Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Be careful even with fresh produce! For example, celery is high in sodium so read the content of everything! Be informed!
Celery is high in sodium when you compare it to other vegetables. Otherwise, no, it's not high in sodium.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
Some markets have better selection of low/no added sodium than others. Some breadings also are high in sodium. Tempura batter mix is typically low in sodium compared to say beer batter mix.

Tomato juice/V8 is loaded. And the reduced sodium variety is loaded with potassium (another salt).

Old 08-03-2015, 08:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I watch my sodium to reduce complications of a medication I take to control a chronic condition. The solution is to throw away your salt shaker and avoid commercially-prepared foods. I don't worry about celery, and I eat it freely. I do worry about packaged snacks and restaurant meals and have mostly excised them from my life.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
So one thing I've been noticing about most foods in the grocery store or restaurants...the sodium levels are sort of disgustingly high. We are only supposed to eat 1500-2300mg of sodium per day[1]...yet I regularly see 1 serving of 1 item have 750, 900mg. I got a sub from Food Lion a few weeks ago and it had 2160mg. I just looked up Denny's Grand Slam breakfast, as I WAS planning on going there, and it's at 3610mg. A can of beans in my pantry has 700mg in a 1/2 cup serving. Who only eats a 1/2 cup? Not me!

Soooo what's the deal here? Is there any way to "counteract" a high sodium meal? You can work off calories and fat, but what about sodium?

[1]http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479

Well if you eat at places like Denny's - of course the food is going to be high in sodium. Same with any low end restaurant or fast food place.

The Grand Slam breakfast is not exactly health food. I don't think they're pretending it is. Most people who eat it do so as a treat - or they are of the crowd that just does not give a fig about their health or their weight.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
OP, low-sodium canned beans are widely available, and rinsing will lower sodium content even further.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:38 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
I look on the back of some food items and see where it's very low in calories but quite high in sodium content. That is frustrating. Why can't it be both? I suppose there might be some things out there which are. I can't think of them right now.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:46 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_my_travels View Post
One can counteract a high sodium meal by drinking more water after the meal. When I eat salty foods, I get really thirsty! I love salty food.

Here's an article on how to de-bloat after too much salt:
How to De-Bloat After Too Much Salt Intake | LIVESTRONG.COM

One way to avoid this problem is not to eat packaged foods or canned food, and cooks meals at home made from scratch. It usually tastes much better, too! I try not to buy prepackaged food or food in a can. I do buy some items in a can, only because I'm too lazy to make it or it's just to hard to make from scratch. I do try to limit eating out of cans to just a few times a year.

I don't worry about my salt intake because I make most of our meals. I do eat foods that are pre-made and packaged once in a while, but when I do, I get super thirsty. We buy coconut water and that helps me rehydrate.

Also, my Vietnamese mother said she drinks hot tea while eating because it helps with digestion, especially if something is salty.
This. Your best bet to minimize sodium intake is to avoid processed, pre-packaged and fast foods as much as possible. Think fresh. Think whole foods. Cook from scratch at home. And, yes, drink lots of water. I try to drink one gallon per day.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_my_travels View Post
One can counteract a high sodium meal by drinking more water after the meal. When I eat salty foods, I get really thirsty! I love salty food.

Here's an article on how to de-bloat after too much salt:
How to De-Bloat After Too Much Salt Intake | LIVESTRONG.COM

One way to avoid this problem is not to eat packaged foods or canned food, and cooks meals at home made from scratch. It usually tastes much better, too! I try not to buy prepackaged food or food in a can. I do buy some items in a can, only because I'm too lazy to make it or it's just to hard to make from scratch. I do try to limit eating out of cans to just a few times a year.

I don't worry about my salt intake because I make most of our meals. I do eat foods that are pre-made and packaged once in a while, but when I do, I get super thirsty. We buy coconut water and that helps me rehydrate.

Also, my Vietnamese mother said she drinks hot tea while eating because it helps with digestion, especially if something is salty.
I can't recall if I was at a Subway or Jersey Mike's and ordered a tuna on flatbread. One of the preparer's was just getting ready to sprinkle salt on it and I'm glad that I was paying attention at the moment to say, "Whoa, no salt please". Doesn't the tuna have enough salt?

Has anyone been to a Taco Bell where the pepper bin was empty but there were tons of packets of salt? I asked if they had any pepper packets and someone said that they weren't allowed to put out the pepper

Been quite awhile now that I have been to a Taco Bell. I like California Tortilla. It's been several weeks since I had been to one. I think I'm due. I like Chipotle's also but don't have one in the immediate area of our house. I don't sprinkle salt onto many things as I used to when I was a kid. I do have a small container of the Himalayan Pink Sea salt but rarely use that. I'm more of a cracked peppercorn type

Been drinking more water with my meals than I used to also. Although I do like lemonade and ice tea.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Food Lion is still in business??
Quite a few of them in WV.
I just heard something tho where they're planning a merge with Martin's/Giant.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
So one thing I've been noticing about most foods in the grocery store or restaurants...the sodium levels are sort of disgustingly high. We are only supposed to eat 1500-2300mg of sodium per day[1]...yet I regularly see 1 serving of 1 item have 750, 900mg. I got a sub from Food Lion a few weeks ago and it had 2160mg. I just looked up Denny's Grand Slam breakfast, as I WAS planning on going there, and it's at 3610mg. A can of beans in my pantry has 700mg in a 1/2 cup serving. Who only eats a 1/2 cup? Not me!

Soooo what's the deal here? Is there any way to "counteract" a high sodium meal? You can work off calories and fat, but what about sodium?

[1]http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479
Research has been finding lately that the old beliefs about sodium are inaccurate for people with no health problems ..... it's interesting because your doctor might tell you to cut down, while a researcher might tell you there's no evidence that would help, and some that it will harm you if you go too low. Even blood pressure is only affected in a few sensitive individuals.

But assuming you have some problem with a medical condition or bloat that require you to cut down ..... there just aren't too many options out there in restaurants usually unless you find a vegan or other health food restaurant, never a chain. Subway ..... maybe you could order a vegetarian sub minus the cheese and condiments, but even then the bread is pretty salty. Restaurants usually have some fruit, usually an apple, or a green salad without dressing. Maybe you could carry around your own low-sodium dressing for the road.

There are many canned or convenience foods nowadays with reduced or low sodium, especially at Walmart oddly enough. Beans, soups. You can order many things online. It all tastes crappy without enough salt.

Strong tea with lemon, or black coffee, can flush out some of the salt. So can most herbal teas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink