Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times

Advertisements

I bought a large glass jar of large green olives that has expiration date 11-30-2016.

However, it also states "Refrigerate after opening (duh!)
Use within 2 weeks of opening"

Is there a reason for the short usage period after opening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:27 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Because you popped the airtight seal they were in. Once popped, you let in air, bacteria can form blah blah.

With all that said, if they are in the brine, I would use them past the two week. Just make sure the surface is free of mold and it smells fine. Also make sure the brine stays in the jar (don't drain the jar) and use clean spoons to scoop out the olives each time.

Biggest issue I have seen are people using "dirty" spoons contaminated with other foods and use it in things like olives, sour cream etc. I always have a spoon dedicated to each of the opened items. That allows them to last longer than the suggested use date.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:24 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Two weeks? That's ridiculous. I keep them until something happens to them and that's usually a pretty long time.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:56 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
liability reasons they put that stuff on there. Stuff in brine should last quite a while refrigerated but you never know. People love frivolous lawsuits.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I bought a large glass jar of large green olives that has expiration date 11-30-2016.

However, it also states "Refrigerate after opening (duh!)
Use within 2 weeks of opening"

Is there a reason for the short usage period after opening?
The experation date is simply the date it should be opened by; after opening it is different. We find this with things like whipping cream. It will last forever before being opened, but after that, spoil very quickly. As fo the olives, I had some stuffed olives with garlic recently. They were more than 2 weeks old, but not ancient and they spoiled. It surprised the heck out of me.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Oh my gosh, I've kept green olives -- after the jar has been opened -- for months! MANY months. And I'm one of those people who throw things out well before any doubt comes to mind.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
After opening, They get soft as they age. Even if they are not contaminated.

In the case of stuffed olives, the olives themselves aren't what spoils. It's the stuffing. Particularly with garlic, almonds and blue cheese. They can go funky in just days.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Yeah, just always use clean utensils to fish them out with and they'll last for months. They get a little softer as they age, but that doesn't bother me until they just get really mushy or dark.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh my gosh, I've kept green olives -- after the jar has been opened -- for months! MANY months. And I'm one of those people who throw things out well before any doubt comes to mind.
I think it depends on the type of green olive. I am used to just buying the cheap ones with pinentos in them. They do seem to keep for months. I use them rarely, mainly in martinis and some salads. The ones that seem to spoil more easily are the large ones, stuffed with onions, garlic, blue cheese whatever; the specialty ones anyway. They propably don't have the same preservatives in them I do use them for more than 2 weeks though.

Using clean utinsels is also a must. I think that may have been where I went wrong. I probably picked up something to get the olives out that had something on it: maybe it was that second martini. The first one I used a clean utinsel and I bet I put in down on the counter top or something. I don't think olives with mold on top helps the taste of martinis or bloody marys.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:52 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think it depends on the type of green olive. I am used to just buying the cheap ones with pinentos in them. They do seem to keep for months. I use them rarely, mainly in martinis and some salads. The ones that seem to spoil more easily are the large ones, stuffed with onions, garlic, blue cheese whatever; the specialty ones anyway. They propably don't have the same preservatives in them I do use them for more than 2 weeks though.

Using clean utinsels is also a must. I think that may have been where I went wrong. I probably picked up something to get the olives out that had something on it: maybe it was that second martini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The first one I used a clean utinsel and I bet I put in down on the counter top or something. I don't think olives with mold on top helps the taste of martinis or bloody marys.
Doesn't do much for the presentation, either.

I've never in my life had green olives go bad on me, or bad enough where I couldn't eat them (maybe it was that second martini ). Of course, they don't usually last that long without being eaten, either, but sometimes I'll find a forgotten jar in the fridge. Anyway, I eat all kinds, but I prefer them with the pit still in them, so that helps a lot.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 06-12-2015 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink