Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 09:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We don’t eat a lot of bacon...maybe once a week, or less. Nothing would compel me to buy turkey bacon. It sounds awful.
It is not awful. It is perfectly fine. It is better, in fact, than some badly cooked restaurant bacon I’ve gotten in restaurants. How does a restaurant that specializes in breakfasts not know how to cook bacon properly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 01:49 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is not awful. It is perfectly fine. It is better, in fact, than some badly cooked restaurant bacon I’ve gotten in restaurants. How does a restaurant that specializes in breakfasts not know how to cook bacon properly?
I know, right? We were served burned bacon in a restaurant called the Omelette House. Please.

I’m going to try turkey bacon, just because you said it’s good.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:39 PM

130,197 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I haven't had it in a while, but the time I did buy it & cook it, I liked it, but hubby didn't. Maybe I will buy a pack for myself

Old 11-01-2020, 04:24 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Just don't overcook it.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
My real bacon has the following ingredients:

PORK, WATER, SEA SALT, CELERY JUICE POWDER

2 strips has about 90 calories, 8 gms fat of which 2 are saturated, and 6 gms of protein.

My houseguest's turkey bacon has the following ingredients:

TURKEY, SUGAR, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF POTASSIUM LACTATE, WATER, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SMOKE FLAVOR, SODIUM ASCORBATE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM NITRITE, SOY LECITHIN. CONTAINS: SOY.

2 strips has 70 calories, 5 gms of fat of which 2 are saturated, and 4 gms of protein.

The real bacon is marginally higher in calories and total fat, has the same amount of saturated fat, and is higher in protein. It is also minimally processed and devoid of artificial ingredients.

I can't see how anyone would think the turkey bacon is a particularly healthy alternative to real bacon.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know, right? We were served burned bacon in a restaurant called the Omelette House. Please.

I’m going to try turkey bacon, just because you said it’s good.
Buy Oscar Meyer. I think Butterball is good too. I think that was the brand I bought in St. Louis. I like Jennie-O the least.

Let me know if you like it.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My real bacon has the following ingredients:

PORK, WATER, SEA SALT, CELERY JUICE POWDER

2 strips has about 90 calories, 8 gms fat of which 2 are saturated, and 6 gms of protein.

My houseguest's turkey bacon has the following ingredients:

TURKEY, SUGAR, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF POTASSIUM LACTATE, WATER, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SMOKE FLAVOR, SODIUM ASCORBATE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM NITRITE, SOY LECITHIN. CONTAINS: SOY.

2 strips has 70 calories, 5 gms of fat of which 2 are saturated, and 4 gms of protein.

The real bacon is marginally higher in calories and total fat, has the same amount of saturated fat, and is higher in protein. It is also minimally processed and devoid of artificial ingredients.

I can't see how anyone would think the turkey bacon is a particularly healthy alternative to real bacon.
When DH had his bypass I had to attend a “class” about food. I thought then the emphasis on low fat was outdated then (2000) but that is what was preached. No fat and low salt. DH asked me to buy turkey bacon, and I obliged.

There is definitely less fat and probably less salt in turkey bacon. I’ve patted both products many times between paper towels. When I do buy regular bacon, I buy center cut, to reduce unneeded fat. I always get more fat off the pork bacon even then.

I would not call regular pork bacon “minimally processed” although I admit it is not as manufactured as turkey bacon. Regular bacon is cured, often with chemicals and salt. I like bacon. I fix it several times a year. But I don’t mind eating turkey bacon. It is not nasty or horrible.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:13 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
When DH had his bypass I had to attend a “class” about food. I thought then the emphasis on low fat was outdated then (2000) but that is what was preached. No fat and low salt. DH asked me to buy turkey bacon, and I obliged.

There is definitely less fat and probably less salt in turkey bacon. I’ve patted both products many times between paper towels. When I do buy regular bacon, I buy center cut, to reduce unneeded fat. I always get more fat off the pork bacon even then.

I would not call regular pork bacon “minimally processed” although I admit it is not as manufactured as turkey bacon. Regular bacon is cured, often with chemicals and salt. I like bacon. I fix it several times a year. But I don’t mind eating turkey bacon. It is not nasty or horrible.
We tried turkey bacon after hubbie’s heart issue. Nope. Not good. Not good at all. Since he’s on a low salt diet, we tried the uncured low sodium bacon sold at Whole Foods. It’s not as good as “regular” high salt bacon, but it’s way better than the turkey stuff.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:54 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My health nut daughter suggested i try turkey bacon rather than regular bacon,
My take=
looks kinda weird,
Doesnt smell like bacon when cooking,
doesnt taste like bacon,
has a rather rubbery texture when eating it,
Has a rather synthetic aftertaste,
Yuck! inedible!
I'll not be fooled again,its gonna be real bacon or no bacon..
If it didn’t squeal, it ain’t bacon.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:57 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
But I don’t mind eating turkey bacon. It is not nasty or horrible.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I regularly eat turkey sausage, but think turkey bacon is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink