Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:36 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I also worked at a crabshack as a kid and I was in charge of making the local crabcakes. The old man who shared the recipe with me made me promise to never share so I can't. I still use his recipe. So simple and so good. I will throw this out there, though, most MD restaurants don't use Old Bay and I certainly don't. I much prefer J.O. Spice. I also prefer them broiled.
That's intersting. I spent many summers at Chincoteague as a kid (30+ years ago) and I remember Old Bay being a staple in the crab cakes. I think my favorite place was an old shack named McCready's on the road to Assateague and they had the best oyster fritter sandwiches I ever had. I'll look up J.O. Spice.

Unfortunately there is a distinct lack of seafood in Montana (fresh at least) so I have to make my crab cakes with canned crab. Not as good, but good enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Recipe printed on the side of the Old Bay can (this is the old recipe, new cans of Old Bay have a recipe that includes mustard powder):

2 slices bread, crusts removed
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp Old Bay
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 lb crab meat
enough milk to moisten bread

Break bread into small pieces and moisten with milk. Add remaining ingredients and shape into cakes (I like to make 6 cakes). Fry or broil until golden brown.
Ah thank-you! I looked up our old recipe card and that is it. I did't realize Old Bay changed the recipe.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:39 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Here is the recipe that our family followed- right from the can of Old Bay-

Chesapeake OLD BAY Crab Cakes

If you want a really good crab cake- try it. This is a gold standard recipe!

That's the new version as currently printed in the can. No Worcestershire sauce, and includes mustard powder. Still, a good recipe.

I don't think that green or red bell pepper, onion, or celery, should be part of a crab cake.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
That's the new version as currently printed in the can. No Worcestershire sauce, and includes mustard powder. Still, a good recipe.

I don't think that green or red bell pepper, onion, or celery, should be part of a crab cake.
I don't put that in mine.

After commenting on this thread I believe I will get my butt to the local market and buy some crab and oyster. I see a crab cake and an oyster fritter in my evening plans!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:45 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I love homemade crab cakes, using the the refrigerated crab from Costco. Like most, I don't order them out anymore, because the crab to filler ratio usually disappoints.

A favorite memory from when my kids were young was hauling up the crab cages off the dock at the Jersey shore. We picked the meat out over newspapers spread on the picnic table, and made crab sauce. Delicious!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:48 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
...I don't like worcestershire in mine, or Old Bay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
...most MD restaurants don't use Old Bay and I certainly don't. I much prefer J.O. Spice. I also prefer them broiled.

Since Old Bay didn't come on the market until the late 1930's, the very most traditional crab cake recipes don't include it. Certainly there are personal preferences between Old Bay, J.O., Wye River, or one of the many other local spice blends, but they're all pretty good.

I like to cook them by pan-frying in about 1/8" of peanut oil with a pat of butter for flavor. Deep-fried would be second choice, broiling third. But just like the choice of spice, they're all good.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Newspaper on the table, basket of crabs in the center, claw cracker and dish of vinegar at the ready. Who needs crab cakes?

Last time I went back to see my old friends in College Park, MD. Pouring rain, a bushel of fresh steamed crabs and beer.

That what I miss the most about living back there.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I'm with BulldogDad. Dungeness only for me! No crab cakes!

Old 06-13-2015, 12:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, my only source is canned crab meat, so that could be part of the problem.

Yesterday's recipe had no filler whatsoever and had homemade aioli for the binder, a bit of minced celery and chives, then they were dipped in flour, egg and panko. They were not bad, but they weren't remarkable. I also don't use Old Bay, because I think it overpowers the taste.

I remember being on the pier in San Francisco and they had big yummy cooked crabs for sale for about
$7. Super good.
I'm sorry to say this but you shouldn't really try to make anything with canned crab. It will be disappointing.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:08 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I don't like crab cakes either with all the heavy seasonings there's not crab flavor... till I saw this recipe ... these are GOOD....

Little Crab Cakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink