Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 07:54 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times

Advertisements

I figured since The Pats are playing I would also suggest a traditional New England appetizer. Steamers...New England Steamed Clams Recipe : Food Network!
This recipe is a good starting point. Tips: If you don't have corn meal use crushed crackers or dry bread crumbs and leave for more then 15 minutes, I leave as long as time allows. It will help push sand out of the clams. I never use the vegetables but I suppose it couldn't hurt. This recipe only works with soft shell clams. And of course do not eat any clams that do not open.

Now maybe someone from the Seattle area will chime in with a traditional recipe. I would love to see one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Great. I had just saved it to my favorites, it's one I haven't tried yet but on my list. I might leave out the cheddar/blue cheese when I make it.
Bought all of the ingredients to make this dish but I bought low fat cream cheese, sour cream and cheddar. I also bought these Perdue short cuts grilled chicken strips, they were on sale for $2.99 a bag, I bought 2. I am doing mine in a casserole dish in the oven instead.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:09 PM

86 posts, read 98,282 times
Make some Kansas City Caviar, can be eaten as a dip with tortilla chips or as a side dish to go along with dogs and burgers. The original recipe calls for raw bell peppers, but I like poblanos better.

1 can each yellow and white corn
1 can each white black beans
2 large tomatos
2 poblanos
2 jalapenos
1 whole white onion
6 green onions, tops only
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 cup of zesty italian dressing

I roasted the peppers/onion on the grill and when the peppers were done, placed in a paper bag so they could steam to get the skin off. Once the skin was off, take the stems and seeds out and dice.

While the peppers are steaming in the bag, dice the onion, green onion, garlic, tomato and cilantro. Drain 2 cans of corn and beans and place everything into a bowl. Lastly add the italian dress and mix together gently so not to break up the beans. Its good right away but so much better if you let it set in the fridge for a few hours to let all the flavors meld together.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:35 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
My old co-worker sent this to me a few years ago. It's so good - we made it for the 2013 Super Bowl. Sadly, I didn't get pictures.

Fruit Salsa

2 Granny smith apples washed, cored and cut into quarters
16 strawberries washes, hulled and cut in half (usually a 1 lb clamshell from the store is good)
2 kiwis peeled cut in half.
1 big tablespoon of jam or jelly of your choice

(this makes a double batch)

This is easiest if you have a food processor/chopper (but I guess a blender would work too).

Chop the apples in food processor until they’re in big chuncks (like the size of a large dice)
Add strawberries, kiwi and jam, pulse until desired consistency
That’s it!

I like to serve it with Nilla wafers, graham crackers, and stacey’s cinnamon pita chips.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I figured since The Pats are playing I would also suggest a traditional New England appetizer. Steamers...New England Steamed Clams Recipe : Food Network!
This recipe is a good starting point. Tips: If you don't have corn meal use crushed crackers or dry bread crumbs and leave for more then 15 minutes, I leave as long as time allows. It will help push sand out of the clams. I never use the vegetables but I suppose it couldn't hurt. This recipe only works with soft shell clams. And of course do not eat any clams that do not open.

Now maybe someone from the Seattle area will chime in with a traditional recipe. I would love to see one!
I always use little necks for steamers.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:51 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I always use little necks for steamers.
You do? I have never heard of using any hard shell clams for steamers, other New England dishes sure. If you haven't tried them, here in Massachusetts they sell them marked as steamer clams and can run as cheap as $1.99 a pound in the summer, I suggest you do. The soft shell clams are sweeter and have a longer neck. Which reminds me, one more tip, peel back the slimy black covering on the "neck" before dipping in the broth, then the melted butter.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:13 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Also a great thread to reference: //www.city-data.com/forum/food-...enu-ideas.html

Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Is everyone ready for tomorrow?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Here's a different way of doing 'pigs in a blanket' ... especially since the game is in Arizona

Rattlesnake Bites

Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Default Super Bowl 2015 What are you serving?

I wonder what everyone is making for SuperBowl Sunday.

I am thinking no supper but some heavy snacks.

Guacamole with Frito Dippers
Chinese BBQ country spare ribs (the bright pink sauce)
RI Style hot wieners (wieners, chili sauce, mustard, onion, celery salt) in a steamed bun, kosher dill on side
Roast Beef and Horseradish Cheddar cheese on marble rye with deli style mustard
Potato Salad
Cole Slaw with a Vinegar, celery seed and sugar dressing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink