Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Cheese with a little mold on it is perfectly fine. Just cut that bit off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Cheese with a little mold on it is perfectly fine. Just cut that bit off.
I suppose some people do this.

I 1) don't buy that much cheese that there is any left over and 2) follow the mantra of "if in doubt, throw it out".

Personally, I would much, much rather throw out any food in questionable condition and simply get fresh.

Life is too short to eat questionable food.

If one can afford to travel to be away for 6 weeks, one can afford to buy fresh food.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't understand why everybody has this huge hangup over milk. Maybe there is something special about the bargain brand of milk I get at WalMart, but I doubt it. If you are careful not to contaminate the milk in the jug (like by drinking from the jug) and keep the lid on tight, there will be no extraneous organisms in there to spoil it. After a month or so, even pasteurized milk willl clabber. It gets lumpy and acquires a sour, but not necessarily unpleasant taste which can be overcome by adding a sweetener if you wish. Nearly all packaged breakfast cereals contain so much sugar, clabbered milk will be perfectly fine, if tangy, on your cereal. Drinking a nice cold glass full of it might need a spoon of suger, a dash of molasses, or something to make more in tune with your tastes. If you bake with it, you don't even need to use baking powder, the clabbered milk will lift your dough. Perfect for French toast, too, mixed with the egg. A few things it's not so good for, like mashed potatoes.

Clabbered milk is an important component in most traditional cultures -- before there was refrigeration, milk was consumed fresh only a few hours after milking, and then a starter was added to it to clabber it quickly.. I first encountered it in Romania, where at about 9 am, the milk merchants would clabber the unsold milk, and sell it with a wonderful deep fried sugared scone, and everyone took a break from work at about ten, when the lapte bahut was ready from street vendors.

I now actually look forward to the last of a jug of milk clabbering, it makes a nice diversion in my everyday breakfast routine.
I think you have to realize you are in the minority here. Normally when milk starts to smell sour it is time to toss it. Yes, it can be used for a few things, but drinking certainly isn't one of them. That being said, I feel the way you do when it comes to buttermilk. I use it mainly in blue cheese dressing. I know my daughter, who does love the dressing only wants to eat it if she knows I have made the dressing in the past few days because she thinks the buttermilk is spoiled. I tell her, it just buttermilk. I guess we all have hang up and have habits others do not understand.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

I 1) don't buy that much cheese that there is any left over and 2) follow the mantra of "if in doubt, throw it out".

Personally, I would much, much rather throw out any food in questionable condition and simply get fresh.

If one can afford to travel to be away for 6 weeks, one can afford to buy fresh food.
If there is a particular type of cheese I really enjoy but isn't going to get eaten fast, I too keep it and just remove the molded part. I know many people who do the same. Often it is hard to find that small piece of your favorite cheese, so one has to buy a large piece. this has little if anything to do with what one can really afford. It has more to do with waste and/or convenience. Some might even say, using common sense. I think for those who prefer to throw everything out that is just fine. but for those who choose not to, that is fine as well. Most of us are not discussing eating spoiled foods, we know the difference.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:43 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This has little if anything to do with what one can really afford. It has more to do with waste and/or convenience. Some might even say, using common sense. I think for those who prefer to throw everything out that is just fine. but for those who choose not to, that is fine as well. Most of us are not discussing eating spoiled foods, we know the difference.
Exactly. And perhaps a lot of people really don't know how to tell when something is spoiled, or they're genuinely terrified that certain foods somehow become deadly overnight. That's sort of sad, certainly not worthy of the smugness and sense of superiority implied in "I'm so particular that I won't eat anything past the expiration date, I won't eat anything that's been around for more than a day, I won't even eat leftovers, I just throw it all out."

Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,570,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't understand why everybody has this huge hangup over milk.
I'm sorry but I could not drink milk at your house, no matter the history of how you came to drink it this way!

And that flavor? Spoiled flavor no matter how you define it.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Its been my experience that old pasturized milk after a while separates into sour chunks of milk solids suspended in a somewhat semi clear liquid and is also accompanied by a distinctive reek,i cant believe any one consumes milk at this stage of the game.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its been my experience that old pasturized milk after a while separates into sour chunks of milk solids suspended in a somewhat semi clear liquid and is also accompanied by a distinctive reek,i cant believe any one consumes milk at this stage of the game.
Yep.

I actually rarely buy dairy milk, and when I do, it's the 1/2 gallon container. I don't drink it, only use it in certain recipes, so it almost always goes bad. It is indeed that chunky look, accompanied by the bloating, expanding jug. When you twist the top, oh the reek.....So now, I just throw the whole leftover container, contents and all, into the garbage on the day of garbage pickup.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Exactly. And perhaps a lot of people really don't know how to tell when something is spoiled, or they're genuinely terrified that certain foods somehow become deadly overnight. That's sort of sad, certainly not worthy of the smugness and sense of superiority implied in "I'm so particular that I won't eat anything past the expiration date, I won't eat anything that's been around for more than a day, I won't even eat leftovers, I just throw it all out."
I won't eat hard, stale bread. Or moldy bread. Or soggy crackers. I won't eat moldy cheese. Or milk that has gone sour. I won't eat anything that is bulging in the container. And I won't eat leftovers (now the good news here is that since it is just me, I never make enough of any one thing to even have leftovers. If I am cooking a larger dinner and there are leftovers, I offer them to those who want to take them home.)

Life is too short to eat garbage. And in my book, moldy, rotted food and non-intentionally* soured milk is garbage. (*I do intentionally sour milk sometimes with lemon juice for recipes).

Old 06-19-2015, 02:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

How to Determine if Cheese is Safe - Home Food Safety

If your brie is moldy, yes, toss it. Hard cheeses like cheddar are fine. I'm sure you know what bleu cheese is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink