Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I just read a recipe that had a note about how "easy" it is to make your own almond milk. What you have to do is soak the almonds overnight, puree them, and strain out the solids. Okay, so there aren't many steps, but you can buy almond milk at the store and it doesn't take 10 hours to prepare.
I do make my own almond milk when I have a craving for it. I do it myself because then I don't have to go to the store for it, which is more trouble than just making it using the whole almonds I already have in the pantry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 04:49 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
I just read a recipe that had a note about how "easy" it is to make your own almond milk. What you have to do is soak the almonds overnight, puree them, and strain out the solids. Okay, so there aren't many steps, but you can buy almond milk at the store and it doesn't take 10 hours to prepare.
Preparation is actually in mere minutes for the puree and straining...soaking isn't part of that preparation. It's like marinating meat overnight or is that too much preparation? Really curious.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
My point is that if I have to go to the store to buy a bunch of almonds so that I can grind them up and soak them and strain them for almond milk, why wouldn't I just buy a carton of almond milk and not have to do any of that? I like to cook, but I don't get much personal satisfaction in creating a bunch of extra work (and more things to clean) for myself.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
My point is that if I have to go to the store to buy a bunch of almonds so that I can grind them up and soak them and strain them for almond milk, why wouldn't I just buy a carton of almond milk and not have to do any of that? I like to cook, but I don't get much personal satisfaction in creating a bunch of extra work (and more things to clean) for myself.
I guess it's the example used. I love mole but with the 20 plus ingredients and tons of prep for each ingredient, I luckily can buy it pre-made. Almond milk is one of the simplest things and cheaper to make at home so it surprised me a bit to see it labeled with 10 hours of work.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
And my point is that I already have the almonds, so going to the store to purchase a carton of almond milk is more trouble than putting a handful of the whole almonds I already have in the blender to soak. Plus, I would have to put on shoes, and I seriously hate wearing shoes.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-26-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I won't lie that any recipe that necessitates dirtying more than a couple of utensils and receptacles gets the gas face from me. A big turnoff in huge, elaborate, multi-step and multiphase recipes is creating a single item that has necessitated an entire counterful of dirty dishes in order to prep. I'm not all about having to go through numerous ramekins, whisks, saucepans, mixing bowls, blenders, spatulas, scrapers, graters, putting things in one receptacle for stove top, then transferring to another for chilling purposes, then transferring to another to be roasted/baked/sauteed/whatever for a single recipe. That's just too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink