Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
In the summer we would have BLT's for dinner and leave the bacon grease in a heavy skillet over the pilot light on the range to keep it warm. We would drizzle warm bacon grease over white bread as a snack later in the evening.
GrampaTom, our 'lard' was always a mixture of whatever had been fried in the pan during the days prior. We always ate it cold though, and spread like butter. Ugh! I didn't know that people even had arteries in those days, LOL!

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
HUH?

What the heck would 'washing' them have to do with whether or not you put them in the fridge?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

And who the heck 'washes' their eggs anyway? Never heard of anyone doing that before.
Well, I'm pretty sure any egg you buy from the store has been washed before you bought it. Have you ever seen an egg right after it's been laid? Apparently not. It can have blood/dried slime on it and you would WANT to wash it before you cracked it.

When an egg is laid, there is a covering on the egg so the "pores" are closed. Once you wash it, that protective covering is gone and they have to be refrigerated.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niugnep View Post
It's true. Washing the eggs gets rid of a protective coating that makes the eggs non-porous and impervious to bacteria. The flaw in the other poster's post, however, is that most eggs purchased in the US have already been washed before they even hit the store shelves.

Why The U.S. Chills Its Eggs And Most Of The World Doesn't : The Salt : NPR
Of course they have been washed before they get to the store. Where did I say otherwise? I guess maybe my saying if you "buy" fresh eggs they don't have to be washed. I didn't mean buying eggs from the store , I meant if you buy eggs from a farmer (or have your own chickens). I was only referring to fresh eggs, not store bought eggs.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:32 PM

56 posts, read 55,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Of course they have been washed before they get to the store. Where did I say otherwise? I guess maybe my saying if you "buy" fresh eggs they don't have to be washed. I didn't mean buying eggs from the store , I meant if you buy eggs from a farmer (or have your own chickens). I was only referring to fresh eggs, not store bought eggs.
We had no way to know that from what you posted. My comment was related to what you said, not what you meant.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
We had no way to know that from what you posted. My comment was related to what you said, not what you meant.
What I said is if you buy FRESH eggs, you do not have to refrigerate them. Store bought eggs are not FRESH eggs.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:49 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My in laws will leave butter out at room temperature all day long, sometimes overnight. I am always paranoid about using it or giving it to my kids. Of course Google says you should always keep it refrigerated, but nobody has ever gotten sick from my in laws' room temperature butter.....their creamy, soft, never rips your toast to shreds room temperature butter.

Does anyone else leave their butter out too?

"Google" also tells you to keep it out - depends where you look on Google.

I leave it out unless its real warm.

Since butter was invented and eaten for hundreds of years before refrigeration was invented.....

Old 09-04-2015, 02:41 PM

56 posts, read 55,716 times
Quote:
What I said is if you buy FRESH eggs, you do not have to refrigerate them. Store bought eggs are not FRESH eggs.
Store bought eggs may not be AS fresh as "farm-fresh," but they can still be fresh. I've never heard the term "fresh" used to mean NOT store bought.

But this is all beside the point since the thread is about butter.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:01 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Quote:
Store bought eggs may not be AS fresh as "farm-fresh," but they can still be fresh. I've never heard the term "fresh" used to mean NOT store bought.

But this is all beside the point since the thread is about butter.
Well, it is off the point, but I agree with Niugnep. Fresh eggs are raw eggs still in the shell. They are not dried, not frozen, and not cooked. But "fresh" doesn't necessarily mean they're straight from the chicken with no intermediate steps at all, such as washing or refrigeration or packing in cartons.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, it is off the point, but I agree with Niugnep. Fresh eggs are raw eggs still in the shell. They are not dried, not frozen, and not cooked. But "fresh" doesn't necessarily mean they're straight from the chicken with no intermediate steps at all, such as washing or refrigeration or packing in cartons.
Having been raised on a farm, fresh eggs are straight from the chicken. Some say farm fresh, but just fresh means the same thing.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:57 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Having been raised on a farm, fresh eggs are straight from the chicken. Some say farm fresh, but just fresh means the same thing.
Well, NOT having been raised on a farm, I wouldn't assume that "farm fresh" eggs had not been washed. Just my ignorance I suppose. After all, I call conventional milk in a carton at the supermarket "fresh." It's not dried, not canned, not frozen, so it's fresh. But maybe when people on farms say "fresh milk" they mean "raw milk."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink