Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:43 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,668,992 times

Advertisements

In the south we love cornbread stuffing. I have family here who moved from Oregon and we need a great bread stuffing recipe. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 04:51 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,998,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Aww, MoMark, lighten up! Seriously, I like Rachel Ray well enough, but I prefer Paula Deen. I know, I know, she cooks with alot of butter, but I don't use her recipes all the time,(although I have three of her cookbooks, and I enjoy using them. Of course, living in the South causes me to lean in her direction, I suppose). Now, if any of Rachel Ray's cookbooks come in a spiral-bound/comb-bound, I would be more likely to try one. I usually won't buy a cookbook unless it comes that way. They are much easier to use. As to Thanksgiving, I'm sorry, but I will be using my butter. Butter to rub down the turkey prior to cooking, butter for the mashed potatos, rolls, and corn...all of my eating and most of my baking, (remember my chocolate chip cookies?), is done with butter! I don't allow margarine or any such thing in my house. It just doesn't taste right. But, if it means anything, neither I nor my family is the size of the Deen family. And, I eat alot of salads and fruit!
Your chocolate chip cookies almost got made again today! Instead I went to the store and bought supplies to make Isabella's Flan and then Momof2dfw's eclair cake I use butter too! But I saw how Paula made donuts one time.. I was waiting for the family to drop while the cameras were still rolling

Old 11-17-2006, 04:56 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,998,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Would you mind sharing your garlic mashed potatoes and your bacon-wrapped pineapple squares recipe? I am going to be the Queen of Side Dishes this year! Since I'm not making the Turkey this year. I am so happy for the break! I am also going to try your Champagne. Good luck with the Flan and be patient. It can take a long time to bake.
I'm sorry Isabella for taking so long to get back to you. Since the server change, I've only been able to log on three times, both times before the last twenty minutes I couldn't post messages I typed. I have no idea why it's been so difficult, then miraculously I got on this evening...
For the garlic mashed potatoes, get the garlic minced first. Five cloves for sauteeing, three to just get thrown in after all is almost done raw. Get the potatoes whipped, sautee a stick of butter with the minced five cloves until the butter melts, pour it into the mashed potatoes, then throw in the raw uncooked three cloves. Whip it all up. YUM! The purpose in throwing in some raw at the end is just like when you add some cooked bacon at the last minutes with steamed green beans...otherwise the flavor is blah and leached out. This gives it some kick without being overpowering. The amount of potatoes I did that with was 5 lbs.
The pineapple squares are easy. Just preheat oven to 400F, get a cookie sheet, wrap squares of pineapple in a bacon strip and pin it through with a toothpick. Fill the tray up, stick in the oven, and wait until the bacon is thorougly cooked. It's amazingly good!

Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,754,253 times
The usual: tofurky (yes, tofurky, we don't eat birds), cranberries, pumpkin pie, potatoes, gravy, etc. Probably all the same as other people with the exception of turkey, instead it will be vegetarian options.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:54 PM

502 posts, read 2,297,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I'm sorry Isabella for taking so long to get back to you. Since the server change, I've only been able to log on three times, both times before the last twenty minutes I couldn't post messages I typed. I have no idea why it's been so difficult, then miraculously I got on this evening...
For the garlic mashed potatoes, get the garlic minced first. Five cloves for sauteeing, three to just get thrown in after all is almost done raw. Get the potatoes whipped, sautee a stick of butter with the minced five cloves until the butter melts, pour it into the mashed potatoes, then throw in the raw uncooked three cloves. Whip it all up. YUM! The purpose in throwing in some raw at the end is just like when you add some cooked bacon at the last minutes with steamed green beans...otherwise the flavor is blah and leached out. This gives it some kick without being overpowering. The amount of potatoes I did that with was 5 lbs.
The pineapple squares are easy. Just preheat oven to 400F, get a cookie sheet, wrap squares of pineapple in a bacon strip and pin it through with a toothpick. Fill the tray up, stick in the oven, and wait until the bacon is thorougly cooked. It's amazingly good!
Thank you so much. I can't wait to try this out. I will be cooking all day on Wednesday and Thursday morning then eating the rest of the day on Thursday and all day on Friday!

Old 11-20-2006, 05:41 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,649,015 times
There were some posts about chefs. I just wanted to say that Chef Justin Wilson was my favorite (talk about clogging some arteries, if he could fry orange juice he would). I could sit and listen to him for hours. Every dish he prepared had a story to go with it. If you never tried one of his recipes get his cook book and do it. You won't be sorry. I GARONTEE IT. He is sadly missed.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 PM

104 posts, read 458,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
There were some posts about chefs. I just wanted to say that Chef Justin Wilson was my favorite (talk about clogging some arteries, if he could fry orange juice he would). I could sit and listen to him for hours. Every dish he prepared had a story to go with it. If you never tried one of his recipes get his cook book and do it. You won't be sorry. I GARONTEE IT. He is sadly missed.
I LOVED Justin Wilson!!! He was the first t.v. chef I went crazy over. As much as I really, really like Paula Deen, I loved & adored Justin!! I bought 2 of his cookbooks from his PBS show, & I even searched out & bought one of his comedy albums (lots of the same stories from his shows). I DO miss him -- alot!!

Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,668,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Your chocolate chip cookies almost got made again today! Instead I went to the store and bought supplies to make Isabella's Flan and then Momof2dfw's eclair cake I use butter too! But I saw how Paula made donuts one time.. I was waiting for the family to drop while the cameras were still rolling
Momark, you would have died if you had seen the one where she made bread pudding w/Krispy Kreme donuts! ROFL

Old 11-21-2006, 08:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Momark, you would have died if you had seen the one where she made bread pudding w/Krispy Kreme donuts! ROFL
OUCH!!! That makes my cheeks pucker just thinking of how ssshhhhweeet that had to have been. Way too sweet for this sweet tooth. I LOVE donuts but KK donuts are just TOO sweet.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:38 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,627,941 times
It's true, Krispy Kreme doughnuts are toothachingly, (is that a word? ), sweet, but oh boy, are those things good, when you get them hot! Fortunately, for my waistline, the closest KK is in Pensacola, which is about 20 or so miles from me. So, it's a treat to stop, once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink