Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:23 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times

Advertisements

I usually go with water as that's my normal drink but I'll order a mixed drink or win when that's what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
If I feel like drinking water, I get water. If I feel like drinking iced tea, I get iced tea. If I feel like drinking a soda, I get a soda. Sometimes I even get water and a chocolate malt.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:56 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,740 times
When asked I just tell them to get me a nice tall glass of shut the hell up!!!!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
When asked I just tell them to get me a nice tall glass of shut the hell up!!!!
"Sir, can I bring you a drink?"

"Bring me a nice tall glass of SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!"

I'm not sure the waitstaff would be back to take your food order after that exchange .

Old 06-29-2015, 05:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
I don't drink beverages with meals. When dining out, I tell the wait staff not to bring water. More often than not, I'm met with incredulity about not wanting to order a drink: Nothing? Not even water?

Old 06-29-2015, 05:32 PM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Do many Americans still buy the obligatory (non-acoholic) beverage with all their meals?.
About 30% of the time I'll get unsweetened iced tea. The other 70% I'll order either tea or room temp water (if they have it).

Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
In CA, some places have signs or pamphlets explaining due to the state's water shortage, you'll only be served water upon request so help with that.

Seems to be a kinship going on here. More folks on this thread don't bother with the drinks like I do (mind you, not that there's anything wrong with that per say ). It's been my lifelong observations that most Americans seem to order some sort of beverage or another, and I've lived across several regions too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You made my day; I am a senior and I do like lemon in my water, but forget the making it into lemonade and sharing a meal: A lot of places charge you extra for a second plate. We do, rarely, go to a decent place for lunch and if we have a coupon or they have a special, we will order dinner instead of lunch and bring the rest home for another meal, but we have yet to split a meal. I have heard of seniors who do this. The same as one of our coffee shops offers a free piece of pie on Wednesday with any order and I know a few people that go in, order coffee only and get their free pie. I would think the restaurant would have some type of restriction.
That's what I was wondering too... I forgot the term, but a "plate charge" or "sharing charge"? They'll do that to get some $$ back on that. Heck, many restaurants have a "corking fee" for bringing in your own wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How on earth can you mess up a tea bag and water? Apparently there is a lot of room for error even in this simple recipe
Many servers absolutely loathe making tea. The profit margins are about the same at best, but it's a whole set of extra work. Tea isn't THAT hard, but I reckon when you gotta do it over and over again, perhaps at the same time, then that can add up.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times
I just ask for water but I noticed that some places bring bottled water and charge you for it. I guess nothing is free anymore.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
If I ever felt too cheap to buy a drink Id probably just not go out to eat.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Thread = TL;DR.

You're saving a buck by not having a beverage when out for dinner? Should we all guess you carry one of those little cards that tell you how much to tip, too?

If dropping a couple bucks on a drink is too much for you, may I suggest eating at home?

I'm not passing judgment here, but skipping out on a drink is kind of penny wise and pound foolish. Enjoy the experience or stay home. Trying to save a buck or two is just silly in the grand scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink