Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times

Advertisements

One of my college room mates ate Balut for breakfast. Once he started the other guys started to bring it for breakfast. They thought they could gross me out but I've seen worse than fully developed chicks inside of eggs.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times
Balut was a hearty part of my diet while serving in Viet Nam. Not as bad as it looks.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:06 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Well, now you *know* that I *had* to Google "balut" after your conversation, Lodestar and Miss Hepburn.

Curiosity killed the cat... and me.
Bwhaha!!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,180 times
People are gross, what can you do?

Old 09-22-2015, 12:55 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I remember Josh eating something like Balut when he was on Destination Truth. Now that was a guy who could eat anything, and he started gagging and throwing up.

All I know is, if I opened an egg and saw a baby bird in there, I'd drop it and run screaming.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Balut was a hearty part of my diet while serving in Viet Nam. Not as bad as it looks.
its amazing how less squeamish we would all be if we were ever really hungry or in a survival situation

90% of our population does not know what being very hungry is ... or in a survival situation

we are very spoiled....

good thing our ancestors weren't as squeamish we'd be extinct

thank you for serving this country !

Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I remember reading that when the Puritans came to American they considered lobster to be inedible and it was considered food only for prisoners and the very poor. Guess if you look at one first and have never tasted it a person wouldn't want to eat it.

A girl I graduated with spent her life's work with missionaries. The strange things she ate would fill a small thread. In the Seventies she was in the Amazonian jungles of Ecuador and wrote me this story:

They were hiking many miles out into the remote areas to establish a church. When they arrived the villagers were waiting for them and some of them had packages of folded banana leaves which they gave to my friend and her coworkers and made eating motions with their hands.

When they opened the leavers there were clusters of live grub worms writhing around inside. One of the missionaries said, "If we don't eat these we will be insulting their welcome to us. Will someone say a prayer?"

Another of them said, "Thank you for the food we are about to receive. Father, I'll eat these up if you will help me keep them down."

Here's n example of what they ate:
https://vimeo.com/27878540

Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Real Beer Cheese smelled so bad to me I swore I would never eat it. I changed my mind during a College Fraternity initiation when I was forced to eat about four ounces of it. I loved it. To paraphrase "once you get past the smell it is great".

Old 09-22-2015, 11:13 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The canned Beverly Bulk Sausage.. Comes in a can.. Smells like dog food.

I enjoy squid.. Korean restaurant I go to, that's usually what I get. Never had it dried.

I never saw a Balut in Hawaii while I was out there. Squid, Octopus, etc.. Yes.. But never a balut.

That canned crab meat.. Now, I love the 'imitation' crab meat that you can get in the seafood section.. But that canned crab meat had a fishy smell that just wafted throughout the building. I threw the can away, then had to go get the trash bag and take it out to the dumpster and it was still several hours before the smell cleared.

Oddly.. Chef Boyardee is another on my no-no list. Disgusting stuff. I can't even stand to smell it 'cooking'.
Balut is fermented chicken embryo, in other words a fermented egg. It is not referred to as "a" balut, but in the collective. To some folks it's a treat.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:31 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Balut is fermented chicken embryo, in other words a fermented egg. It is not referred to as "a" balut, but in the collective. To some folks it's a treat.
I think it's actually duck, traditionally, right?

Anyway, I was talking with a co-worker and he's had it often; and said it's pretty good. He said he was going to bring me one to try. I was pretty excited. Reading this thread, I am reminded that I need to call him to remember to bring one in.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink