Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:55 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I would love to leave it out in a butter dish, but my husband refuses. And when I say "refuses" I mean borderline ARGUMENT ERUPTING when I bring it up. *lol* It's a shame too, since I have a cute Fiestaware butter dish that NEVER gets used as a result...
Lol.... I would have it MY way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why would you be paranoid? We freeze ours when we buy a bunch on sale; take it out by the lb, put it in the fridge, take it out by the cube put it on a butter dish and leave it in the cupboard unless it is summer, then we have to keep it in the fridge most of the time.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

I usually have a few pounds in the freezer, one pound open in the fridge, and one cube in a covered butter dish that does fine left out for a few days. It takes a long time for butter to go bad, and then it goes rancid and the off odor and flavor will warn you not to eat it.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My in laws will leave butter out at room temperature all day long, sometimes overnight. I am always paranoid about using it or giving it to my kids. Of course Google says you should always keep it refrigerated, but nobody has ever gotten sick from my in laws' room temperature butter.....their creamy, soft, never rips your toast to shreds room temperature butter.

Does anyone else leave their butter out too?
I buy butter when it is on sale and put it in my freezer. When I take it out of the freezer it goes into a covered Butter dish. It goes farther because I use less but even then it will be gone within two days. Only reason I cover it is too keep bugs and mice from having a snack.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I would love to leave it out in a butter dish, but my husband refuses. And when I say "refuses" I mean borderline ARGUMENT ERUPTING when I bring it up. *lol* It's a shame too, since I have a cute Fiestaware butter dish that NEVER gets used as a result...
I'd use the butter dish anyway. He can keep his in the fridge, and you can keep yours on the counter or in cupboard.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:33 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
I only leave out the portion I am currently using & keep the rest refrigerated, bring out as needed.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:34 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
While theoretically there may not be anything wrong with leaving butter out, be aware that leaving food out unsupervised for a long time could attract a whole another set of issues, such as roaches.
I'm aware, I'm aware. It's entirely possible that the trash can in your kitchen could be attracting vermin as well.

Leaving butter out - that is, unrefrigerated - doesn't mean it is left uncovered. I'm pretty sure that the people responding to this question have been around long enough to "be aware" of the possibility of attracting vermin.

One year, I had carpenter ants in my kitchen cupboard, in the box of cereal, in the bag in the box of cereal, said bag having been folded down and clipped with a clothespin. I threw away the cereal, checked everything else, (no ants) wiped out the cupboard and set out Terro. No more ants.

I once had an infestation of red ants; those teeny tiny little things that you can't even see unless they are in a group. Know where they were? In the cupboard, in the can of shortening, despite the fact that there was a lid properly attached on the can. (They weren't near the butter on the counter)

So you see, if insects decide there is something you have that they want, they'll find it despite your best efforts. Not everything fits in the fridge.

But I expect that you'll discover these things for yourself. Do what you want with your butter - I leave mine out, on the counter, covered.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
They can safely be left on counter at room temp for weeks.
I would suggest always refrigerating eggs purchased at a store.

"So what's the deal with washing and refrigeration? Soon after eggs pop out of the chicken, American producers put them straight to a machine that shampoos them with soap and hot water. The steamy shower leaves the shells squeaky clean. But it also compromises them, by washing away a barely visible sheen that naturally envelops each egg."

Why The U.S. Chills Its Eggs And Most Of The World Doesn't : The Salt : NPR

Old 09-05-2015, 07:50 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

I usually have a few pounds in the freezer, one pound open in the fridge, and one cube in a covered butter dish that does fine left out for a few days. It takes a long time for butter to go bad, and then it goes rancid and the off odor and flavor will warn you not to eat it.
I do this also, freezer, fridge, counter~covered dish

Old 09-05-2015, 09:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
My old hillbilly boyfriend who lived on a farm (sharecroppers) from 1936 to 1955 left his butter out on the counter most of the time. Although fats can eventually go rancid and taste god awful, the salt in butter is probably put there to avoid microorganisms from promting that process. I not only keep it in the fridge, but also put sticks not yet in use, in the freezer. Keeps like forever.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:35 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I do this also, freezer, fridge, counter~covered dish
Yep, me too! I will add though that some guests have been less than pleased by this arrangement so their butter comes straight from the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink