Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:03 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
for everyday bread, I get an olive semolina boule that I love. But for decadence, there's a Korean bakery near me that does a killer brioche walnut raisin honey loaf. It's almost a cake, it's so light and tender.
I never been to a korean bakery, jealous! I forgot we do have a Chinese bakery, their taro or milk bread are really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times
Not ****ting you, if you need some GOOD budget bread, go to Aldi's. Their bakery selection (its called "L'oven") has some amazing Multi-Grain bread. I loveeeee their breads, and they're a fraction of what you pay at full bakeries.

I'm still a bread snob... I'd prefer a local, private bakery any day. But Aldi's bakery selection is a close second choice to local.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:24 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
I am a freak about bakery bread. There are very few I do not like. My favourite really depends on my mood that day and I go through phases. Right now I seem to always crave Portugese sweet bread. Mmmmm....I might have to make a trip to the Portuguese bakery today.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
A marbled combination of white and rye.

My FAVORITE SANDWICH: Slap some mayo on, lay some Black forest ham over top, roasted red peppers, salt/pepper and havarti cheese over that. Devine! I like to wrap this in tin foil and heat (offset) over the grill.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Not ****ting you, if you need some GOOD budget bread, go to Aldi's. Their bakery selection (its called "L'oven") has some amazing Multi-Grain bread. I loveeeee their breads, and they're a fraction of what you pay at full bakeries.

I'm still a bread snob... I'd prefer a local, private bakery any day. But Aldi's bakery selection is a close second choice to local.
wow, I was about to say something similar. Aldi's has good bagels and a wonderful Italian bread. The problem with the Italian bread, the slices are huge and the loaf is as well. We are not huge bread eaters so it often does spoil. We also like Atlanta bread Company. My very favorite varieties are sour dough, and rye, with good quality grain just behind. Forget the plain white and wheat breads. In fact forget any really cheap bread. If I am going to eat bread I want it to be good, good, good.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 AM

315 posts, read 210,581 times
good old fashioned raisin bread - toasted and with butter.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 AM

315 posts, read 210,581 times
Guess I am a bread snob, too. I've been skipping it whenever I can and when I have it it is amazing. . .

rye
pumpernickel
multi-grain
onion

no white bread please

Old 06-16-2015, 09:18 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
GODDESS

We did get something called a million dollar bread loaf there, it was good! And then we got this giant boule looking bread from that brand, L'oven you mentioned. One slice in the middle filled up my toaster oven. And that one was decent too. The three cheese semolina one I mentioned is sold at the grocery store but it's shipped frozen from a California bakery, La Brea. That's our favorite "toasting" bread for breakfast with butter and marmite.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:13 AM

811 posts, read 1,146,098 times
This is cheating, but my husband's bakery (my kitchen...) puts out the best artisan bread around. Perfect French baguettes, for a start. What else do you need? Just some cheese and charcuterie, maybe?

One more "cheat": There's a restaurant (Thirteen, on St Thomas, VI) that freshly bakes heavenly focaccia throughout each evening. It's substantial (baked tall, not the pan-sized stuff you find in the store), crispy on the outside, soft, fluffy and with the right amount of toothiness on the inside, and sooo flavorful. Yum. Get it alongside soup or the mussels they have on the menu... good stuff.

No more cheating, though I'm surprised to pick it: Safeway (grocery store) used to put out this Asiago batard in their bakery department. it was sort of an Italian style loaf (a little denser than french bread, but still soft with a great crust) that was flecked with chunks of Asiago throughout (not crusted on top). Nothing beat a buttered, toasted slice of that stuff. Not sure it's around anymore (at least not in the same form) though.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM

983 posts, read 994,528 times
A crusty ciabatta from Wild Wheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink