Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:56 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I have a friend who's a brand snob. I take great glee in serving him a Scotch and telling him it's an expensive single-malt . The later I show him the bottle- an unrecognizable brand from Winco.
He may just be too polite to tell you your scotch tastes cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 09:58 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm just wondering, since there are so many here who act that way..

What is "pretentious in regards to food"?

I seldom eat fast food because it tastes bad to me. I like to try new foods, and I am open to ethnic foods - I love Thia, Indian, Eastern European, German, Japanese, Caribbean, Middle Eastern, Greek Italian, Mexican, Spanish and Cuban. Ditto all of the "fusions". And American regional foods are also interesting. From New England to South Florida, Tex Mex and Southern - there are many cuisines that have evolved right in our borders. I like trying new things.

Yes I like to eat whole food, but it's not a must at every meal. I love baking and deserts and no, I am not changing an old recipe that is perfect to make it more healthy.

Poorly prepared food does not interest me. Which is why I avoid fast food.

Sometimes I like to explore old cook books - particularly those from the middle of the last century. Those people ate a lot of very strange and unique foods that were influenced by the abundance of the day and the instant short cuts that became available in the post war period.

I am open minded and I guess, for lack of a better word I do think of myself as a bit of a foodie - and no - I have never in my life had a "Big Mac Attack".

I do not think that's at all pretentious. I don't think junk tastes good.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:04 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
There is nothing better than iceberg lettuce as far as I'm concerned. The only other lettuce that I like that isn't eschewed by the lettuce snobs is romaine.

My main uses for iceberg lettuce are:

Chopped and piled on top of chilaquiles - nothing better in this world to me
Chopped along with roma tomatoes and white onions on top of or stuffed into enchiladas, tacos, taco salad, Frito pie and stuffed sopaipillas
Torn off into individual leafs for hamburgers
Torn up into pieces for a simple salad with tomatoes, celery, carrots and mushrooms topped with Ranch dressing, which is the only kind of dressing I like (I know, the horror )
Torn off into chunks and devoured just like that
Well you can't be all bad if you like chilaquiles

But if you put iceberg lettuce on my, you'll be wearing it!. For me, if I'm going to top chilaquiles with anything, a layer of very thinly sliced onion (vidalia or spanish work) on top gives it a nice texture.

And I'll agree on shredded iceberg in tacos, etc. because it adds texture w/o tasting like anything. Just does nothing for me in a salad. Give me the pretentious bitter weeds (with a non-creamy dressing!).

Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
"A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thou singing beside me in the wilderness-- Oh wilderness were Paradise enow!"
Omar Khayyam

Old 05-23-2015, 10:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Your loss and my gain.
Yup, lots of carbs and calories in...........

Old 05-23-2015, 11:59 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My favorite is when a thoroughly pedestrian dish becomes suddenly appropriated as hot gourmet trend.
Yeah, this can definitely get silly, but at the same time I do think it's fun when a dish that holds a special home or history/memory connection for people (a "grandma-used-to-make" or "pedestrian" dish) gets drawn into the limelight for a while or "elevated" as they say (I hope that sounds really pretentious!). Those at-home, simple dishes are important and loved, and it's fun to see them recognized as such from time to time, especially if it gives me a window into someone's point of view. As long as it tastes good, who cares. It's just supposed to be fun and yummy!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:07 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
"A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thou singing beside me in the wilderness-- Oh wilderness were Paradise enow!"
Omar Khayyam
Throw some cheese on that and I'll be there.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:43 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
In regards to boards, the "Food and Drink" forum of this site is one of the least pretentious and most diverse. You have your foodies, dieters, gourmets, drinkers, non-drinkers, people not so much interested in food but they'll check in here once in a while, and various anti-macronutrient/ingredient contigents (anti-fat, anti-carb, anti-sugar, anti-sodium, anti-milk, anti-riboflavin etc.)

Old 05-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Throw some cheese on that and I'll be there.
That's what I was about to write ..... a nice thick slab of ripe Camembert cheese, or some stinky blue-veined cheese. Of course if it's French bread all that's needed is butter.

I'd probably stop the girl from singing and tell her to do something useful, like swatting flies and mosquitoes away from me while I savor the food and wine.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:25 PM

412 posts, read 545,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What is "pretentious in regards to food"?

I seldom eat fast food because it tastes bad to me. I like to try new foods, and I am open to ethnic foods - I love Thia, Indian, Eastern European, German, Japanese, Caribbean, Middle Eastern, Greek Italian, Mexican, Spanish and Cuban. Ditto all of the "fusions". And American regional foods are also interesting. From New England to South Florida, Tex Mex and Southern - there are many cuisines that have evolved right in our borders. I like trying new things.

Yes I like to eat whole food, but it's not a must at every meal. I love baking and deserts and no, I am not changing an old recipe that is perfect to make it more healthy.

Poorly prepared food does not interest me. Which is why I avoid fast food.

Sometimes I like to explore old cook books - particularly those from the middle of the last century. Those people ate a lot of very strange and unique foods that were influenced by the abundance of the day and the instant short cuts that became available in the post war period.

I am open minded and I guess, for lack of a better word I do think of myself as a bit of a foodie - and no - I have never in my life had a "Big Mac Attack".

I do not think that's at all pretentious. I don't think junk tastes good.
I agree with all of this. What I would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink