Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:45 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
That's not authentic Chinese food, but Americanized Chinese. The differences are night and day.
thats the Lo Fan menu , the Chinese dont even eat that stuff themselves, they make what Americans want / expect from a Chinese take out / buffet.

to get the real Chinese food you have to go to cities with a large asian communities that serves the type of foods not listed on the menu

they will have the specials and the menus posted on the walls written in Chinese

most average Americans wouldnt like that stuff either, thats why it's not on the menu

a lot of people judge Chinese cuisine from places like Panda Express, China buffets in the suburbs of a non asian community.

that stuff is like the Taco Bell of asian fast food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 12:52 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
thats the Lo Fan menu , the Chinese dont even eat that stuff themselves, they make what Americans want / expect from a Chinese take out / buffet.

to get the real Chinese food you have to go to cities with a large asian communities that serves the type of foods not listed on the menu

they will have the specials and the menus posted on the walls written in Chinese

most average Americans wouldnt like that stuff either, thats why it's not on the menu

a lot of people judge Chinese cuisine from places like Panda Express, China buffets in the suburbs of a non asian community.

that stuff is like the Taco Bell of asian fast food
Exactly.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have limited experience with those foods, but the reason I tend to like Thai better is I like a sweet/hot taste. Thai seems to have those flavors more than the others. Chinese sweet/hot is mostly too sweet. They throw some sugary orange sauce on a food and call it a day. Not really familiar with Korean, but I picture some pale food with a lot of cabbage.
That's the same here. We have a Thai place owned by a Thai lady and it is really fresh and spicy, lot's of broth or really well blended sauces- not too sweet or sticky. Never had anything bad there, and a few things lit my taste buds up like a pinball machine on the jackpot..

All of our Chinese food places are that 'sticky-sweet-syrupy' crap from a can, with mushy unidentifiable pieces of gawd-knows what under an old Roy Rogers chicken lamp. Bleeech.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:27 PM

206 posts, read 382,695 times
Back in the thirties/forties a menu of "Chinese" dishes that appealed to the American palate were discovered, and served up across the nation. However, the American palate moved on, and many of the dishes that were particularly appealing back then (and often inauthentic) are less on-trend for foodies today.

A bit later, (back in the 80s, at a guess) some lucky restaurateur(s) discovered a few key Thai-ish dishes/flavors that had tremendous appeal for an American palate, and now Thai restaurants based on those more modern American tastes are spreading out from city centers.

Korean isn't as popular because a similarly appealing formula hasn't arisen, and some of the key dishes that are already seen as "authentic" Korean have limited appeal (e.g. kimchee).

On the question of authenticity: Back in the 90s I was a big fan of Thai food. On a trip to Japan, I was excited to go to a Thai restaurant as a change of pace (I'm also a fan of Japanese food). To my surprise, most of the features that I thought of as typical for Thai food, including spicy-sweet flavors and many of the sauces, were entirely absent from the fare our hosts ordered. Instead there was a fancy seafood stew that I think would take a restaurant nowhere fast in middle America. I suspect neither experience was more "authentically" Thai, just each shaped to fit the tastes of their respective customers.

Of course China is a huuuuge place with tremendous regional variation in cuisine, so talking about authentic "Chinese" food is like talking about authentic "European" food. China is about 3.7 million square miles, and Europe about 3.9., with China having almost twice as many people as Europe.

So when we talk about Chinese food and mean Kung Pao Chicken (from a Szechuan dish) and chop suey (invented by Chinese Americans probably based on a Cantonese dish), it's like talking about pizza and hamburgers as European cuisine, since pizza was invented in Italy and hamburgers may have been inspired by a German food.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:36 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
In my area, most "Chinese" is very bland Americanized/Cantonese. Lots of fried stuff. Thai is fresher, more diverse, uses different flavors like lemongrass, ginger, peanuts, mint, cilantro. Much tastier.
This. Chinese food has become American. Korean is very meat based. So, if you like barbeque, that's what they have.

Thia is fresh. Less deep fried and oily with many delicate and exotic spices. I agree it is tastier than the other two.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Watch "The Search for General Tso" on Netflix. It's about the Chinese takeout industry, and why they offer particular "Chinese" dishes.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:08 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
In my area, Thai may be seen as more "trendy", but the americanized Chinese food places and buffets are ubiquitous.

And as for the Korean restaurants that I have been to in NYC (because there are none where I live), the staff is more than willing to explain each of the banchan and the dishes. I think that the reason that Korean restaurants aren't more popular in my area is one, we don't have a large Korean population here, and two, many of the dishes aren't suited for the typical American palate.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I prefer Korean and Thai over "American Chinese" because I feel they are more authentic to their ethnicity. One of my favorite Korean dishes is the stir-fried squid dish, Ojingeo Bokkeum. When I go to Korean and Thai restaurants they are more receptive when I ask for a traditional dish instead of one tailored to the American palate. However, I have suffered from excessive fiery peppers a few times.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I like really hot, spicy food so Thai appeals to me.
Thai isn't the only cuisine that has hot and spicy dishes. Sichuan, Korean, Viet, Malaysian, Indian, all have hot and spicy. The only thing unique about Thai is the use of fruits like mangoe, coconuts, and bananas in their dishes. Otherwise, spicy dish is pretty common in almost all Authentic Asian cuisines.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's the same here. We have a Thai place owned by a Thai lady and it is really fresh and spicy, lot's of broth or really well blended sauces- not too sweet or sticky. Never had anything bad there, and a few things lit my taste buds up like a pinball machine on the jackpot..

All of our Chinese food places are that 'sticky-sweet-syrupy' crap from a can, with mushy unidentifiable pieces of gawd-knows what under an old Roy Rogers chicken lamp. Bleeech.
Unfortunately Americans in general relate Chinese to that fast food crap just like Taco Bell is to Mexican.

The main thing for me is that Thai is just one variety of Asian cuisine. There's really no such thing one Chinese cuisine, there are about 10+ varieties but there are 4-5 main varieties.

We have hunan, cantonese, sichuan, shanghai cuisines. Most Americans know very little of these styles as there are few places that primarily serves them but thousands of Chinese take-outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink