Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times

Advertisements

Pumkin Cake with Cream Cheese Icing:

Pumkin Cake:
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup salad (vegetable) oil
2 cups canned pumkin (Libby's)
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until thoroughly blended. Pour batter into a buttered and floured 13x9x2 inch pan (actually, you can use round, bundt, doesn't matter). Bake at 350 degrees for 25-40 minutes, or until cake tests done. Allow to cool.

Cream Cheese Icing:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 (1 lb.) box powdered sugar
2 tbsps. vanilla

Combine all icing ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Spread on cooled.
Makes 10-12 servings.

It's delicious!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 09:05 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
I've never heard of graham crackers for cream puffs (then again, I never made them or ate them)....but my mom's (and my mother-in-law's) were/are always puffy (hence, puffs). They almost look like someone took a large biscuit, cut it in half, filled the insides with the cream filling and smooshed the two halves back together.

My mom also used to make these really cool, tiny little cheesecakes. They'd be in those paper cupcake holders, but the real tiny cupcake holders. Sometimes she'd drop that cherry or blueberry comstock topping on each or sometimes she'd leave them plain. Don't know how she did that too (can't find that recipe either....I'm starting to realize though, she may have memorized all of this and never used a recipe anymore), but they were awesome little individual cheesecakes!!!

Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I have had that Chocolate Éclair Cake. Yummy!

My recipe shows 2 boxes of pudding, 2 cups of milk, and a large tub of Cool Whip (and of course the graham crackers and frosting).

I am thinking I could bribe my husband with this. Hmmmm, wonder if I have any pudding?

THAT'S IT!!!!!! See, I almost had it right. Just double what I said. That one is so easy to make and everyone loves it. I've even tinkered w/ the notion of trying different flavors of pudding mix. Any ideas? I think banana would be good. I also saw a trifle the other day that was a chocolate banana pudding but in layers. OMY!!

Had a really good lil foodie today.
Dried Apricots
small slices of jalapeno peppers
Sliced bacon - uncooked

Wrap bacon around apricot and pepper and put on a toothpick and bake till bacon is done. The little dip that went w/ it was a mixture of ranch dressing, white pepper, horseradish, mayonaise, sour cream. It was really good and I am NOT a fan of dried apricots.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:28 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times
Everything sounds awesome! Especially the desserts.
Just a couple of questions--just cuz I'm curious. Has anyone ever had a different main dish than the typical turkey? I remember one year my Mom decided to cook pheasant. I didn't really like it.
Also--does everyone glaze their sweet potatoes? We always just ate them like a baked potato. They really are so good like that without the sugar added. Just wondered if I'm the only one that prefers them like that.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:26 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
We actually spent Thanksgiving with a friends family some years ago. They prepared duck instead of turkey. I personally didn't care for it, just too greasy.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:08 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Just a couple of questions--just cuz I'm curious. Has anyone ever had a different main dish than the typical turkey? I remember one year my Mom decided to cook pheasant. I didn't really like it.
Also--does everyone glaze their sweet potatoes? We always just ate them like a baked potato. They really are so good like that without the sugar added. Just wondered if I'm the only one that prefers them like that.
I've always seen the sweet potatoes glazed, but I'm not really fond of them anyway. I'll eat a small portion and reach my fill. I can eat pounds of mashed potatoes though
I'm a weird eater... I want Turkey for Thanksgiving. I won't eat Duck or Pheasant or Cornish Hens or anything like that. I've been served Deer (Venison) before too and I won't eat it. I don't like the idea of eating ducks, pheasants, Cornish hens or deer. It all grosses me out and I think I would projectile vomit if I were forced. I'm not afraid to offend anyone who tries to get me to eat something I don't want either! I'm too old to play nice when it comes to what goes down the hatch! I will openly reject peas and brussels sprouts too. So, give me normal vegetables like green beans and corn. It's a psychological thing. I wouldn't enjoy it if it weren't Turkey.
Turkey....that's what I want. And, unlike other people it seems, I don't mind mine just a tad on the dry side. I always hear family members who've done a Turkey complain about it being too dry. I don't mind. I like that

Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 AM

502 posts, read 2,296,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I know what you mean. I'm thinking of hiring a private investigator and showing up at momof2dfw's house for din-din...Darn, that menu has got me losing sleep with food lust! I could always show up and if they look too different from me...just say that I'm the redheaded stepchild who's come home for Thanksgiving dinner
Oops...I forgot...can't do that this year I'm hosting Thanksgiving myself this year and my kitchen is going to be crowded, plus three kids running around and one friend who's coming wants to do a Pork Loin Roast as well on my smoke/grill and smoke it. We did it once this past summer...yumilicious! But I'm doing a full Turkey, stuffing (with none of that nasty organ meat stuff..ick and NO raisins or plums in it...ick!), steamed green beans with bacon and white onions, garlic mashed potatoes in a HUMONGOUS bowl, sliced Cranberry sauce, black olives, sweet yams with brown sugar glaze, bacon-wrapped pineapple squares on toothpics baked until the bacon is crisp (OMG good!), sauteed mushrooms with chopped garlic and butter. Then dessert... I've decided to do Isabella's Flan recipe I've seen on here. I love flan, but never made it. A custard pie with drizzled caramel over it, chocolate cake with buttercreme frosting, vanilla cake with vanilla buttercreme frosting, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, pecan pie, apple pie, and a chocolate pudding pie. The other thing I'll have are homemade cream puffs. There will be champagne ( I like Freixenet Cordon Negro as it's relatively inexpensive but really good sparkling wine), red Merlots and Cabernet Sauvignons from California, and maybe Blue Nun white wine.
Would you mind sharing your garlic mashed potatoes and your bacon-wrapped pineapple squares recipe? I am going to be the Queen of Side Dishes this year! Since I'm not making the Turkey this year. I am so happy for the break! I am also going to try your Champagne. Good luck with the Flan and be patient. It can take a long time to bake.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:33 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Red face baked sweet potatoes

Quote:
We have sweet potatoes served like baked potatoes year 'round w/brown sugar, dash of salt, cinnamon and little almond slivers! YUM! I am not a fan of the glazed ones, maybe a hangup from public schools cafes?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
We have sweet potatoes served like baked potatoes year 'round w/brown sugar, dash of salt, cinnamon and little almond slivers! YUM! I am not a fan of the glazed ones, maybe a hangup from public schools cafes?
I've always just eaten them with butter. Slice them open and add butter--just like a baked potato. My Mom used to tell me sweet potatoes were my favorite, even as a baby.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 AM

502 posts, read 2,296,028 times
Quote:
I've always just eaten them with butter. Slice them open and add butter--just like a baked potato. My Mom used to tell me sweet potatoes were my favorite, even as a baby.

I eat them the same way but sometimes (because I have a sweet tooth) I add brown sugar and cinnamon sugar!

Sorry Grammy I know you don't approve of my sugar intake. I will try to add less sugar to all my meals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink