Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 05:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's real food.....if it's not real what is it?

What you are ranting about is pre-prepared or mass produced foods. There are plenty of places that cook from scratch...you just have to pay attention to where you are eating at but it's not that hard to do.

Why don't schools cook everything like they used to? There budgets have been slashed to hell by people that dislike public schools...they don't have money for the staff that would cook any longer.
According to documentaries like Super Size Me, the food industry doesn't want to get shut out of schools. They make good $$ peddling mediocre food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Another shocked was what is in some of that pre-made food. When my daughter started having digestive problems with wheat, we asked to see gluten-free menus in some of the chain restaurants. MASHED POTATOES were not on the gluten-free menu, so I asked why. Mashed potatoes are made with potatoes, butter, and milk. That's it. It turns out that most places serve mashed potatoes with flour in them. WHY? WHY? WHY? Why in god's name would anyone put FLOUR into mashed potatoes? It's not necessary. It would explain the off taste, but I suspect it somehow helps keep the consistency when the stuff is being reheated from whatever form it arrived in at the restaurant.

That's just wrong.
Partially hydrogenated foods were touted for their increased shelf lives, so convenience often factors into it.

A an article stated how a restaurant put sugar into the crusts of their pizza to get kids and adults alike to come back more often. And just to be clear, we're talking about added sugars. Not the naturally forming ones in yeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the fresh food supply is much more safer today than 30 yrs ago,,, don't believe everything you see on Netflix

I worked in a supermarket 30 yrs ago,,,,, and saw some shoddy practices that have been cleaned up thru the years

I still remember the days when we would receive 900# of chicken quarters ... all packed on ice and all boxes dripping in the 90F weather. No matter how cqareful you were, you would have the melted ice and blood dripping from the boxes. And this was 1982 ...

There has been great improvement in food safety over the past 30 years. Unfortunately, none of it is well documented on You Tube.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Sorry, but this is not what I am talking about and it's not a matter of taste buds being less sensitive.

Have you looked at the "chicken" that is served in some places (in salads, etc. - supposed to be "grilled" chicken)? It might be leftover chicken parts that are mixed with who knows what and then pressurized and then painted with "grill" marks and then sliced. But it's not chicken. It's disgusting. That's the kind of thing I am talking about.
Rubber chicken tastes the same today as it tasted 50 years ago. You are the one who has changed, not the food.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Rubber chicken tastes the same today as it tasted 50 years ago. You are the one who has changed, not the food.
I don't recall there being any rubber chicken served 50 years ago. Sorry, I haven't changed. The food is not the same as it used to be. I don't know why you keep insisting that it is. We didn't even have all the "ingredients" 50 years ago to make the "food" that is made today.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
I disagree that they look and taste the same as they did in the 70s. They definitely do not. I think people forget what it really used to be like.

Wendy's always used (still does as far as I know) fresh hamburger meat that was delivered to the store each day and made their own patties. But they are not the same as they used to be. Now they use some weird buns that are chewy, for lack of a better word, instead of light and fluffy like buns are supposed to be. I'm guessing they have more preservatives for a longer shelf life or something.
You must have eaten an awful lot of burgers to have remembered them that intimately.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
The bottom line folks, fast food franchises have food factories and their foods are highly processed, everything is stretched to improve the bottom line. If you want real food, go to the grocery store where WYSIWYG.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yes, there are several family restaurants within easy driving distance, but none of them have a drive-through window. You have to go inside and order the special, which is always made fresh. One of my favorites, Karen's Coffee Cup, makes great breakfasts, puts together a decent burger with fresh ingredients on a grill toasted bun, and serves dinner specials like meat loaf and pot roast. Friday night is the prime rib special. Get there early, because they close at 9:00, and the special almost always sells out by 8:30.

As for school lunches, you must have lived during a golden time. I was in grade school in the '50s, and school lunches were USDA surplus foods: #3 corn, peas and beans, commodity cheese that was some sort of solidified milk product, and mystery meat out of a can. It was disgusting. My mom made my lunches.
I admit....our school system had very good food when I was growing up...except for a few items...the mac and cheese was horrible...tasted like soap. (This was the 70s and early 80s - but at the same time my daughter's schools started out 'at the turn of the century' having homemade food...and then it slowly changed because they had to keep cutting staff because of budget cuts.)

That being said...I can't take someone seriously who says that 'food' these days is all so bad...based on a fastfood chain! There are plenty of places that cook from scratch....one can not, as you said, pull through a window and order from a microphone...you might actually have to make a phone call and give them the time to prepare it...because you know...it's from scratch!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I don't recall there being any rubber chicken served 50 years ago. Sorry, I haven't changed. The food is not the same as it used to be. I don't know why you keep insisting that it is. We didn't even have all the "ingredients" 50 years ago to make the "food" that is made today.
What ingredients from 50 years ago can't be found today?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:22 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times
I remember when the first McDonald's opened in my town, in the early '60s. We thought the fries were incredibly good. Not so sure about the burgers. But when Big Mac was introduced, it was the best ever! Then we got a Geno's Giant (Geno Marchetti's short-lived chain), and I remember those burgers being very good. And then came the Whopper! You could have it your way! And it was grilled!!

Fast Forward 50 years. About twice a year I crave a Whopper Junior with cheese. And every time I'm SOOOO disappointed! But the memories persist.

I'm not sure the food actually WAS that much better. It was just better than anything else we had tasted by the time we were teenagers.

What has happened, for me, is that I've been exposed to so many more dining experiences over the decades. Some have been Michelin Star meals, many more have been just good honest food combining ingredients in ways and proportions that simply weren't used when I was much younger.

Plus, in retirement *I've* learned to cook much better than my mom did, again partly because so many ingredients are now available to home cooks that weren't when she had to make family meals. Bless her heart, I'm not sure she ever met a fresh vegetable except for the tomatoes she grew in the back yard and the celery sticks she stuffed with cream cheese. Everything else came out of the freezer (which for her was nigh-miraculously good, compared to, say, canned peas).

Old 08-30-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Plus, in retirement *I've* learned to cook much better than my mom did, again partly because so many ingredients are now available to home cooks that weren't when she had to make family meals.
LOL...so you are saying that more ingredients are available (which I tend to agree with) and the OP thinks that there are less of them to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink