Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:50 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
For the longest time , you saw mostly male chefs in restaurants but most men did not like to cook at home. 30, 40, 50 years ago did men do any home cooking? Seems like it has recently become a thing where men cook at home and actually like it. Am I wrong? Also, it seems like men used to be looked at as being 'girly' for liking/knowing how to cook (I know people who feel that way about men who bake, too).

There's more renaissance men nowadays. The know-how-to-do-one thing men of the past are becoming extinct. Its an embarrassment if you can't cook for yourself at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
For the longest time , you saw mostly male chefs in restaurants but most men did not like to cook at home. 30, 40, 50 years ago did men do any home cooking? Seems like it has recently become a thing where men cook at home and actually like it. Am I wrong? Also, it seems like men used to be looked at as being 'girly' for liking/knowing how to cook (I know people who feel that way about men who bake, too).
I think it was probably more to do with traditional roles at that time (IMO).

Old 04-22-2015, 11:59 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
What would be really "cool" is for the man to learn how to clean up after himself in the kitchen AFTER he cooks. DH, I'm talking to YOU.

He's fixing himself pancakes right now...I shudder to go downstairs to look.
Thanks for the laugh, Mrs. S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
jambo is right...

if both are working ,,,, the cleaning/laundry/cooking/mowing the lawn/splitting the wood
all can be shared..

although some women are like dogs,,they mark their territory in the kitchen, and don't want anyone else in there,,,they are ocd, if someone else is in that space - anyone outside of a sister or mother is a "disturbance in the force"
( I know I sound sexist,,,but ive observed this a few times)

and sometimes,,women are very critical of their husbands trying to cook,,that the hubby thinks,,,why even try?? it wont be done right anyways,,or shes going to complain about the mess...etc.

having said all this,,i think things might be changing
if a young couple starts sharing the household chores, I think the young lady now is much less critical than 20 years ago,,, because she knows,,,if she is critical,,she will be doing it
and also,,some younger ladies are admittedly NOT good cooks,,,and welcome any assistance in the kitchen

the ideal is for both to be open and learn as they go and support each other
whether its cooking or cleaning,,or the kids,,

there is one dynamic ive always found comical...

its that older females in the family will blame/gossip the younger female of the house (totally) if its the least bit dirty or she cant cook)
even if she is a young professional working, with kids and wears 5 hats,,,the older hens will be highly critical of her,,much much more so than men of the family

but young men doing the cooking, learning how to cook is a good thing,,
ive taught my son,, to cook,,and what to buy,,,so he will certai nly be able to help out any young lady someday (after college)
LOL mbm, esp. the territory remark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I think it was probably more to do with traditional roles at that time (IMO).
+1.

Plus, the economy. Back in the fifties you could live on one income when married, so mama took care of the ranch while pap was out bringing home the bacon. Pun intended.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:00 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
I think when many women in general stopped cooking or never really learned that men seemed to become more adept at it. I know a considerable number of couples where the man cooks dinner mostly. I'm mystified as to how adults of either gender can have zero kitchen skills and be "okay" with it.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
...around the same time they started pushing strollers and shopping for yogurt at the supermarket. Oh...and saying "CARE-a-mel.".

Old 04-22-2015, 01:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Probably around the same time that eating became cool, for those with nobody to do it for them.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I grew up with a single father, so a man in the kitchen seems 100% normal to me. Why would the presence of a penis in anyway hinder a person's kitchen prowess?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Men in the military cook. Firemen cook. Cowboys cook. Men at sea on boats cook. Men in prison cook. Look behind the swinging door in almost any diner, restaurant, or hotel and the people cooking are usually men. The highest paid professional cooks (i.e. "chefs") until VERY recent years have always been men. I'd venture that those who did it well were always considered to be cool.

When the world was strictly divided between the rich and the poor (serfs, slaves, the upstairs/downstairs of Euro culture), even the women of the house didn't cook. Those "ladies" had poorly paid people who cooked for them. (You know what I mean ... that lifestyle we've voted to go back to.)

Women preparing the three squares a day is largely a construct of the 9-to-5 business world where the family cash was supplied by males and the females were stay-at-homes who did all the other work required for a family to function. We don't live in that world anymore.

My mother got a phone call the other day from one of her nephews. He was making nut rolls according to an old family recipe and he said he was thinking of his old auntie and wondered if she ever made them. They chatted about his cooking skills and other interests (he builds houses for a living). Later she asked how his wife was doing. He told about a promotion she had gotten at work and said she wasn't there at the time because she was coaching their sons' Little League team. That's the world we live in today.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Seems like it has recently become a thing where men cook at home and actually like it. Am I wrong?
Nope, you're not wrong. It happened when they started making such cool gear for outdoor cooking!

I have my own semi-outdoor cooking set-up, with grill, griddle, wood-fired brick oven, and soon, a smoker! I man the griddle every morning when the wife gets up; it's eggs, steaks, French toast, bacon, sausage, hot muffins from the camp oven...mmmm, then open up the Weber for lunch!

One task we have always shared is canning our own home-grown produce. She will be putting the tomatoes through the Squeezo, while I sterilize the jars and heat up the lids. I'm usually the one who lifts our large pressure canner onto the stove when we can veggies and meats. I also dump out the water afterwards.

She's happy now that I roast the meats for holiday dinners outside in the brick oven. Keeps a lot of grease and mess out of the kitchen, and frees up space for her to cook up all the veggies and pies in the kitchen!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
My dad, who was born in the 30s, barely knew where the coffee cups were in the kitchen. He was known to offer scientific advice to mom in the kitchen, from his comfy chair in the living room. But he wasn't a food lover. He did the grilling in the summer and that was it.

My first husband and second husband, both born in the 50s, are excellent cooks BUT - they're also food lovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink