Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:57 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,417 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. I'd heard rumblings about it, and there are some lesser known chains that have been either doing this or marketing this way for quite some time. Those of us who frequent Whole Foods' cafes have paid attention to this, but this is taking it mainstream. And when a national chain like Panera (who just bought out Paradise Bakery here in the Southwest) is featured in Fortune magazine talking about cleaning up their menu, it's a game changer. Panera CEO says 'no' to unacceptable ingredients - Fortune

Expect to start hearing about this from the old standbyes - MickeyDees, BK and Taco Bell. Not sure if Jack will ever catch up. Hard to keep prices at $1 a burger if you're serving real food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:59 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,039 times
For the prices Panera has, they can afford this.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
For the prices Panera has, they can afford this.
I think Panera is a rip off for the prices they have.. might as well not even eat fast food at all and go to a real restaurant for the prices they have.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:54 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,335,488 times
"It took two months just to determine what the ingredients were in the Greek salad dressing..."

It didn't come with a list of ingredients? I thought that was mandatory. Panera Bread is hopping on the Chipotle bandwagon. That's not surprising. They could have lead, but chose to follow. Better late than never, I suppose.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
I just wish that they would put as much effort into providing training for their employees and actually cleaning their restaurants as they do with all of their latest initiatives.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,193 times
I can't stand Panera. I don't mind paying for quality, but the ingredients don't seem to be anything special and I somehow always end up feeling ripped off when I eat there.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
ineresting but I wonder if it will ever really come about and how will we know? Now, for those of you who think the food is pricey for what you get: I guess I live in another world, I certainly do not find the food expensive at all, love the flavors and have found the employees very helpful for the most part. Sure it is still pretty much fast food, but a lot better than most fast foods. Let's face it, most restaurants now, unless independently owed are fast food in one way or another.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
I LOVE Panera's broccoli cheese soup and that baguette.....oh, my...so tasty! I don't think the prices are bad, either! I don't care for their salads, mainly because they aren't chopped and trying to cut the salad enough to eat it is nearly impossible on those small plates!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:30 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
They're simply pandering to the Food Babe crowd. They know that there is nothing unhealthy about these ingredients but the "hey look at us!" act will have the quacks flocking to them.

More power to them if they can exploit that ignorance for profit.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Panera is getting rid of the cashiers at their restaurants, and going to Kiosks to order your food. I stopped going to Panera this past year. I would have stopped going even earlier, if this new format had been put in place back then. I will not eat anywhere where a Kiosks takes over someone's job. I found Panera way overpriced, and so overcrowded. It just became a very stressful place to eat. Plus there just wasn't much for me to eat at Panera, as I have to count carbs for Diabetes. The food is pretty much all high carbs.

I think in a few years Panera will hit the road. I just don't think they are making it, and constantly trying to stay afloat with new methods. Have to give them credit though, they don't give up. Perhaps they can work on how expensive they are. Plus many of their restaurants are rather dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink