Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 06:16 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam33 View Post
"organic" and "no preservatives" are not the same thing - read labels.

"organic" meaning living matter and "organic" meaning organically grown are not the same thing - read labels.

If you don't like someone's attitude, don't talk to them. Win-win.
What's Wrong With Organic Food?-facts_organic_conventional_farming_2_635563033058392961.jpg

What's Wrong With Organic Food?-facts_organic_conventional_farming_1_635563033058392961.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 06:25 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Did you read the fine print? "Brought to you by America's soybean and corn farmers."

Nope, no agenda there.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:29 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
I have 2 piles of apples here. One pile is 100% natural and organic, the other is from an orchard that sprays Round Up on everything, along with fungicides, pesticides, injects trees with systematic chemicals, etc. etc.

1. Who will purposely choose the apples that have been sprayed multiple times with multiple chemicals, when given a choice? You? Why?

2. If you prefer to eat the chemically sprayed apples, why do you direct hate and judgment at those who choose to not eat chemically sprayed foods?

Negative comments towards people who prefer natural foods is a huge trend online that makes no sense at all.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We raised chickens through my entire childhood for personal use, not to sell. Not a large poultry operation, just standard backyard coop with a fenced in yard, for protection from predators, pretty standard family farm stuff.

As far as taste goes, freshness is a big factor with eggs. Whether or not the laying chicken was free range, not so much.

If you did a blind taste test of two eggs, of the same age, side by side, and did not know which came from a free range chicken and which came from one kept in a coop, I am very skeptical that you could tell an appreciable difference.
I raised my own flock also, and there is a massive difference.

Factory eggs are pale and washed out, pale yellow yolks with little nutrition and thin shells. My eggs had ultra hard healthy thick shells, and super dark orange, rich yolks. My birds ate a high protein diet rich in insects and raw plants, and free from chemicals. They were not drugged, fed gmo grain, and raised on a 100% unnatural vegetarian grain diet like store bought eggs. I knew a woman who owned a commercial egg farm and when I asked her if she was bothered by flies with all those poultry barns on her property, she said " Nah, we feed the bird drugs so when they poop, the flies aren't attracted to it." I can assure you that my personal eggs did not have commercial fly repellant in them either.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
...There's less of that stringy part and the flavor is different...
That "stringy part" is called the chalaza and is most noticeable in a fresh egg. As the egg ages, the chalaza dissolves. The chalaza holds the yolk in the center of the egg.

So, that "stringy part" is what you want to see in a fresh egg.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
...the other is from an orchard that sprays Round Up on everything...
I doubt they spray Roundup on apple trees - it would kill them.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I doubt they spray Roundup on apple trees - it would kill them.
It is used in orchards to control weeds around the roots. They don't send people out with weed eaters to mow around each trunk by hand. I would even see workers spraying down the rows at the Vineyard on my old road. The fields around my house were sprayed with huge clouds of Roundup every season, on the soybean and corn rotations. I could always tell when they sprayed the crop fields each spring, because a week later entire fields were dead, or there were dead, brown rows around all the grape vines, etc. It all gets taken up into the plants on a cellular level and cant be washed off.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
"Organic" and "No Preservatives" are not the same thing - read labels...
LOL - and therein lies the problem. If the "Organic" label really provides a guarantee of "healthier" food I shouldn't have to "read labels." The "organic" straw man just can't stand up on its own merits.

BTW - "Organic" doesn't mean it doesn't contain synthetic chemicals either.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:45 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That "stringy part" is called the chalaza and is most noticeable in a fresh egg. As the egg ages, the chalaza dissolves. The chalaza holds the yolk in the center of the egg.

So, that "stringy part" is what you want to see in a fresh egg.
Maybe I'm not calling it the right thing. It's whatever that's left after you strain lightly beaten eggs. I notice supermarket eggs have a lot more left in the strainer than the farm eggs I get.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Maybe I'm not calling it the right thing. It's whatever that's left after you strain lightly beaten eggs. I notice supermarket eggs have a lot more left in the strainer than the farm eggs I get.
That's it - the chalaza. The fresher the egg, the more pronounced the chalaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink