Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:51 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am willing to sacrifice and do the research on English food when I go later this year. I love bangers and mash, but I have only ever had it in NYC & NJ.
That's probably close enough. Considering the food that you can get in the NYC metro, I'm sure it was very good. The sausage may have been a bit different than what you'd get over there. Be sure to have some bacon when you're there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Wow, I'd love to have that within an hour of my house.
I miss the ones the Welsh church ladies made.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Totally agree with MNita. I appreciate C-D's "blocking" option now more than ever!

Old 07-25-2015, 05:40 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. There are plenty of tasty British dishes - Toad-in-the-Hole, Yorkshire Pudding, Steak and Kidney Pie, Eccles Tarts, Shepherd's Pie, Cottage Pie, Scones, Scotch Eggs, Welsh Rarebit - just to name a few of the items Americans would know about.

I have relatives who work as cooks in English pubs - no frozen pub grub in theirs. Look-up the term carvery pub.

It really disappoints me when people bash the cuisine of an entire country when they have no idea what they are talking about.
I agree. We ate very well in England. Scotland too!

Old 07-26-2015, 12:35 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
...Be sure to have some bacon when you're there.
But make sure you know the difference between ordering "streaky" and "rashers."

Old 07-26-2015, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Was at the grocery store today and noticed that cherries are $3.99 /lb. That wasn't even a sale price. I know cherries are usually a little more expensive then other in season produce, but I don't think I've ever seen them for $8.
We have had them on sale here a couple times this year for $1.99. Of course now it is at the end of the cherry season, so I don't expect to get them for that until next year. NO, I have never seen them near $8 lb.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm in Sacramento, there are 4 or 5 farmer's markets within a few miles of me but I generally don't buy much at them, they are just too expensive. I can grow all the heirloom tomatoes I want so I'm not impressed by $5.00 a pound heirlooms at a farmers market. I prefer the Asian, Mexican and Russian grocers in the area, I don't know where they get their produce but it's pretty darned good, and cheaper than chain grocery stores or farmer's markets.

Another place that has some real good bargains on produce is the farmer's market in an old flea market "Denio's Swap Meet" in Roseville. There are even farmers there selling chickens and fresh eggs. If you are ever in the area check it out & if you can't find produce you can find some really ugly dashboard covers, dice for your rear view mirror and rugs with aztec warriors on them. It's weird and funky but fun.
you mention Roseville; many years ago, way before Farmers markets were the trendy thing, they were the only thing available that resembled a farmers market and their prices were very cheap. We would head to Roseville after church on Sundays and buy our weekly produce, plus some to either can or freeze, depending on the time of the year. At least I imagine that is the place you are talking about. I don't remember that being the name, but again, I am talking many years ago, like 40.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:17 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Was at the grocery store today and noticed that cherries are $3.99 /lb. That wasn't even a sale price. I know cherries are usually a little more expensive then other in season produce, but I don't think I've ever seen them for $8.
Only ones I've see that high are the Ranier cherries....quite delish..but expensive..

Old 07-26-2015, 12:14 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Only ones I've see that high are the Ranier cherries....quite delish..but expensive..
Those are the ones that are $3.99 at the grocery store. And then I got them from a different store yesterday for $1.99.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
But make sure you know the difference between ordering "streaky" and "rashers."
I've always just gotten, been served rashers, but I suppose things have changed a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink