Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:06 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in Portland, OR who does not refrigerate butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 08:06 AM

56 posts, read 55,716 times
It's interesting to me that some folks have said that where they live is too warm to leave butter out. Do these folks not air condition their home? Even in the hottest of hot days here, my house stays around 75-78.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:31 AM

174 posts, read 189,904 times
I keep my butter in the freezer - seriously. Ever since I went to GFS looking for butter chips and couldn't find them in the refrigerated section. It's too hard to spread of course, but not too hard to cut, and, I've found I kind of like the texture of a pat on plain bread.

Growing up, we used a potato peeler on a stick of cold butter for toast. I think cold butter tastes a lot better. Probably due to it not being rancid.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:32 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niugnep View Post
It's interesting to me that some folks have said that where they live is too warm to leave butter out. Do these folks not air condition their home? Even in the hottest of hot days here, my house stays around 75-78.
I live in Southern California, don't air condition my house, and I still leave butter out. Butter does not melt until about 90 F (32 C) and it's just about never that hot in the house even without a/c. It might be in the low 80s, but not over 90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Anyone who routinely keeps butter out clearly lives in a cool climate. You literally CANNOT keep the butter out in Australia, for about 8 months of the year, as it will be melted to liquid.
I'm finding it hard to believe that in Australia, homes are routinely over 32 C for 8 months of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
I think cold butter tastes a lot better. Probably due to it not being rancid.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:39 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
So when you guys say "butter" - do you use real butter, or margarine? I used margarine for years, which we always called butter even though it's really not, but now use real butter.
Only real butter. Margarine is nasty. I buy when it's on sale for $2 a pound and freeze it. I think I have 5 pounds in the freezer currently, another 2 or so in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niugnep View Post
I wondered about this as well. My AC thermostat is set at 78.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
I keep my butter in the freezer - seriously. Ever since I went to GFS looking for butter chips and couldn't find them in the refrigerated section. It's too hard to spread of course, but not too hard to cut, and, I've found I kind of like the texture of a pat on plain bread.

Growing up, we used a potato peeler on a stick of cold butter for toast. I think cold butter tastes a lot better. Probably due to it not being rancid.
Sorry, but softened butter on a counter is NOT rancid, unless it's been sitting there for months (but who has butter last that long?!).

I do not like cold butter, because it can't be spread.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:52 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
We have an old fashioned cut-glass butter dish that almost holds one cube of butter (actually the cube is just a little too high, so it leaves tracks on the inside of the lid) that we leave on the table year round.
A cube of butter never lasts long enough to get rancid., since we put it on baked potatoes, rice, banana bread, vegetables, etc.
Last month I made a dish of honey-butter to spread on the banana bread I took to a pot luck picnic. It has been sitting out on the counter ever since. I noticed yesterday that it has developed a rather strange flavor; not really rancid, but getting there. I guess it is time to throw it out.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My in laws will leave butter out at room temperature all day long, sometimes overnight. I am always paranoid about using it or giving it to my kids. Of course Google says you should always keep it refrigerated, but nobody has ever gotten sick from my in laws' room temperature butter.....their creamy, soft, never rips your toast to shreds room temperature butter.

Does anyone else leave their butter out too?
I don't use butter at home, so I can't give my own personal experience.

However, growing up in the Forties and Fifties my mother never put butter in the refrigerator unless it was so hot that it was melting. None of us perished from this, nor can I think of any illness we might have caught as a result of this custom. Personally I much prefer the taste of room temperature butter than that of the cold lumps you hack off of refrigerated butter, which seem much less flavorful to me.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Just curious. Where does people who do not refrigerate butter, put it?

Counter top? Pantry? Bread box?

Old 09-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Just curious. Where does people who do not refrigerate butter, put it?

Counter top? Pantry? Bread box?
Sits in a butter dish on my counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink