Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:44 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Just heard that Lidl is coming to the US. I remember going to their store in London when I visited there. I know they won't have the same items (SHUCKS!) but I am curious how they will appear here and what brands they will carry etc.

Have you heard the news? This thread title is what the headlines of the article I read. I know the main difference is the bakery. I hope Lidl keeps the bakery for their US stores!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Just heard that Lidl is coming to the US. I remember going to their store in London when I visited there. I know they won't have the same items (SHUCKS!) but I am curious how they will appear here and what brands they will carry etc.

Have you heard the news? This thread title is what the headlines of the article I read. I know the main difference is the bakery. I hope Lidl keeps the bakery for their US stores!
That is very interesting. I am a bit surprised though. The family that owns Aldi's also owns Trader joes. The original owner of the T. Joes died about 3 or so years ago. He had no children, I am not sure what part of the family took over the ownership of T. Joe's. I do know a brother owns or owned Aldi's. Of course they are from Germany. I think I will research this. Thanks for the info.

OK, did check it out: it seems their are a top Aldi's competitor, also originating in Germany. I can't find anything about their coming to America though. Hope your info is correct.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is very interesting. I am a bit surprised though. The family that owns Aldi's also owns Trader joes. The original owner of the T. Joes died about 3 or so years ago. He had no children, I am not sure what part of the family took over the ownership of T. Joe's. I do know a brother owns or owned Aldi's. Of course they are from Germany. I think I will research this. Thanks for the info.

OK, did check it out: it seems their are a top Aldi's competitor, also originating in Germany. I can't find anything about their coming to America though. Hope your info is correct.
Lidl isn't associated with Aldi's or Trader Joe's. It is a competitor of Aldis as it is also a German discount grocery store with a similar concept. But two different companies.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Yeah, I don't think the two are connected, apart from both being German in origin.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:20 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I can't find the link now of course but Lidl bought warehouse space here in my city. I did find this article though:

RetailWire Discussion: Lidl follows Aldi to the U.S.

I found another article titled: Is Lisl an Aldi killer? Yikes, they take the competition between those two seriously!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
I can't find the link now of course but Lidl bought warehouse space here in my city. I did find this article though:

I found another article titled: Is Lisl an Aldi killer? Yikes, they take the competition between those two seriously!

It is not an Aldi killer. It will be an Ahold-Hannaford killer.

In the UK, Aldi and Lidl are consistently posting sales gains while the full price competitors like Tesco are suffering.

I am looking forward to increased competition as it drives the inefficient out of business and makes everyone work harder for your business.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:37 AM

172 posts, read 177,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Trader Joe's was bought by Aldi-Nord in 1979.

Aldi was founded by two brothers. In 1961 they devided the company into Aldi-Nord and Aldi-Süd.

Aldi-Nord operates in:
Northern and Eastern Germany
The Netherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Spain
Portugal
Poland
Denmark
And as Trader Joe's in the U.S.

Aldi-Süd operates in:
Western and Southern Germany
Austria (under the name Hofer)
Slovenia (under the name Hofer)
UK
Ireland
Hungary
Australia
Switzerland
USA (as Aldi)

Both brothers died a few years ago. Both companies are owned by family foundations.

Aldi-Süd is much more successful than Aldi-Nord. Therefore it's astonishing that Trader Joe's is doing well.

Lidl is part of the Schwarz-Gruppe. It was founded by Dieter Schwarz. The Group is also owned by a family foundation. The Schwarz-Gruppe is meanwhile the largest food retailer in Europe. Beside about 10,000 Lidl stores, the group also operates about 1,300 Kaufland stores (compact hypermarkets).

Lidl operates in 26 European countries and is particularly successful in markets where Aldi-Süd don't operate. Lidl is far better than Aldi-Nord but is still somewhat behind Aldi-Süd, but seems to be catching up in recent years.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Here in Germany, the whole grocery retail industry is clearly shaped through the fierce competition between Aldi and Lidl. None of the both would be that competitive without the competition from the rival. The combined market share of both discount grocery chains in Germany is just somewhere between 25% and 30%. But the fierce competition had forced the traditional grocery chains (Edeka and Rewe) to reduce their prices for basic products (at least half the selection of what can be found at Aldi) to the exact same price. If Aldi adjust their prices, all other grocery chains adjust their prices within 3 days. It's nearly impossible to save money by shopping at Aldi, because all other stores offer the same prices, at least for the basics. But the quality of Aldi or Lidl generic brands are mostly better than the store brands at other discount chains or traditional grocery stores.
A further consequence of the fierce competition between Aldi and Lidl was that the traditional grocery stores went upscale in the last 15 years. Edeka and Rewe refurbished almost all their stores, they are now very beautiful and posh.

Lidl isn't an Aldi killer, but it will be a serious threat to some of the overpriced traditional grocery chains in the U.S. Lidl offers a wider selection than Aldi and also offers more name brands. The size of their stores in the U.S. will be about 36,000 sq ft. That's at least double the size of an American Aldi store and nearly the size of a Walmart Neighborhood store. If they are able to kept the prices on the same level like Aldi, but offer a much wider selection, some overpriced grocery stores will be in trouble.

European grocer Lidl to base U.S. operations in Virginia - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Business

Old 06-27-2015, 08:40 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Lidl is brilliant. I've been to Aldi in the UK a fair few times and I definitely prefer Lidl. Enjoy it USA!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I am pretty sure that they will bring their bakery into their US stores. Lidl is at the moment on an upswing due to the bakery section. Aldi-Süd can't compete with that, because they use stupid automats for the baked goods. They already know that the introduction of those automats was a mistake. Probably the biggest mistake of Aldi-Süd so far. At the moment they are testing alternative concepts for the baked goods in some stores.

Some differences of Lidl in Germany compared to Aldi-Süd:

Lidl offers more name brand products than Aldi, they also have a wider and better selection of produce. In contrast to the U.S. Aldi in Germany don't offer any weekly sales with the exception of a few produce items. Lidl has always the exact same prices like Aldi. But Lidl in Germany has weekly sales. For example a package of 6 store brand ice cream bars (the Magnum style, don't know whether this brand is sold in the U.S.) cost €1.99 at every grocery store, but at Lidl you find sometimes XXL packages with 8 ice cream bars for 1.99. Lidl in Germany is actually cheaper than Aldi.
Hourly wages at Lidl in Germany are higher than at all other grocery chains but lower than those at Aldi-Süd. Starting hourly wage for marginally employed people at Lidl is €11.50. As far as I know hourly wages at Aldi-Süd starts at €13.xx for temporary staff. Almost all employees at Aldi-Süd have a completed 2 or 3 years professional training. Lidl has much more semi-skilled employees. They are still well trained, better than those at other discount grocery chains, but by far not that well like the employees from Aldi-Süd. A 17 years old apprentice from Aldi-Süd with just 1 year of work experience is faster and much more stress-resistent than someone with 10 years work experience at other grocery chain stores. The employees are the biggest asset of Aldi-Süd.
Aldi stores are often better located than Lidl stores, that's probably a result of the earlier spread of Aldi stores over Germany, compared to Lidl. Aldi stores here in Germany are also often located directly near an upscale traditional grocery store. Both stores normally benefit from the increased customer traffic.
I am not sure about the quality of the store brand products. There are products that I like better at Lidl, others I like better at Aldi. According to tests by a well known German consumer organization the generic brands of both chains often beat the most expensive name brands in quality. Overall I have the feeling that the quality at Aldi is slightly better than the quality at Lidl.
Sales per store in Germany in 2014:
Aldi-Süd: €8.38m
Lidl: €6.34m
Aldi-Nord: €5.05m

Top 6 Discounter Deutschland 2015 - Rankings - Lebensmittel Zeitung

At the moment Lidl attracts many pupils, that head into Lidl for the bakery during the school breaks. At this time the stores are often full with pupils.

It seams to be that the sizes of Lidl stores in the U.S. will be about 36,000 sq ft. That would be at least double the size of an average Aldi store in the U.S. and nearly the size of a Walmart Neighborhood store. It seems clear that Lidl will offer a much wider selection than Aldi. Probably much more name brands, a much larger produce section, and of course the bakery section. Lidl will maybe more like a small traditional grocery store, but surely without a service counter department for meat or cheese. It will be interesting whether they are able to offer the same prices like Aldi in the U.S. A wider selection means normally higher costs.
At the beginning Lidl will surely import many products from European suppliers. That will be cheaper at the beginning until they have a few hundred stores in the U.S. Especially if the exchange rate between the USD and the Euro will stay at the current level. They have already contacted their suppliers whether they are able to supply them in the U.S. Lidl operates some factories for chocolate, baked goods, meat, mineral water and soft drinks in Germany. Aldi operates only 4 coffee-roasting establishments in Germany.
Maybe Lidl stores in the U.S. will have a small section with imported European food specialities. Lidl operates in 26 European countries and already offers food specialities from other European countries in their stores.
As far as I know they start with the U.S. HQ in Arlington and two distribution centers, one in Alamance County (NC) and one in Spotsylvania County (VA). Each distribution center will probably be able to support 80-100 stores. I had thought, that they will start with only one distribution center. I am a little bit shocked about the construction costs for a distribution center in the U.S. The construction of a 40,000m² distribution center in Germany cost about €40m. Walmart builds same sized distribution centers in the U.S. for about $80m.
There was a food price comparison between Aldi, Walmart and Krogers in Columbus (OH). I tried to compare the prices from Aldi in the U.S. to the prices at Aldi in Germany. At an exchange rate of 1 Euro = 1.40 USD the cost for a basket of food items would be the same between Aldi (US) and Aldi (Germany). It will be interesting whether Lidl is able to offer the same prices like Aldi.

I find it also interesting to compare prices at Lidl stores in different European countries by their national websites, it's easy due to the Euro. And of course what food they sell in different countries.

The ice cream bars I mentioned before are at the moment on sale at Lidl in Finland for €2.59, the normal price at Lidl in Finland is €3.59 compared to €1.99 in Germany. And the price for the "Kinder Riegel" in Finland is even more shocking. And as far as I know Lidl in Finland is already cheaper than their main competitors.

alkaen torstai, 25.06. - Lidl

But to put into perspective, Finnish incomes are probably higher than German ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink