Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That "stringy part" is called the chalaza and is most noticeable in a fresh egg. As the egg ages, the chalaza dissolves. The chalaza holds the yolk in the center of the egg.

So, that "stringy part" is what you want to see in a fresh egg.
You got it.

I wonder where people got the idea that this is undesireable or indicative of eggs that aren't fresh, etc.

Also, IRT orange yolks, grain fed-hens will produce them if marigolds, among other tinted additives, are added to their feed. Orange yolks in no way guarantee that the hens laying your eggs were prohibited from eating vile grains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Organic is overpriced and no healthier than any other food. Your body doesn't know the difference.
This, it's too expensive, and as trends go, it will likely "cause cancer" or some other awful or even "new" disease, and be slammed in 20 years or fewer. I've never gone out of my way to eat healthfully, in particular, and our forebears largely didn't, and we're all going to die of disease, homicide, suicide, or accident anyway.

You can be as fit and healthy and organic and vegan as you like, but you may still drop dead of a heart attack. One never knows. I would hate to think that my last meal was something like organic corn when what I really wanted wasn't "healthy enough." If one can feel "deprived" or regretful in the afterlife, if there is one, wouldn't that be awful?

Old 07-18-2015, 04:56 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You got it.

I wonder where people got the idea that this is undesireable or indicative of eggs that aren't fresh, etc.

Also, IRT orange yolks, grain fed-hens will produce them if marigolds, among other tinted additives, are added to their feed. Orange yolks in no way guarantee that the hens laying your eggs were prohibited from eating vile grains.
The orange color doesn't have anything to do with grains or organic feed, it's about free-range chickens - ones that have actually been wandering around outside like the Geico chicken.

The color comes from caratenoids, such as the ones that are precursors to vitamin A.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:50 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Yes, my grand parents were farmers and I recall the egg yolks were red/red-orange. When my father retired he returned to farming and again the chickens were free range and the yolks were red-orange. Taste is different than store bought eggs via industrial hatching process.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The orange color doesn't have anything to do with grains or organic feed, it's about free-range chickens - ones that have actually been wandering around outside like the Geico chicken.

The color comes from caratenoids, such as the ones that are precursors to vitamin A.

free range chickens..... they peck the hell out of each other and eat there own feces

Old 07-18-2015, 10:12 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
free range chickens..... they peck the hell out of each other and eat there own feces
Well. They find THE GUY. He's the hen-pecked one.

Not a pretty sight.

When I was growing up they attacked my piano teacher's toddler and he needed stitches across his forehead and all the way down the side of his face.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:54 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Well, you're supposed to feed them.

If you want them to get more protein so they don't eat nasty stuff and peck each other to death, string a small light across a kiddie pool, and skim out the bugs in the morning. They love 'em.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I buy a lot of organic fruits for two reasons. I prefer the no chemical approach if I am eating the skin of the fruit, and more importantly, organic fruit is often smaller than non organic fruit, so in organic you get one real serving, instead of this huge thing that's nearly three servings.

Means more when you're diabetic.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, you're supposed to feed them.

If you want them to get more protein so they don't eat nasty stuff and peck each other to death, string a small light across a kiddie pool, and skim out the bugs in the morning. They love 'em.
I used to feed the dried mealworms. Every time I shook the canister, they'd all come runny and squawking

Old 07-18-2015, 04:22 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
I buy as much organic in the US as I can - and I am hardly impressed with the actual quality of the produce (fragrance, ability to leave juices in, etc).
I spend many summers overseas and the organic produce here is a joke compared to any basic produce at local farmers' markets over there.

Organic clearly doesn't result in better-tasting meals. Whether it protects from pesticide effects...maybe.
In the meantime, it would be nice if I could find one truly nice-tasting vegetable - organic or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink