Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 03:32 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,133,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
There was also one called Flavor-Aid (not sure if that's the correct spelling).
Everyone remembers Kool-Aid from the Jonestown Massacre -- and, as the OP alludes to, that's the origin of the expression "to drink the Kool-Aid" as meaning to unquestioningly swallow a set of dubious ideas -- but Kool-Aid gets a bad rap, because it was actually Flavor Aid that the cult members drank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:16 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,393,940 times
The other day. I have a pitcher of the orange and one of the grape in my fridge. Makes me feel like an 80s kid again!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
The other day. I have a pitcher of the orange and one of the grape in my fridge. Makes me feel like an 80s kid again!
you are just a youngin'

its funny,,, when you look back thru more adult eyes at some childhood things,,,,this thread reminds me of kool aid of course,,,but also,,

its funny what was important to kids..... not just kool aid ..but soda was a real treat as was sugary snacks...

it seemed there were many kids in our neighborhood, and we did like the one or two kids,,,who had great snacks and (gasp) soda!! to go over to their house,,and he brings out a can of soda to 5-6 kids ..,, we were all just so impressed and he would also have the best snacks,,,devil dogs,,,,crumb cakes,,,he would bring out a box and we would eat every one of those,,,lol

we loved the neighborhood moms that would ask us if we wanted a drink or something to snack on,,,to get a chocolate chip cookie,,,was like hitting the lottery ...

of course back then...after school, after chores many of us kids would play together ...always outside,,,and when it was close to dinner (supper)
the moms would be out hollering for us kids

we had a tough neighborhood,,,we would be fighting all the time,,,see which boy was the toughest...
but ,,,these kids that had great snacks,,,and a pool,,,we protected,,,didn't let anyone pick on them....

most of us kids had kool aid,,or that god awful water carnation milk....
but not soda

Old 08-15-2015, 10:10 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
My parents make koolaid. I usually have a very very diluted cup or 2 when I visit every few months. Think 25% koolaid/75% water.

But that being said, hibiscus tea tastes exactly like red koolaid. I buy the dried leaves, make some tea, sweeten with stevia, chill it and drink up!

Also, I had some delicious acai tea when I got a facial. Tasted like koolaid. Delicious!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,238,783 times
It's been a few years since I've had it. Not decades, but years, certainly.

I never cared for the fruit punch flavor; we got that plus cherry, black cherry, orange, lemon, strawberry, grape ... when the fruit punch was made up, I didn't drink it.

I wasn't supposed to have Kool-Aid in my room, so I'd take it up anyway (duh!) and hide it in my desk drawer. One day, I found an abandoned cup of grape that had begun to ferment.

Yes, I drank it.

Last edited by Emeraldmaiden; 08-15-2015 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: add anecdote.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:30 PM

12,578 posts, read 8,809,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you are just a youngin'

its funny what was important to kids..... not just kool aid ..but soda was a real treat as was sugary snacks...

it seemed there were many kids in our neighborhood, and we did like the one or two kids,,,who had great snacks and (gasp) soda!! to go over to their house,,and he brings out a can of soda to 5-6 kids ..,, we were all just so impressed and he would also have the best snacks,,,devil dogs,,,,crumb cakes,,,he would bring out a box and we would eat every one of those,,,lol

most of us kids had kool aid,,or that god awful water carnation milk....
but not soda
Yep. Of course we called it coke. Down south everything was "coke" regardless of which brand of coke it was.

But the thing was coke (soda, pop, whatever) was actually a special treat because it was relatively expensive, being made usually with cane sugar I believe. It wasn't until the widespread use of corn syrup (which is also one of the reasons not of the soft drinks taste like they used to) that the price dropped so dramatically that people could buy a half dozen 2-litres at a time.

One kids dad ran the local store and had a bunch of ginger ale bottles at his house. Some how the idea of having a ginger ale fight came across us kids, so naturally we went through a couple cases shaking them up and then popping the lids at each other. His dad was so mad about how much money we had wasted and all our moms were made about having to wash the sugar stickiness out of our clothes. Boy that was a fun memory.

Back to the question of Kool-Aid, since I still have one in high school, it wasn't that many years ago we were making it by the pitcher, and since my wife and I are both scout leaders, Kool-Aid is still pretty standard fare at many a scout event.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:31 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,600,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmtrees View Post
I think it was at least two decades ago, but I really liked it. Now however I would never drink it because now I know it's just full of high fructose corn syrup and other poisonous chemicals.
Buy the small packets and add whatever sweetener you want. It comes unsweetened so no HFCS unless you put it in.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:37 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,306,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Everyone remembers Kool-Aid from the Jonestown Massacre -- and, as the OP alludes to, that's the origin of the expression "to drink the Kool-Aid" as meaning to unquestioningly swallow a set of dubious ideas -- but Kool-Aid gets a bad rap, because it was actually Flavor Aid that the cult members drank.
I LOVE this! (I'm a trivia nerd, heh)

Old 08-16-2015, 07:38 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
People on the Political forum say I drink it all the time.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,692,695 times
I loved orange kool aid like crazy!! (The power .. mix your own)

Last year they changed it..... Removed vitamin E and made it CAFFEINE FREE and it tastes horrible now....... (@ least to me and how I loved it before)

If its not the caffeine free making it taste bad (Some ppl have told me its always been that way) then the removal of Vitamin E OR SOMETHING!!! (It doesnt taste as good as it did before they changed it (when they made the can say CAFFEINE FREE))

Myself I believe IT DID HAVE caffeine before and thats the reason for the change in flavour.. (I dont think taking a vitamin out would change the taste @ all)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink