Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:12 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
So, I was talking with a friend of mine and he brought up 'Chips and Queso'. This got me thinking, Why do we say one word in English and another in Spanish? Why not say "Chips and Cheese" or "patatas y queso", if you are feeling 'spanishy'?

If I feel like putting cheese on my pasta, I don't suddenly start saying cheese in Italian.

To me, this ranks up there people feeling the need to use chops sticks while eating Chinese food. Why use chop sticks? I'm not in China. I get the whole, 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do', but you aren't in Rome so why act Roman.
I didn't get a funny vibe from this. It felt like you are looking down at people that deign to use chopsticks amd use the word queso. I did chuckle a bit when you tried to tell me what queso meant. I'm part Spanish. Sorry your attempt at humor fell flat, it's tough to convey that in words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
When you want cheese in our house you ask for queso. Does not matter what kind of cheese it is it is all queso.

For those that are asking why use queso while using chips. I want to know a similar question. Why do people ask for Nacho Cheese? Are they asking for the queso that goes with nacho's? That would be using one Spanish word with one English word. If we are asking people to choose a language then why not have everyone use the correct words when they ask for Nacho Cheese. The original dish is Nachos's Especial, which became known as Nacho's. You don't even need to add the word queso or cheese. Nacho's are a dish made from fried corn tortillas with queso melted over them and maybe some salsa tossed in for fun.

If we are going to get technical then the correct English words would be Tortilla chips with cheese. while the correct Spanish version would be queso Totopo's or to translate, tortilla chips with cheese.

What it comes down to is people use words that others can understand and communication happens without us speaking one language or the other. Many people speak both mixed together.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And "salsa" is Spanish for "sauce", but in American food terminology it refers to a specific condiment. Similarly when someone is bringing queso to the party they're not bringing a wheel of cotija, they're bringing a spicy cheese dip.

In the same vein, if you go to a cafe in Italy and order a "latte", they'll bring you milk.
If you ask for chili in our home you will end up with either a sause or what others would call salsa. If you ask for a bowl of chili you are one dangerous person.

If you would prefer an American dish called Chili with maybe Beans and meat in it then you would ask for Chili Beans.

If someone were to bring queso to a party we might ask what kind.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I didn't get a funny vibe from this. It felt like you are looking down at people that deign to use chopsticks amd use the word queso. I did chuckle a bit when you tried to tell me what queso meant. I'm part Spanish. Sorry your attempt at humor fell flat, it's tough to convey that in words.
Sorry it didn't come across as funny because that was the intent due to a simple observation and conversation with a buddy of mine. Also, as a confession, I had to google the Spanish translation for 'chips and cheese' so I'm sure it was botched up to begin with. Words are definitely hard to convey attitude and tone so hopefully nobody took offense to my OP.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:29 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Actually, the reason for this is that the word scampi by itself refers to the prep method of cooking in white wine and butter. Since the prep method is often used for chicken, in many restaurants that serve both, they detail each with either shrimp or chicken scampi. If they only served shrimp, it would only be scampi.

BTW the Italian word for shrimp is gamberetto. Scampi is the Italian word for prawn.
I did know that, but I didn't want to confuse the issue.

And yes, you are correct, it has come to mean the style of preparation, but I'm old enough to remember a time when there was no such thing as "chicken scampi" on a menu. That's relatively recent. I love to eat it no matter what they call it!

Then again, I'm old enough to remember when the word "pasta" first came into common use in the US, around 1980.

I was a lot thinner back then, too.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:48 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
We already have a word for queso. And we also already have a word for queso dip - nacho cheese.

Nope. Totally different.

Nacho cheese:

Queso dip:

Old 07-09-2015, 02:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
ETA - forgot spaghetti. I just say cheese. It's kind of a given that it's grated parm. Don't ask me to tell you how I eat that, though - none of us has that kind of time.
I do.

I can't rep you again but, CHEESUZ (I had to write that to stay on topic), you make me laugh.

To the OP: This is reminding me of a thread that I started that got some people's panties in a bunch. I live in a French city and so it was a valid curiosity of mine. For others? Not really.

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...-you-call.html

Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
This is not far from the truth. Not so much in my house as a kid but man this is on the mark for most of my Latino relatives especially the ones from LA.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Nope. Totally different.

Nacho cheese:

Queso dip:
That second picture is what I'm talking about. White cheese dip with roasted green chiles. Yum. I don't think I have ever uttered the words "nacho cheese" other than when referring to Doritos.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:52 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Sorry it didn't come across as funny because that was the intent due to a simple observation and conversation with a buddy of mine. Also, as a confession, I had to google the Spanish translation for 'chips and cheese' so I'm sure it was botched up to begin with. Words are definitely hard to convey attitude and tone so hopefully nobody took offense to my OP.

Actually I took your post to be just a harmless observation on what you noticed and I didn't seen anything offensive or snotty about it. I often half-sneer at those television programs where they order Chinese food and always eat it directly out of the carton with chopsticks, its such a TV cliché. I love using chopsticks whenever I can because they force me to eat slower and not snarf down my food when I'm really hungry .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink