Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:55 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

I think one thing I do that I shouldn't, is eat fast.

Without even thinking, I tend to scarf down food. People I'm with usually express surprise at how fast I eat.

I have been that way for a long time, maybe it was my time in the Navy decades ago?

Eating slower is probably better for your digestion, and also helps you not to overeat.

I keep reminding myself to eat slower.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ing-foods.aspx

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...e_of_food.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:02 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
I eat slow; taking up to 45mins most times.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:18 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
I eat slow as well, but do attribute your affinity to service.
My wife's grandfather ate food so fast I once saw him sling a pea into his ear. No kidding.
Air force.
He had the plate cleared in under 3 minutes, amazing and disturbing (what they must do to you guys). But I understand, being on battle-move
must have dictated this?

Old 09-13-2015, 03:16 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
depends what it is....

as a kid I got invited to a friends house for sunday dinner....they had 4 boys in the family,,, about one year apart all teenagers,,,

well,,,we got to the table,,,,the mother said help myself and then we will say grace,,,so I took a pork chop and mashed potatos,,,and everyone started to load their plates,,,, then the father said we will say grace ,,, and everyone held hands like the waltons....
it was silent,,,the father said grace,,,and then said "let the sparks fly" and he wasn't kidding,,,,ive never seen a family eat so fast,,,like a pack of hyenas on bambi .....
that's when I figured out why they all held hands,,,,before thet started,,, for an even playing field....
this was serious business, no talking,,,just eating,,,,then they had to ask to be excused from the table...

Old 09-13-2015, 05:17 AM

465 posts, read 418,323 times
I am a fast eater. I think my reasons for this are connected to being part of large household and my military career. I have tried to slow down but I still consume way too fast.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think one thing I do that I shouldn't, is eat fast.

Without even thinking, I tend to scarf down food. People I'm with usually express surprise at how fast I eat.

I have been that way for a long time, maybe it was my time in the Navy decades ago?

Eating slower is probably better for your digestion, and also helps you not to overeat.

I keep reminding myself to eat slower.

7 Reasons Why Chewing Your Food Is Important

Excerpt of Mary Roach’s Gulp: How many times should you chew a bite of food?
When my husband enlisted and was at Navy boot camp, his fellow enlistees were talking about having to wolf down meals in the galley. He had just come out of about six years of teaching middle school, where he had lunch room duty, and basically had to cram down a sandwich while standing every day, and he was like, "We have, like, almost 15 whole minutes, and we get to sit! Jackpot!"

I tend to eat quickly, also from working in schools. Duty-free lunch was a rarity.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:41 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
I'm a slow eater, and my husband inhales food. Frequently he's finished his meal before I've taken two bites - literally. Fortunately for me, he's the patient type.

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:08 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
I'm a slow eater. I like to savor my food, especially dinner.

I cannot eat fast. When I'm pressed for time to eat, I eat 2 or 3 bites at the most, and the rest ends up wasted. If I try to eat any faster, I feel like I'm choking.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:30 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I've always been a fast eater. Whether it be at home or in a restaurant. I can't tell you how many times in a restaurant, the server has commented on how fast I ate the meal. It's just not my thing to sit down, and spend a lot of time eating a meal. I have to really force myself to slow it down, when I'm in a restaurant with others. Then I have to really slow it down. So that I'm not sitting there finished, and they are not even half way thru their meal. Usually that doesn't work, and I am finished eating before the others.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I'm a fast eater. Not really sure why, but I practically inhale my food in 2-3 minutes flat. If I could stand it, I'd probably liquefy the whole damn meal in the blender and choke it down in one hearty gulp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink