Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 08:19 AM

194 posts, read 303,878 times

Advertisements

Hi there, fellow foodies!

Well, only a handful of American cities have been graced with a Fogo de Chao, and I happen to live in one of them. This Brazillian churrascaria seems to *always* get rave reviews, and I'm pretty curious to see if it lives up to the hype!

How would you rate your experience there? Do they really bombard you with sizzling meat the second you flip your coaster over?
Also, if you have multiple servers bringing you meat, who gets the tip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,795 times
I've never been to this chain...but I have been to the same concept...called Rio 22...Brazilian place where the guy walks around with meat on swords.

I had a good time. It was a birthday party of 25 people so it was fun. This place had salad bar on top of all the meat. But yes that's how it works with the coaster, you flip it one way if you want the guy to consider you when coming with the next thing. Every sword has a different meat.

I wouldn't eat there too often, but it's something fun and different to try.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
The Ironbound section of Newark NJ has a sizeable Brazilian population and a number of rodizio places, if you're feeling carnivorous they're a good deal, you could sit for as long as you like and they'll keep bringing meat 'til you cry no mas

Old 01-19-2008, 11:07 AM

268 posts, read 1,159,898 times
Yes, I've been there more than once, but not by choice though. I've been to the one in Dallas (Addison), Wash DC, and Minneapolis. They were all for business dinners with the team and co-workers, and so they were all paid for by the company I work for. I'm not much of a meat eater which is why it wouldn't be my first choice, BUT they do have a fantastic salad bar with more upscale type vegetables such as asparagus and artichoke hearts. And the meat they serve is pretty much everything imaginable...everything from filet mignon and various cuts of beef and steak to lamb, veal, sausage, and chicken and more. They also have typical Brazillian fare on each table such as the fried bananas and potato cakes (not sure what they are called, but they are good). The restaurant has a good atmosphere and is great for group dinners and special occasions. I work with mostly men, and they all LOVED all of that meat.

No, you are not "bombarded" the second you flip your coaster. Nobody's eyes are that good, and no one is watching your every move and just waiting for you to flip your coaster over. Even if your coaster is on the green side and it's not the meat that you want, you can always tell the server "no, thanks", and they will politely move on to the next person.

To answer your tip question, I'm guessing that the tips are all pooled together at the end of the night, and the money is divided among all the service staff.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Is there one in New Orleans? If so, I've been to it. I thought is was a fun experience..something different, but truthfully I am a small eater and I was full after the buffet.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times
the food is good, the service is usually very good and its also expensive.

is it amazing ?
nope, Ive ate at 3 of them including one in brasil and I never considered them amazing...

Old 01-21-2008, 06:27 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,816 times
Have been to the one in Atlanta (Buckhead). If you like meat - you'll love it. They have an incredible "food bar" as well -all sorts of wonderful gourmet items. Again you must be a meat eater to enjoy. Guys will love the meat - gals will love the "food bar".

Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 AM

194 posts, read 303,878 times
Not New Orleans, but there is one in Atlanta.

Sounds like a meat lovers *dream*!

But yes, I have heard it's *really* expensive.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM

59 posts, read 396,412 times
I have been to the one in Philly twice. I am a vegetarian, so it's not as exciting for me...as someone posted earlier though, they do have a great salad bar and sides dishes that they bring to the table. My fiance is quite the carnivore and loves it. Not all of the meats are fantastic...but certainly worth going. There service has been great both times I have been there.

Also there's a pretty big difference in price between lunch and dinner. Lunch is 30 and dinner is either 50 or 60. There is NO difference in the menu between lunch and dinner...just the price.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
the one in Chicago - if you love meat - is pretty fabulous. And yes, about 30 seconds after we flipped our cards to green - the gauchos started showing up with meat.

Very pricey, go for lunch if its at all possible. But a fun treat to enjoy once and a while!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink