Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 AM

287 posts, read 326,830 times

Advertisements

I absolutely cannot stand dried coconut or anything made with it. To me it tastes like I am eating soap. Kiwis are another fruit I just can't take- they make me gag. Something about their texture. A couple of years ago I went on a blueberry binge- ate them constantly almost all summer long. Then one day I bought a pint at the store, got home and opened them up and popped a few in my mouth. I muttered "these things really taste awful" and spit them out. I haven't touched a blueberry since.

Zucchini is my least favorite veggie- just too watery and bland. And every year someone in my neighborhood leaves a whole grocery bag full of it on my doorstep. Store-bought tomatoes are on my "hate" list as well. They taste like cardboard. Okra? Yuck. Grits? Like eating school paste. The only kind of rice I will eat is Jasmine rice- any other rice, fahgetaboutit.

I also hate any vegetable that is boiled. Lightly steamed - maybe, but never, ever boiled. Boiling veggies just takes everything out of them. I roast or sautee all my veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
I absolutely cannot stand dried coconut or anything made with it. To me it tastes like I am eating soap. Kiwis are another fruit I just can't take- they make me gag. Something about their texture. A couple of years ago I went on a blueberry binge- ate them constantly almost all summer long. Then one day I bought a pint at the store, got home and opened them up and popped a few in my mouth. I muttered "these things really taste awful" and spit them out. I haven't touched a blueberry since.

Zucchini is my least favorite veggie- just too watery and bland. And every year someone in my neighborhood leaves a whole grocery bag full of it on my doorstep. Store-bought tomatoes are on my "hate" list as well. They taste like cardboard. Okra? Yuck. Grits? Like eating school paste. The only kind of rice I will eat is Jasmine rice- any other rice, fahgetaboutit.

I also hate any vegetable that is boiled. Lightly steamed - maybe, but never, ever boiled. Boiling veggies just takes everything out of them. I roast or sautee all my veggies.
I think zucchini is one of those tasteless vegetables whose purpose is to carry or absorb other flavors. Slice 'em up with onions, saute in butter till soft, add tomato slices (NOT supermarket fake tomatoes) until heated through, then mozzarella cheese and some herbs. Tasty side dish, and throw leftovers into an omelet.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:24 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
^^ Zucchini exists so that people can make zucchini bread. I don't like it on its own unless it's grilled.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
^^ Zucchini exists so that people can make zucchini bread. I don't like it on its own unless it's grilled.
Hahaha, my mom makes great zucchini bread. Yes, it's OK grilled. My friend eats it raw "instead of cucumbers". I'd rather have nothing instead of cucumbers.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I don't think I can think of ONE!
Racking my brain...nothing pops up.
No. I have not. Not one. There are people who hate bitter greens, okra, and artichokes - I LOVE them.

I love ALL fruit. Given the choice, I am not a wild fan of Delicious apples - but I love apples.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:17 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post

Love green and yellow summer squash (green is Zucchini). Dice it and quickly stir-fry over med-high heat to brown on both sides before it gets soft. I little bit of Adobo seasoning. serve and eat right away.

Also as mom used to make, saute sliced or diced zucchini and add to (canned) chopped or diced tomato and add some red pepper. Great side dish (this is what we called "zucchini")

Larger summer squash we scape out the seed part and "stuff" with rice and meat and bake in the oven, topping with grated cheese before serving. MMMM...

Old 08-17-2015, 11:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I am always a little surprised when people say they can not stand Zucchini. what is there not to like about it? That is one of those veggies that doesn't really have much flavor. spoiled brat could care if I even serve it, but he doesn't really dislike it. I love it with onions, garlic, maybe other squash thrown in or grilled, after marinating it for a few hours. No, it isn't my favorite, but it is good, low calorie and healthy. Now growing up mom boiled the heck out of it and served it with canned tomatoes. That I did hate!!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I hated zucchini as a kid, but I will eat it chopped small in salads or vegetarian enchiladas. Sliced and seedy and overcooked, I might still gag. Yellow squash is occasionally okay, but I can happily live without it. I have not had spaghetti squash in decades and might even like it now but will probably never find out.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I like zucchini in minestrone soup and in apple-zucchini-carrot muffins .... those are the only two dishes I can think of that I eat it in.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I like zucchini, but, yeah, not incredibly flavorful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink