Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 AM

779 posts, read 922,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
We love our Tawainese Minced pork with stewed eggs. Or I would make a Cuban marinated for three days pork shoulder with all the usual sides of rice and beans, garlicky yuca, tostones, avocado/tomato salad etc.
Hmmmm, that sounds good, I love mostly anything with egg! I'll have to find a local Taiwanese restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Chicken Kiev over a bed of Wild Rice Pilaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Chicken kabsa with toasted almonds and raisins. Lemon hummus on the side with plenty of pita.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Since I don't know you or what you like to eat, I would make you reservations somewhere else! Now, after I get to know you, I may make you some Swiss steak, or homemade chicken pot pie (crust and all), OR marinated and grilled pork chops with my choice of sides - and you do the dishes!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
When asking for something special, my family always wants homemade macaroni with Sunday gravy so I guess that would be what I make for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Every Friday night, I make pizza out on the grill. I make usually about three different small pies, but my favorite is always the margherita. Fresh dough, fresh basil, fresh roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella. So good, especially with a tall glass of elderflower lemonade.

I also made some zucchini boats this weekend that were to die for. They were filled with bulgur, chicken Italian sausage, roma tomatoes, fresh parsley, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. I topped them with feta cheese and stuck under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. Ate them with tzatziki and pita bread. They were amazing and my husband was begging me to make them again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Since it's warm out how about a curried chicken salad with red grapes, pineapple and almonds? I'll make some parmesan bread sticks to go with it.

And for dessert we'll have a big piece of key lime pie with a gingersnap crust.

If you're a meat and potatoes sort of person we'll grill some marinated beef kabobs with onions, tomatoes and mushrooms and eat it on a bed of wild rice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Herb crusted pork tenderloin stuffed with dried apricots & garlic, drizzled with espagnole sauce
Rosemary roasted potatoes
A tossed baby green salad straight from my garden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
One has been..
-A huge portabello mushroom sliced inside to welcome the flavors of
butter, fr garlic, salt, fresh gr pepper and parmesan...sprinkled with red wine..
grilled outside wrapped in foil.
-a few perfectly steamed asparagus
-With a filet mignon grilled, with pressed kosher salt, med rare, dollop of apple chutney on
the side for whatever.
-Fresh salad with basil, cilantro, parsley...
blue cheese, walnuts, maybe bacon, thin sliced sweetened onions, pitted cured black
olives on org greens....you get the picture...tossed with EVOO, a bit of toasted sesame oil,
lemon and a little soy sauce or seasoned rice vinegar or both...not too much of any one thing.
(Or a satay based dressing, love Thai.)

(I serve on enormous, heavy restaurant plates...more like round platters!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It'd be a garlic fest:

Bruschetta on crostini
Shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta
Mesclun (spring mix) salad with dill and parsley, with crumbled gorgonzola, candied pecans, and my dressing I make with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and oregano.
White asparagus with garlic, tamari, and olive oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
If I'm making it for you, then I'd probably make my grilled and marinated flanksteak, au gratin potatoes, and pan roasted asparagus with toasted garlic, parmesan and fresh lemon. Cheddar stuffed croissants, too. My grandmother's family's spice cake and really good coffee for dessert.

If my husband was making it, reservations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I think I've perfected coq au vin to the point I'm very proud of it. I base my dish on a recipe I got out of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about 25 years ago. (Pittsburgh is a city filled with people who love to cook ... just check out their PBS station's programming, it's chock full of cooking shows.) For family meals, my extended family likes my spaghetti and meatballs and that is a request I get a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Everyone loves my home made pirogi - which I stuff with a variety of fillings - from potato and onion, to cheddar cheese and potato, to sauerkraut, and minced mushroom.

I am known for my home made pirogi.

I generally serve them with beet salad, coleslaw, cucumber salad, and potato dill salad with a variety of pickles.

My desert would be a nut or apricot roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Liver and onions. Serves you right for trying to sponge a meal off me.

If I really thought you were serious and not a picky eater, then Lamb Couscous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Shiskabobs with all your favorites on them!

Homemade peach ice cream with pralines on the side for dessert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Grilled bone in rib eye steak, grilled corn on the cob, home made potato salad, grilled garlic bread. A Caesar salad, and ice tea. Dessert would be home made peach cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This would totally depend on your tastes, the time of the year and whether we are talking a snack, a full meal or a dessert.

If it were a salad, of course regardless of the time of year it would have my blue cheese dressing on it.

If it were winter and I was fixing you more than just a salad I would fix my split pea soup; even summer I might. We had it last night.

If it was a complete meal, and the weather was nice, probably smoked pork, either pulled or ribs; Asian salad and a side veggie, probably roasted asparagus with garlic and lemon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I guess I'd make you a perfectly grilled piece of fresh swordfish, with butter and lemon, some roasted root vegetables, like baby carrots and beets, with a salad of fresh local greens.
Some kind of old fashioned heavy dessert, like a chocolate layer cake, or a fruit pie.
Thanks guys! I'm delighted to see that no one insulted me with any vegan nonsense.

I have an idea, if you inbox me I'll send you guys my mailing address that way you can mail all of your dishes to me. Be sure to overnight them so they don't spoil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,092,282 times
A takeout menu.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Since everybody has made all of those entries for your dinner, I would make strawberry cheesecake for your dessert.
When I was a kid, and through much of my teen years I wasn't that found of cheesecake. But when I was in New York I had some REALLY good cheesecake. As long as the white stuff on top of the crust is soft, fluffy, and sweet it's good. But sometimes restaurants make theirs too firm and bitter in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Chocolate Mousse.

Okay...with just a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Got to love the chocolate!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 AM

813 posts, read 596,894 times
Cornbread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
venison more resembles lamb,,, than beef
I know that I've had lamb before, I just can't vividly remember what it tastes like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
never had it?? it is delicious!! if you do try it,,make sure it is boneless,,,the gamey flavor comes from the bone and fat

growing up, it seems everyone hunted around here,,,and we offered venison to family, friends and neighbors, that might be on hard times,,,

in the fall,,,,,if you drove in the country in maine,,,you would see deer hanging from a tree - all thru deer hunting season..
So you actually shot the deer and took it home and cooked it from scratch is what you're saying?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:44 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,731,828 times
Quote:
It's there over in Recipe forum for ya.
Thanks.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:53 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,672,354 times
If you just dropped by, I'd thaw out a meatloaf from the freezer.
If I had all the time in the world I'd make you my Greek chicken pie that takes five hours to make.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,783,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
...I'd thaw out a meatloaf from the freezer...

Old 06-11-2015, 03:42 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,226,455 times
Quote:
We love our Tawainese Minced pork with stewed eggs. Or I would make a Cuban marinated for three days pork shoulder with all the usual sides of rice and beans, garlicky yuca, tostones, avocado/tomato salad etc.
Figuring out pernil is near the top of my to do cooking list.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:43 PM

23,898 posts, read 32,210,946 times
My husband's absolute favorite meal is as follows -

Baked salmon with dill sauce. Garlic smashed potatoes, and asparagus with hollandaise.

For desert - Home made Cheese Cake OR my home made German Chocolate Cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink