Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:59 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,634 times

Advertisements

My mom has started to make them with sweet potatoes and oh are they so delicious and yummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 01:30 PM

2,026 posts, read 334,060 times
KFC definitely makes the best mashed potatoes and gravy in my opinion. The potatoes are very fresh tasting and are soft. I don't like my mashed potatoes crunchy or thick in any way.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
My mom has started to make them with sweet potatoes and oh are they so delicious and yummy.
I don't know if you'll agree but, to me, whatever 'mom' makes, has her touch and makes whatever it is, so much better.... Unless it's a steak on the grill... that's all dad's....

Here's to mom's everywhere for the great memories she gave or gives us.
And here's to their son's and daughters!

CHEERS!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
I love Yukon gold mashed.
I'm traditional with lots of butter, milk, salt and pepper...

Sometimes I'll roast a head of garlic and whip a few cloves in...

Also like a potato smashed on the dinner plate with a fork.. Butter, salt and pepper...

Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 PM

497 posts, read 387,460 times
My usual mashed potatoes consist of... Russet Potatoes, Heavy Whipping Cream, Butter, a few dashes of Black Pepper, and a few dashes of Mrs Dash's Table Blend Seasoning (it comes with a green sealable cap). I heat the heavy whipping cream and butter together, and after I mash the taters, I then add in the heated heavy cream and butter mixture, and sprinkle in the Mrs Dash and black pepper. (I always use heavy whipping cream whenever I make mash potatoes. I never use whole milk, 2%, 1%, or skim.)

My family also loves these potatoes...

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

12 medium size potatoes (Yukon Gold or Russet)
10 whole garlic cloves, peeled (*See note)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened & cut into small pieces
8 ounces sour cream
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) cut into small pieces
Garnish: 2 pats of butter, sliced thin & a few sprinkles of paprika

Cut the potatoes into small cubes, and place them into a large pot of salted water.
(I did not add salt to the pot of water. I didn't add any salt to these potatoes.)

Add the whole cloves of peeled garlic to the pot.

Boil the potatoes until tender (20 minutes should do it).

Drain potatoes well, then add the cream cheese, sour cream, and butter.

Mash the ingredients with a potato masher, for best texture, do not use a mixer.

Spray the inside of a 4-quart glass casserole baking dish, with a non-stick cooking spray.
(You could also use a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.)

Spread potato mixture into the oven proof casserole baking dish.

Garnish the potatoes with pats of butter, and sprinkle on the paprika.

Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
(I let the potatoes set for a few minutes on top the stove, before serving them.)

*Note: For this recipe, I used russet potatoes, and 10 large cloves of garlic.
(I love garlic, and these potatoes were nice and garlicky.
If you are hesitant about adding the 10 cloves of garlic, perhaps just add 9 cloves.)

Old 06-23-2015, 05:25 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Good old buttered mashed is favorite in my book. But I do also like garlic flavored ones

Old 06-24-2015, 04:28 AM

99,552 posts, read 4,490,935 times
After reading this thread, I decided to enjoy mashed potatoes last night. Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink