Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
At this point in my life I'm starting to bake. Got a KitchenAid mixer and raring to learn. With cooking per se I never measure-just eyeball everything so being precise is something new.

Love all your stories and aren't we all just amazing!!!
lovelovelove my kitchenaid, got the pasta attachment, love to make homemade pasta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
lovelovelove my kitchenaid, got the pasta attachment, love to make homemade pasta!
I second that. I couldn't live without my Kitchen Aid.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
I was supposed to learn to cook? Nobody told me.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
mojo marinated baked chicken, yellow rice, fried plantains, and black beans tonight..... STILL painting, at least I have moved on to the furniture.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
My mom was a decent cook who HATED HATED HATED cooking. Many nights we'd come home to bean and cheese burritos (which were good but got old after a while).

My grandmom taught me some but since we lived in Germany and she lived in El Paso, that wasn't an ongoing thing. So I taught myself a lot.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,602 times
I learned the traditional cooking from my mother , I also learned new recepis from the tv programs and cook books . Now I can do a few dishes perfectly but I still find some difficulties in my cook and I keep trying .

Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Oh, gosh, what nice stories. Thanks, all.

I always thought my mom was a good cook. Now, I'm not sure if my tastes have changed or she's turned into an ok/bland cook.

She always worked full time and I had 2 younger sisters. It started with her calling me while she was at work and asking me to heat something up in the oven or on the stove. Then it progressed to preparing meals (yes, I baked my first chicken with the giblets still inside). She never measured things either and I think I got that from her.

As a kid, I used to like to bake things, too, but not so much any more. First hubby used to tell me "I eat to live...you live to eat" and he was right. He liked meat, potatoes and maybe 2 or 3 veggies. No desserts, not many sauces. He was a banker and, on occasion, we would entertain. At first, we hired a caterer. I looked at the food she was bringing in and realized I could do just as well if not better for a lot less $$. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus and they did a lot of dinners there. I watched the cook and that's where I learned to cook for crowds and to make killer prime rib. I can't eat it in restaurants any more because mine's usually better. We also used to go out a lot and, consequently, became friends with bartenders and restaurant owners. Hence, more secrets.

Then the Food Network came along...... What can I say?

DH (the current one, of course) loves to eat, which is not good for either of us, because now I make desserts on occasion and can experiment with a number of different recipes. About the only things banned from our house include lima beans (yuk), curry powder (DH hates it!) and liver (I won't go near the stuff!). I make a darned good shrimp alfredo that is pretty close to fat free and you'd never know it. Hmmmm... that's sounding pretty good, to tell you the truth!

Thanks for starting this thread. It's a fun one!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Summer job, Jersey shore, cooking in a luncheonette.

Best summers I ever had

Then alternating cooking duties in a college fraternity house.

More about mass quantity than fine dining, lots of spaghetti

Now it's because I like to eat and have learned for the most part it's not rocket science. I make no claims to haute cuisine but can usually turn out a decent meal in less time than it'd take me to run out to Abudanza Burger.

Last edited by burdell; 07-31-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 08:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Great stories NMS, Burdell and all. I learn everyday and am loving the "What's for Dinner" thread.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,973 times
I've been able to recreate some favorites from my childhood, mostly by trial & error.

Now I love watching the food shows on TV, but I get most of my inspiration from the "What's for Dinner" thread on this site. Learned some great new recipes there.

Now that we're not making nearly as much money as we used to, I actually enjoy cooking new things at home. Going out to dinner is a treat (rather than a "necessity"), and some restaurants that we used to go to frequently don't even appeal to me any more (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink