Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 08:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,858,990 times

Advertisements

OP is telling the truth. I have been told this before at Starbucks. "We don't have decaf because it's the evening." Wait, what? Some people don't want to stay up all night so they want decaf in the evening and the employees refused to brew it for me. And no, pour over is not acceptable. It doesn't taste good. But I wasn't even offered a pour over either so I left with nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 08:39 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,196,294 times
2015?

Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,822,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatest View Post
Some people in this thread equate a "pour over" with real coffee.
I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And no, pour over is not acceptable. It doesn't taste good.
"Pour over," or as I, a non-hipster, call it, "Melitta," is my favorite way to make coffee. I drink it at home. I make a fresh cup two or three times a day. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like it.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:04 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoosBall View Post
I stopped at a Starbucks last evening for dessert. I wanted to be able to fall sleep fairly early, so I asked for my coffee to be DECAF. Other people who were behind me in line were getting their beverages first. Turns out Starbucks has to individually make the decaf. Took several minutes extra. The barista said it was some kind of "pour over method" to decaffeinate it. It just felt like I made her do extra work for my decaf. I didn't ask her, but: Wouldn't it make sense for Starbucks to keep a pot of decaf coffee brewing in the evening hours???
I ask for a decaf Americano. That’s the way to go in your situation. They make those up from scratch anyway, and it is not as long a wait. Or you can ask for a decaf latte. Yeah, I know they are more expensive, but ordering one of these is less hassle.

Panera doesn’t have decaf after lunch either. They SAY they’ll make up a pot, but don’t hold your breath.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,714,499 times
Any respectable coffeehouse should have decaf available for patrons--regardless of time of day.

Starbucks management might want to educate themselves about many conditions which can be aggravated by caffeine, such as mood disorders, glaucoma, fibrocystic breasts, Tourette Syndrome, Parkinson's, IBS, etc., etc.--and that's notwithstanding customers' simple preference for decaf.

How sad that they can't get a cup of coffee at a place like Starbucks, which never misses an opportunity to brag about its inclusiveness and social awareness.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:16 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,093,605 times
But I imagine that as a business, Starbucks found that their stores were throwing away more brewed decaf throughout the day than they were selling. Offering a pour-over on demand or ordering a decaf espresso drink fills that niche without so much waste.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:21 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,891,933 times
If I want coffee, I make it at home and take it with me.
I never stop at Starbucks or Mountain Mudd or Castle Coffee or City Brew to buy expensive colored water.
I like coffee that has some body to it. It doesn't have to dissolve a silver spoon, but it should at least tarnish it!

Give me COFFEE!! or I will not be back.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:07 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,146,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatest View Post
Some people in this thread equate a "pour over" with real coffee. You can make make a pour over at home or in your hotel room with a $1.00 piece of plastic, why would you go to Starbucks for a "Pour Over"?

First off, the coffee sits, while they literally wait for the coffee to drain, and then they pour some more, because it takes a few pours to make a grande. So by the time you get it, it isn't hot, its been sitting. What's worse is they often forget about it and you. It's over there on he side out of sight out of mind.

There is no brewing. So there is no body to the coffee. Tastes like the old instant coffee in a teaspoon that you mix with hot water.

So you wait 5-10 minutes (usually I have to remind someone that it's sitting there and I haven't been served), for a cold, watery cup of coffee. Why even bother? Just go to DD's McD's, or your local dinner who have fresh brewed decafe 100% of the time, and if they don't have a fresh pot they will make one for you. I don't really understand Starbucks marketing strategy here except to say "go some place else". Do they still make Sanka? It's just as good/maybe better than a "pour over".

You poor thing. You have never had a pour done correctly. It's a great cup of coffee.

I get a pour over or americano decaf wherever I go and have no problems.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
I love Starbucks Americanos. I like them iced in the summer. You are getting a solid cup of coffee with one of those.

I like buying the occasional coffee house cup. It is a treat I enjoy.

It is amazing how judgy some people are about others’ indulgences.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:36 PM

96 posts, read 57,376 times
NiKam's rules:
1. Avoid Starbucks
2. Avoid any other chain
3 Go to a cafe where the barista knows your name and can make your coffee exactly how you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink