Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:42 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

I ate at two Michelin starred restaurants in Queens, and tbh I thought both were overrated. One was a Mexican restaurant which was actually good, but you can find much better Mexican if you go to the Bronx or deeper into Queens. The Thai place had decent food but in an area of Queens with amazing bombass Thai restaurants I wouldnt go back there again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 04:15 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
I find it worth it. I enjoy great food in every form, a three starred Michelin restaurant or out of a food truck. If it's good, it's good.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
You're starting with an incorrect premise. Two of them, in fact.

First, it sounds like you're wrongly assuming that any starred restaurant is unaffordable expensive. Second, it sounds as though you think that it would necessarily be a rare experience. Neither is necessarily the case.

You got me curious, though, so I looked up to see what Michelin star restaurants I might have been to. Turns out, quite a few. Some I went to less expensively during the annual Restaurant Week special discounts.

But I think the question of whether it's worth it depends on how important food is to a person. A lot of people don't care much one way or the other.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
It depends on the experience you want. If I found myself in Yountville again I would rather have the fried chicken at Ad Hoc next to the French Laundry than eat there again. We had an amazing meal there but it took 5 hours and was exhausting. There are a lot of great restaurant experiences to be had that don't have a Michelin Star, a lot of hard working chefs with great food that don't strive for the recognition. Finding those places is far more fun for me than going to something recognized in a book.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You're starting with an incorrect premise. Two of them, in fact.

First, it sounds like you're wrongly assuming that any starred restaurant is unaffordable expensive. Second, it sounds as though you think that it would necessarily be a rare experience. Neither is necessarily the case.

You got me curious, though, so I looked up to see what Michelin star restaurants I might have been to. Turns out, quite a few. Some I went to less expensively during the annual Restaurant Week special discounts.

But I think the question of whether it's worth it depends on how important food is to a person. A lot of people don't care much one way or the other.

First, I made no premise based on money, if that's what you mean by "unaffordable expensive". My premise is based on "worth", as you saw. I was thinking of the energy involved in researching the place, in getting a reservation, convincing others it's worth a try, getting dressed up for some of the places, actually getting there if it isn't nearby, and sure, the money cost if that matters to the diner. Second, re the rarity of the experience, others told me how they saw it. I've never been to a starred restaurant so have no way to make comparisons or conclusions. That's why I asked the question. I agree with you that it depends on how important food is to a person. From my point of view there are plenty of other factors too. Again, that's why I asked the question. For me the most interesting part is how important having a particular experience can be to an individual, maybe including me at some point, food related or not.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Michelin currently rates restaurants in the US, but they only do it in NYC, Chicago, and the San Fransisco Bay Area. They previously had guides for Los Angeles and Las Vegas, but they suspended publication of those. They have never published a guide for New Orleans and southern Louisiana!

There's a plethora of outstanding restaurants outside of areas they cover in the US. Has anyone ever been disappointed after dining at Antoines's in New Orleans or the Penrose Room in Colorado Springs? There are hundreds if not thousands more in this country.

I've found that the most reliable information comes from local restaurant columnists who must face their readers and editors on a weekly basis or oftener.

The single best meal that I ever had in Paris was at a bistro in the old Les Halles market. It was tripe stew accompanied by a bottle of vin ordinaire.

The best German food I ever tasted was at Ann Schmidt's fabled Heidelberg in Denver. It was better than any restaurant in Bavaria.

Good food, like gold, is where you find it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide

Old 09-22-2015, 08:29 AM

677 posts, read 653,261 times
As some have pointed out, Michelin doesn't rate restaurants all over the US. But if we get away from that group and refer to just really great dining establishments, "foodie" types of places then I would say that yes, it is absolutely worth it. Will there be hits and misses? Sure. Are some places overrated and overpriced. Yes. But they are more hit than miss and I've had some amazing meals and great times with friends dining in those establishments.

I'm not rich, in fact I'm a social worker engaged to a teacher, so we obviously have a limited budget. We still are able to have 1-2 nice meals a month (one with friends, and usually a second on our own). I myself am a great cook - everyone who knows me keeps telling me I should go on Masterchef, I know my way around the kitchen, and I can cook better Italian than most any Italian restaurant. That said, it is still fully worth the experience of going out to these places for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I ate at 2 diners in Las Vegas. Each one had a billboard / sign calling it the best diner in the world. They were okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Yeah, I ate at a buffet that advertised itself as "the best buffet in the history of mankind" and "Best buffet as voted by a bunch of fat slobs."

It wasn't any better than Sizzler.
Imnotsosure, if your post was a troll of RadicalAtheist then good job; if you were being serious? There is no such thing as a good buffet. Buffet food is inherently inferior to well prepared made to order food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I ate at 2 diners in Las Vegas. Each one had a billboard / sign calling it the best diner in the world. They were okay.
As others have pointed out there is a huge difference between a top quality restaurant and one that advertises itself as such. A truly top class place doesn't advertise that, as it is both tacky and unneeded. If you have top quality food people will find you without that kind of crap.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
...There is no such thing as a good buffet...
Sure there is. There's even a buffet that I would call exceptional. Take a gander at the Bellagio seafood buffet.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:49 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
From what I have seen on tv, showing the plates put out by "Michelin-starred" restaurants, I don't think this ol' country boy would be comfortable in one.
A little bitty square of cheesecake, with some chocolate sauce "artistically" swirled around it? Not even enough sauce to taste? No, thanks, especially considering the price.
I will go to the Bull Mountain grill and have a medium rare top sirloin steak with baked potato and the vegie of the day, spend less money, and be much happier. And, I will NOT leave the place feeling hungry!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
From what I have seen on tv...
Yeah, that's the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink