Parchment paper?
4. Let's assume (and rightly so) that I'd add chocolate chips. Could these cookies (with just applesauce, flour, and baking powder) possibly taste any good?

I appreciate any help that you can provide!
When applesauce is used in a recipe for cakes, cookies or other sweets you cannot taste the applesauce.
It is for the moisture content without the added calories of sugar and butter.

1 Small Jar is probably this: http://www.amazon.com/Musselmans-Nat...rds=applesauce

Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
OK, so, I had the oven at 350 last night so I made them.

The texture was excellent, which surprised me a lot. I guess the lack of egg or yeast is why there is three times as much baking soda as normal. (pancakes would be this plus egg, bread would be this plus yeast). They were like a well textured bread, which is unsurprising since they're essentially damper. I guess the cookie shape let them rise and cook more quickly than a loaf and baking them allows them to cook more slowly than in a pan.

Flavour wise, they definitely need way more. They did taste mildly apply. I had them with apricot jam on top and they were very tasty. If you put cinnamon and sultanas in they'd probably be pretty good. The apple flavour is nice, but if the aim is to be easy, then milk is something you're more likely to have on hand.
Oh my gosh! Thank you!

I'm going to make them! I don't like cinnamon or raisins, and I only have milk in the house when I'm in a cereal mood -- which is not often -- so I'm going to put chocolate chips and/or dried cranberries.

I'm good with the apple taste. It's the texture of applesauce that is icky to me.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
When applesauce is used in a recipe for cakes, cookies or other sweets you cannot taste the applesauce.

1 Small Jar is probably this: Amazon.com: Musselman's Natural Unsweetened Applesauce 23 oz
Perfect! Thanks so much!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:37 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,432,841 times
In a grocery store display of applesauce, I doubt there is a jar the size of a baby food jar. If I were going to try the recipe, I would just pick a small jar which is probably the size of 4 baby food jars. Hey, if I'm wrong... no big deal.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
In a grocery store display of applesauce, I doubt there is a jar the size of a baby food jar. If I were going to try the recipe, I would just pick a small jar which is probably the size of 4 baby food jars. Hey, if I'm wrong... no big deal.
Yeah, I'm not going to sweat it. I'll buy whatever the smallest amount of applesauce there is. If I like the cookies and want to make more batches and need more applesauce, I'll get more. If I don't like the cookies and have applesauce left, I'm not out a fortune anyway. All good!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,641,443 times
Quote:
It's definitely missing two tons of chocolate chips, that's for sure!

They call me the Cookie Monster. I loooove cookies. I was just trying to find some healthy way of eating them by the truckload. That wish/thought passed in about 10 minutes, though. I didn't even buy the applesauce.

Haha. I love my cookies, too. Any kind, not that fussy, but homemade, of course, best. Good luck w/ your cookie adventures.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Haha. I love my cookies, too. Any kind, not that fussy, but homemade, of course, best. Good luck w/ your cookie adventures.
Thanks, sweets!

Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,605,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

1 Small Jar is probably this: http://www.amazon.com/Musselmans-Nat...rds=applesauce
LOL, no, 23 oz of apple sauce with 1/3 a cup of flour is not going to make anything that won't drip allover the oven.

I used a scant 1/3 cup. There isn't apple baby foodin the US, is there?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
LOL, no, 23 oz of apple sauce with 1/3 a cup of flour is not going to make anything that won't drip allover the oven.

I used a scant 1/3 cup. There isn't apple baby foodin the US, is there?
Oh! You used 1/3 cup of applesauce? Perfect -- that's exactly what I wanted to know, really, the measurement. "A small jar" is meaningless to me. It's like the term "serving size" -- serving size for who?

Thanks!!!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:53 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,188,203 times
Quote:
Oh! You used 1/3 cup of applesauce? Perfect -- that's exactly what I wanted to know, really, the measurement. "A small jar" is meaningless to me. It's like the term "serving size" -- serving size for who?

Thanks!!!
I agree miss dawn,,,i find the serving sizes out of whack,,,but perhaps they are done on purpose to keep the total calories per serving down...

I bough some trail mix the other day, thinking it is healthy ( better than the whoopee pie)
I looked on the calories per serving and its 130.....but then after eating most of the bag, im reading this bag contains 7 servings .... so I just ate over 900 calories!! I could have had that whoopee pie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink