Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That does sound disgusting, but they're good! At least the good ones are good. Imagine a rich, flaky pastry and pork that's not overcooked. I think the Brits stopped overcooking their pork long before we did. While the taste is obviously different, they'd remind you of a world class chicken pot pie.
Hmm. I would try it, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Everyone says that! A good friend of mine's father was a Brit, and she's visited many times. She was describing the pork pies sold on the street. Fatty and pink inside, she said. I was gagging at the description. My father's side left Manchester for the U.S. in 1863. We thought it was because the cotton mills were closing due to the war here. Maybe it was the food!

England did give us cheddar, though.
English pork pies or "Porkies" are absolutely gross, I tried one & threw it out, and they aren't cheap! It's almost like they were trying to reproduce the delicious Cornish Pasties but the ink on the recipe got wet.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
That does sound disgusting, but they're good! At least the good ones are good. Imagine a rich, flaky pastry and pork that's not overcooked. I think the Brits stopped overcooking their pork long before we did. While the taste is obviously different, they'd remind you of a world class chicken pot pie.
I must have gotten a bad one, it was quite rare, rather greasy and had some kind of congealed crud in it that looked like aspic. I have no idea why but when I tasted it I got this idea stuck in my head that it was probably what eating human flesh would be like, that gave me some bad dreams for awhile.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:05 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I love the US, and there are aspects of our culture and society that are better than anywhere else in the world, but the lock that mega agra companies have on the production and distribution of our food is not anything to be proud of.
If you read the entire thread carefully, you'll find that some of us have already pointed out the ways to avoid some, many, or all of the products from the mega agra companies, depending on your individual will.

And now the OP is going to visit a farm market! Hooray! So something sunk in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
But I think there are some agriculture-related restrictions on that at the airport. I don't think you are allowed to bring seeds with you from abroad...or am I wrong?...
No, you're correct. A friend of mine tried to bring me some zucchini seeds from Italy, and they were confiscated. I hope the customs agent got a nice yield out of them.

Quote:
Yes, I would love to travel to California just for those FM. I heard great things about them!
Sure, I am jealous of those who live there and have such nice access to great produce
You don't need to go to California; there are farm markets in every corner of every state that sell local produce in season. California, of course, has a perpetual growing season and grows just about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Then what are you doing here reading it?
Did you miss the part where she said it was an interesting thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
We are spoilt for choice and quality.
We really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
If you hang out with expats you will talk food sooner then later. The need to hang onto things
Hey, I can understand that. I import Skyline Chili in cans from Cincinnati.

Quote:
Perfect example: Today I walked several blocks to a farmer's market in Manhattan where there were farmers from NJ and PA. I got beautiful red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, beets, peaches, nectarines, and a cucumber. They had samples out so you could taste the peaches, nectarines, cantaloupes, and tomatoes before you buy. I didn't buy the cantaloupes because they didn't have that much flavor, but the other items were delicious. The fruit and vegetables were not all perfectly shaped and uniform in size.
Your shopping day was pretty much like mine, although I drove directly to the farms to get better prices than at the weekend farmers' markets: eggs and blueberries from one farm, onions and pickling and slicing cucumbers from another, garlic, lettuce and peaches from a third. Saturday I'll go to another farm to pick blackberries and more blueberries for canning. I love living just a few minutes' drive from so many farm stands.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm. I would try it, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
English pork pies or "Porkies" are absolutely gross, I tried one & threw it out, and they aren't cheap! It's almost like they were trying to reproduce the delicious Cornish Pasties but the ink on the recipe got wet.
Or maybe not!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Your shopping day was pretty much like mine, although I drove directly to the farms to get better prices than at the weekend farmers' markets: eggs and blueberries from one farm, onions and pickling and slicing cucumbers from another, garlic, lettuce and peaches from a third. Saturday I'll go to another farm to pick blackberries and more blueberries for canning. I love living just a few minutes' drive from so many farm stands.
I do, too. I work in the city, though, and since I didn't bring lunch and knew there was a Wednesday FM in Tribeca, I went for fresh salad ingredients. Bought a few other things, which I had to haul home on the trains.

I got a nice bunch of beets with good greens. Cooking them now. The beets are boiling, and I already sauteed the greens with the last bit of a Vidalia onion and half a red pepper I had in the fridge.

I'm thinking of putting the beets on top of the greens and adding some havarti cheese I have.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Or maybe not!
lol

Old 07-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
..... I miss the fennel that grew along the walking trails near my Northern California home and the cheese makers we visited on our drive to the coast, not to mention the fish we bought right off the boat once we arrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracusa
Yes, I would love to travel to California just for those FM. I heard great things about them!
Sure, I am jealous of those who live there and have such nice access to great produce...but then again, I could never afford to live on the West Coast.
That would be southern Northern California, I suppose coastal around the San Francisco bay area. The other hotspot for cool foods is Los Angeles. Aside from a select few farmer's markets in those two areas, I don't think the FMs are anything special - particularly not in northern Northern California where I live.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:11 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That would be southern Northern California, I suppose coastal around the San Francisco bay area. The other hotspot for cool foods is Los Angeles. Aside from a select few farmer's markets in those two areas, I don't think the FMs are anything special - particularly not in northern Northern California where I live.
Fair enough. Yes, I'm referring to Marin, Sonoma, and Napa. The food there was definitely special. I miss it something terrible.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm in Sacramento, there are 4 or 5 farmer's markets within a few miles of me but I generally don't buy much at them, they are just too expensive. I can grow all the heirloom tomatoes I want so I'm not impressed by $5.00 a pound heirlooms at a farmers market. I prefer the Asian, Mexican and Russian grocers in the area, I don't know where they get their produce but it's pretty darned good, and cheaper than chain grocery stores or farmer's markets.

Another place that has some real good bargains on produce is the farmer's market in an old flea market "Denio's Swap Meet" in Roseville. There are even farmers there selling chickens and fresh eggs. If you are ever in the area check it out & if you can't find produce you can find some really ugly dashboard covers, dice for your rear view mirror and rugs with aztec warriors on them. It's weird and funky but fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink