Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 11:29 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
This! Just about everybody in America works full time, but we still manage to have lives and hobbies. Maybe that's the big difference: we're more productive than Europeans.
Objections - immigrant here with f/t job, house, garden and family

Of course produce tastes different from place A to place B. Soil is the first factor. Is it in its natural environment and season? Can it grow on its own terms or is it being pushed to market size? My tomatoes are sun warm when make it to the kitchen but there will be none until they are in season again. Small exception are Campari on sale. Cabbage in Georgia in July? I pass. It is either import or stored. That is like strawberries for Christmas.

Do I miss food items? Occasionally but we go by the old rule of "when in Rome ...". Right now it's peaches and corn. Eat and cook your fill as there is nothing like a small piece of perfumed paradise aka a ripe peach. Fall and winter and its cabbages and root vegetables will be here in no time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, I did it, and there's no way your commute in Atlanta comes anywhere close to mine. However, I limited my "crop" to a few vegetables so that it was manageable. I had lettuce, cucumbers, and, of course since I live in New Jersey, tomatoes. (If I were really the Mighty Queen, I would outlaw unripe, baseball-quality tomatoes altogether. That's just wrong.) That was when I had a real backyard. Now I'm in a condo with a small, fenced-in patio/garden area, but I still have four tomato plants, three cucumber plants, and a jalapeno pepper. Oh, and some herbs.
For many people growing their garden is there outlet, whether they work 40 hours a week or 60. It seems the OP can't seem to understand this. Container gardening is seems to be on the upswing, for lots of reasons.

I also think OP is forgetting what grows well one place, may not somewhere else, plus she isn't considering the season. Maybe cabbage is in season in her native land and not so in ours.

All this being said, I doubt the op really wants to hear all our advise. I think it is easier to whine and wish she could get food like she gets at home, whether for real or in her mind.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:00 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Atlanta had some great Asian markets there with good looking produce. Try there? That's where I get mine in my city. The produce tend to be local since the stores aren't franchised. Or as others suggest, CSA. There are farms all around that will deliver to pick up points in Atlanta. Good luck!
This. We buy all of our produce from the local Asian supermarket in Chinatown. Fresh, huge vegetables, at a fraction of the cost that you'd find them in traditional supermarkets.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
You know, I'm pretty sure you say these bizarro, obnoxious things to get a reaction--and I see that it works for you, lol, because people do react....
Don't most people post hoping to get a reaction?

Quote:
--and I know from other posts you've made in the past that you are above all else, a Perpetual Complainer about pretty much everything. ......

.... Yes, keep complaining if that gets you your giggles and makes for thread ideas, but if you're purposely going to try to sound ignorant and insulting, people are going to dismiss you after a while......
How ironic that you should wag your finger at her for complaining and being insulting.

I think this has been a very good and informative thread - thanks, Syracusa!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I hereby invite our whiny OP to visit any one of our several farmers' markets and let's see how much fault she/he can find with the produce. OP wants a "YES" or "NO" answer to questions that aren't yes/no propositions.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I agree. They don't have good produce. I bought a bag of apples and about a third of them turned out to be bruised and beginning to rot. Haven't had good luck with most of their other stuff, either. I get coffee and a few other items there, but I'm going to drive the extra seven or eight minutes to the farm stand to get my produce.
wish we had T. Js here, maybe one of these days. I really have never gotten anything bad from one,but I don't necessarily think the produce is organic or any healthier than anyplace else and I don't go there for produce. Of course, living where we do, I don't go there period now, unless I happen to be in Dallas, visiting NV or CA.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I don't purchase any produce pre-packaged, because I invariably end up finding rot and the packaging mostly ends up as trash. The exception used to be berries, but I now have strawberry and raspberry patches in my garden.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly as happens here. See my post with all the photos of the Union Square market in Manhattan. As I already mentioned, some of them drive four hours to set up at dawn. Even the Amish (who I guess get someone else to do the driving.)
This sounds like the Grand Central Market in downtown Los Angeles. Mom and dad would go there for our weekly veggies in the 40s and 50s.Most of the venders were Asian. Then we would go after I got married and to my surprise, apparently it is still there. If it is like it was 60 plus years ago, all the produce is home grown and yes, the venders come from far away sometimes.

BTW; love your reference the Amish and someone driving them.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This. We buy all of our produce from the local Asian supermarket in Chinatown. Fresh, huge vegetables, at a fraction of the cost that you'd find them in traditional supermarkets.
Our Asian market doesn't have a lot of fresh produce, but when we stop in for other things, we always find something to buy; usually ginger, snow peas and bok choy. I don't think it is locally grown but still less expensive than the grocery stores. Living in NWA we don't have a china Town, we do have Asians here and many sell thier produce at our local farmers markets. They are great farmers. In fact daughter and I will probably buy several lbs of cukes for pickles when we visit this coming Thursday.

I just do not think the Op really is trying to find the best for whatever reason. She is also overlooking seasons, like so many people have mentioned.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Don't most people post hoping to get a reaction?

How ironic that you should wag your finger at her for complaining and being insulting.

I think this has been a very good and informative thread - thanks, Syracusa!
We all have our opinions, and I certainly do not agree with you. We have learned the difference between locally grown produce and what we get from the super market, and that some people don't want to take the time or spend the money for quality produce, but they do want to whine.

Yes, most posts are to get information, enjoyable conversation and in some cases to get reactions, but this one isn't meant to do anything other than stir up controvery. That isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink