Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 PM

230 posts, read 526,542 times

Advertisements

Beans have a lot of fiber and are filling.

Plus they're good for your heart, the more you eat, the more you fart.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,183,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
Beans are eaten by lots of people, whether in a bowl of water, mashed, spread around enchiladas, tacos, nachos, used as dip during gameday, etc. but whats the point of beans? to me, they have no taste. its considers a boring food, in fact, its the worst food in the world. you take a bite out of beans, its like eating rotten potatoes. why can we just eat simpler and more enjoyable foods like a bacon/egg taco, steak w/corn or peas, meatloaf, etc? beans are a waste of time.
Are you sure that someone didn't actually feed you rotten potatoes and told you it was beans?

I didn't like beans all that much when young, and I get terrible flatulence from them unless they're drained, rinsed, and eaten with yogurt or some other probiotic at the meal.

As a young adult, they were mostly survival food ..... I would eat the ordinary Campbell's pork and beans that has a little blob of fatback and a lot of sugar and salt in it ... most often I would eat it right out of the can with some hot sauce mixed in. That was good. Another way I liked beans was as a kidney bean and chopped onion salad, mixed thoroughly with some vinegar, oil, and salt.

Black beans make a great vegan burger with some other stuff if you go through a vegetarian phase. Right now I'm using Amy's organic Refried Black Beans on corn-and-flour tortillas. Amy's is great, it costs over $3 per can but is seasoned perfectly, has a few other ingredients. And of course black beans are good blended with salsa and fresh garlic in a food processor to make dip.

Black beans are getting a lot of good press as a health food lately, but that's probably just another fad.

Chickpeas (garbanzos) are great scattered into ordinary green salads with bleu cheese dressing. They're indispensable for Middle Eastern cooking, such as falafel or hummus dip. They're good in some Indian vegetable stews, and I know Italians go nuts over them but don't remember in what.

Italians also like cannellini beans and the like in soups such as pasta e fagioli.

Sometimes Boston-style baked beans are very good, but other times not so much.

I like chili better with some beans such as pinto and kidney mixed in with the meat.

Last edited by Woof; 06-08-2015 at 11:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,768,884 times
What a buncha beaners.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:11 AM

756 posts, read 836,167 times
Cool I Agree:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
Beans are eaten by lots of people, whether in a bowl of water, mashed, spread around enchiladas, tacos, nachos, used as dip during gameday, etc. but whats the point of beans? to me, they have no taste. its considers a boring food, in fact, its the worst food in the world. you take a bite out of beans, its like eating rotten potatoes. why can we just eat simpler and more enjoyable foods like a bacon/egg taco, steak w/corn or peas, meatloaf, etc? beans are a waste of time.
Bacon?
Eggs?

I agree with you about (Pinto) beans. Eat them raw and get cramps. Eat them cooked and they are nasty. And it takes like more than one DAY to soak and cook them?! But I am hungry NOW! They are supposed to be cheap and affordable source of protein and etc. But the hidden cost is some thing to make them taste better. I prefer them with salsa and tortillas.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:21 AM

761 posts, read 834,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Beans have a lot of fiber and are filling.

Plus they're good for your heart, the more you eat, the more you fart.
Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So we have beans at every meal!

or my personal favorite:

Beans, beans, they give you gas
They make you fart, and burn your ass
The more you eat, the more it hurts
So slow down your eating to stop the squirts

Old 06-09-2015, 06:27 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,276,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post

I've heard the "musical fruit" and "good for the heart" versions, but never encountered this one before. Thanks for teaching me a new one.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,402,779 times
Two members of our family are vegetarian, so we serve beans nearly every day in some form or another. My favorites are garbanzo and cranberry beans. The more often you eat them, the less gastric distress. The enzymes in your gut adjust pretty quickly.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:14 AM

496 posts, read 397,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So we have beans at every meal!

or my personal favorite:

That last one had me ROFL! Thanks for a good belly laugh!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,248,825 times
I love beans! I usually add them to salads and pasta dishes... although my kids like to eat them straight from the can. I recently tried a veg'n "pate" made from lentils, and it was amazing!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,402,779 times
Oh, I forgot about lentils. Love lentils!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.