Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 PM

7,552 posts, read 8,584,456 times

Advertisements

I know eggs that are frozen are OK, but this one is strange. I had put all the eggs on the top level of the refrigerator, just below the freezer (not in the freezer). I've done this all the time for years, and never seen an egg frozen when I took it out. But just now, I took two eggs out, and cracked them open, one was frozen inside! The yolk and white are both solid (the white was like ice) and haven't melted so far after several minutes. The yolk is not exactly like frozen, but just solid. So I wonder if this particular egg was bad before? Anyone had the same experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 11:47 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
I always toss mine when they freeze, unless they're penguin eggs.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:24 AM

7,552 posts, read 8,584,456 times
LOL . By the time I saw your reply the egg had just melted so I cooked it. Still wonder what makes it different from the rest. Maybe it was penguin's egg . Hope I surive...

Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 PM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
LOL . By the time I saw your reply the egg had just melted so I cooked it. Still wonder what makes it different from the rest. Maybe it was penguin's egg . Hope I surive...
Are you still alive?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:58 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,372,862 times

Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 PM

61,028 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Why not?? Uncooked, uncracked eggs don't go bad like most raw foods - they're sealed.
If frozen eggs are uncracked (but I'd be willing to bet that even the cracked ones are safe, if cooked), just thaw them in the refrigerator. These can be hard cooked successfully but other uses may be limited. That's because freezing causes the yolk to become thick and syrupy, so it will not flow like an unfrozen yolk or blend very well with the egg white or other ingredients.

BTW: you can purposely freeze eggs. An easy way to do this is to put them in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer container and label.
As with any frozen food, it is best to thaw eggs in the refrigerator and use them as soon as they are thawed, then thoroughly cook them.
You can freeze just yolks, or just whites, separately - pour into trays and freeze until firm.
Whole eggs - crack them into a bowl and gently stir to break up the yolk (try not to add any air into it).
Hard cooked egg yolks - great for toppings or garnishes. Don't freeze hard cooked whole eggs, or whites ( rubbery!!)
You can store frozen eggs for 12+ months in a freezer.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
...You can store frozen eggs for 12+ months in a freezer.
Frost-free freezers have a "defrost cycle" that raises the temperature and melts the frost within the freezer. This process causes freezer-burn and limits the "shelf-life" of frozen items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink