Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 03:29 PM

781 posts, read 736,642 times

Advertisements

My diet changed dramatically after I got my slow-cooker. I needed to cut down the acidity of my diet after having a bout of GERD, found out from a book I read that the government requires processed/pre-packaged foods must have a certain level of acidity. I use all basic ingredients in the slow cooker (except for fruit and raw nuts obviously); whole chickens, roast beef, rice, potatoes, various non-starchy vegetables, coconut oil, olive oil, salt, pepper and raw un-filtered honey for my coffee; that's about it. When I made the change to this diet the weight started falling off of me, 25 pounds in 4 months. And crazily I was completely sedentary during that period too due to an insane school schedule.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
....... lunch is the same everyday (big ass salad with a 3/4 cup of beans), ......
Whoa - I'll bet come supper time nobody comes into the kitchen to bother you! "Mom, are we having aged cheese AGAIN?"

Old 05-18-2015, 05:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Actually that's quite moderate for a large male weightlifter. I've seen several comments on the size of the meal - all from women who are probably much smaller in size and not doing much weightlifting! Also, cantaloupes don't have as much sugar as their taste would suggest, and they're very low in calories.

I don't think diet has as much to do with health as I once did. I've spent some time looking at lists of healthy countries and high longevity countries, and they all vary widely in traditional foods. Swiss people live about as long as Japanese and are healthy, yet the two have dramatically different diets. I was also intrigued to find out that a few other European countries such as Germany have long, healthy lives on average, even though they eat a large amount of both fats and sugars.

I've taken a turn to the healthy recently, at least to some extent, but I doubt it will make much difference at this point. Some of the goodies I've started eating are: Amy's reduced sodium refried black beans, no-salt-added wildcaught sardines, Bionaturae stone-ground organic whole wheat fusilli (basically a kind of rotini) which tastes much better than whole wheat products from the hippy era, almost as good as white, organic rice, and Organic Valley cheddar cheese and American cheese slices, which are very expensive and very good, even smoother than Gouda (which I consider to be like a superior type of cheddar).

For veggies, I've gone organic on mixed salad greens to replace lettuce, carrots, broccoli, kiwi, olive oil, eggs, humus, store-ground peanut butter, salsa, canned tomatoes, and tomatoes in season. These are only a little more expensive than conventional in California which is a great place to go organic., and some such as the carrots, cheese, and fresh tomatoes taste better.

My meals are a bit simpler now to lessen the stress on my enlarged liver, but not much because I love tinkering in the kitchen with exotic mixes of whole foods.
I'm not scared of the sugar in fruit, but that is just my own opinion.

As you suggested, I'm trying to gain some muscle. Nowhere near a huge weightlifter, but some. I also work 10.5 hours at a warehouse. I could eat 2000 calories a day and still lose weight. Im at around 2900 calories at the moment with the surplus. So a 300 calorie or even a 500 calorie meal doesn't really cut it.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I'm not scared of the sugar in fruit, but that is just my own opinion.

Sugar is sugar is sugar.

Sugar in fruit is just as bad for you as eating a tablespoon of sugar.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Whatever keeps them out from underfoot! Seriously though, that's been my lunch for so many years that it doesn't even effect me anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Whoa - I'll bet come supper time nobody comes into the kitchen to bother you! "Mom, are we having aged cheese AGAIN?"

Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Sugar is sugar is sugar.

Does a tablespoon of sugar have vitamins, antioxidants , fiber, lower calories, etc. like fruit does?

It doesn't. Sure it is sugar, but we are talking about a healthy sugar that has vitamins, loads of antioxidants depending on the fruit, and fiber which most people don't get enough eating junk food.

Fruit and regular white sugar is not the same. Eating a banana has sugar, but loaded with many other good things for our body.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:20 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Sugar is sugar is sugar.

Sugar per se is not "bad for you". Sugar excess is. Most people have a sugar excess problem.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:24 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Does a tablespoon of sugar have vitamins, antioxidants , fiber, lower calories, etc. like fruit does?

It doesn't. Sure it is sugar, but we are talking about a healthy sugar that has vitamins, loads of antioxidants depending on the fruit, and fiber which most people don't get enough eating junk food.

Fruit and regular white sugar is not the same. Eating a banana has sugar, but loaded with many other good things for our body.
It's still sugar. Your body processes sugar from fruit exactly the same way it processes sugar from a candy bar.

Sugar in any form is one of the worst things you can do for your body.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:28 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Good healthy food is my preference most of the time!

Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Studies reveal that "teetotalers" are not as healthy and do not live as long.
I'm a teetotaler for cultural reasons, and we were told teetotalers live healthier lives by avoiding liver damage.

I eat my standard 4 meals per day in proper moderation. I'm 22, so there isn't much of an issue with cholesterol yet. I also exercise regularly.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 05-21-2015 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink