Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,393,303 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for someone who can't face bones as in beef ribs slow smoked at a low temp. I too try to cook healthy (now) and keeping the cooking temp low is important to me. Have you fixed chicken and dumplings, chicken and yellow rice or chicken and Spanish rice? Pot roast in a electric skilled or crock-pot? Too bad he will not taste long, long and very low temp smoke pork that is pulled. And those baby back ribs. Thats not what you are asking for I know just my thoughts. I guess I'm lucky as there are fewer main stream foods I will not eat that I have fingers. Will he eat baked haddock fillets? They are very mild and not the least fishy. North Atlantic fish are usually not fishy like fresh water fish. If he has never eaten fish you have one shot at getting him to eat it. Oily fish can be fishy. Salmon and mackerel. I know what works for me as I have dropped 75 lbs on my on without professional help or magic pills.That's healthy. I've recently read on the healthy part it is not what you always cook but at what temp it is cooked at. If you go out for dinner try a Panda Express for the varieties of chicken. Healthy veggies there too. They have plates stacked high at 400 calories and few carbs. I did what I've done to keep from losing my eyes and feet. It can be done and tasty too. I do hope you find some solutions. I've traveled this same road you are on. It's no fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Smoker View Post
I feel sorry for someone who can't face bones as in beef ribs slow smoked at a low temp. I too try to cook healthy (now) and keeping the cooking temp low is important to me. Have you fixed chicken and dumplings, chicken and yellow rice or chicken and Spanish rice? Pot roast in a electric skilled or crock-pot? Too bad he will not taste long, long and very low temp smoke pork that is pulled. And those baby back ribs. Thats not what you are asking for I know just my thoughts. I guess I'm lucky as there are fewer main stream foods I will not eat that I have fingers. Will he eat baked haddock fillets? They are very mild and not the least fishy. North Atlantic fish are usually not fishy like fresh water fish. If he has never eaten fish you have one shot at getting him to eat it. Oily fish can be fishy. Salmon and mackerel. I know what works for me as I have dropped 75 lbs on my on without professional help or magic pills.That's healthy. I've recently read on the healthy part it is not what you always cook but at what temp it is cooked at. If you go out for dinner try a Panda Express for the varieties of chicken. Healthy veggies there too. They have plates stacked high at 400 calories and few carbs. I did what I've done to keep from losing my eyes and feet. It can be done and tasty too. I do hope you find some solutions. I've traveled this same road you are on. It's no fun.
Thanks. You know I don't cook rice or pasta anymore. I cut it out. When we have pasta I make it from squash or zucchini and we really like it!

Unfortunately he does not eat seafood. I just really want to cook healthy and I am, but it just seems like we are eating the same things all the time. Oh how I miss a pork loin in the crock pot.

Congrats on being healthy and the weight loss!!!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
lol...thanks for the laugh!!

the picky eaters don't get better with time,,,
No, they don't. I danced around that one for years, avoiding the forbidden foods. I got pretty tired of that after a few years and started cooking what I wanted to eat. Not hungry? Too bad.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 PM

6,667 posts, read 4,757,769 times
Vegetable stew. Whole bunch of different veggies, boil them together in a pot in a tomato base. I use zucchini, tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, yellow squash, eggplant. Pretty much anything you might have on hand. If you need more starch you can serve it with pasta.

We always called it Giamboatta. Pronounced Jaam-bawt.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,846,583 times
To the OP: How is he with Chinese food? Because oyster sauce chicken is pretty good. I'd try Allrecipes.com and do a search for chicken or beef. There's also a recipe on there for making your own teriyaki sauce that's just delicious.

Recently I found a recipe for beef jerky and sort of adapted it. You get some steak, maybe petite sirloin or bottom round, and cut it in slices. Get a Grillmates envelope and prepare that to marinate your beef in. After marinading, lay your meat strips out on a rack above a cookie sheet lined with foil and cook in the oven at 200° for about 45 minutes, depending on how thick your meat is sliced. Keep the oven door slightly ajar (I use a pan to wedge it open a little). After 45 minutes, the slices should be cooked with some pink in the middle. Then you can serve the beef over rice or noodles or just eat plain.

I love the Grillmates Mesquite but beware - your whole house will smell like a delicious barbeque.

By the way, I am an extremely picky eater and I can tell you from experience, the one thing you can't do is force a picky eater to eat something. And yes, it is all about how the food looks. The best thing to do (if you feel up to it) is to make him his nightly hamburger on a bun and make yourself something that looks and smells delicious. If he asks for a taste, great. But don't ever ask him if he wants a taste. Picky eaters are forced to eat food they don't like from the time they're children and you'd be surprised at all the foods they'll eat if they're not forced.

Also remember that many picky eaters are super tasters. To them, chocolate can be too sweet, coffee too bitter, and vegetables taste awful. I ate some green beans off the vine once and promptly spat them out - they tasted like eating grass to me. And someone else here mentioned, I'd get him involved in making his own food, literally cooking it. But you may end up with a budding chef. When I decided to start cooking for myself less than a year ago, I went from having only salt in my cupboards to having over 24 spices on my spice rack and adding more every month. Giving him his own spices to cook with could change how he views what he eats. It's worth a try, anyhow.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 05-07-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 01:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Heres some creative ideas=
Paleo Recipes - 325+ Free from Paleo Plan
Ignore the Paleo designation,its just good healthy recipes.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:25 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,293,226 times
Make reservations!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 AM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Pik, it might be easier to just get a new fiancé? I have no patience for picky eaters.

When I married my husband he had a few food issues, but he was open to trying new things. Can't you sweet talk him into trying more things...meeting you half way? My DH still won't eat sour cream or cream cheese, but he will eat them hidden in things. He didn't like tuna casserole, or any foods mixed together, but now he's ok with most casseroles.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,658,614 times
Tell him to cook.

I can't stand for a picky eater to dictate what I cook. We all have preferences and it's fine to honor those most of the time, but trying to bend over backward for a picky eater is exhausting. My daughter is a vegetarian because of her concerns about animal cruelty, but sometimes I cook meat and just tell her to eat it or fix herself something else. My husband has a few dislikes that I work around, like he doesn't like mushrooms or big chunks of tomatoes in food and that's fine. But to issue blanket prohibitions on big groups of food? No.

As far as your original question, there must be a million chicken and beef recipes on the internet.

But I'd suggest that if he's going to be that particular, he can cook at least half the time.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:48 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,925,221 times
Try making Slumgolian... It is Czechoslovakian peasant stew.... Our version includes ground beef, cabbage & rotini noodles.... You can add zucchini if you want....

1. Brown the ground beef and use lemon pepper to season then drain.....
2. cook the noodles per usual until soft but not mushy then drain.....
3. sweat the cabbage in a pot with lid and about 1/2 inch water and lemon pepper to season and drain any excess water...
4. if adding zucchini cut into strips and cook like the cabbage......
5. Mix all together in pot....
6. Serve with buttered bread - sheepherders is good for this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink