Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times

Advertisements

The only thing I can think of that is a nuisance to prepare are the Jerusalem artichokes. Very annoying to peel.

I do salad greens two days worth at a time because of the time involved in all the washing and peeling involved. I don't make simple salads but the time involved does not stop us from eating salads almost every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:46 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,138 times
I'm guilty when it comes to leafy greens, too. It's not that they are too difficult, it is that they are too *perishable*. For whatever reason they seem to come in quantities that are either too large or too small for what I need, and by the time I am ready to eat them again in a couple of days they have already begun to turn. I hate wasting the leftover portion and I don't want to eat the very same salad every day, so I wind up buying them less often to avoid having to deal with it.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Spinach & broccoli are frozen! How hard is the microwave? No excuse!
Not at my house! Fresh broccoli is so easy in the micro. Spinach I buy fresh except if it's
for a quiche.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:12 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Beets. I love them, but not the mess of preparing them, so I buy the already steamed variety.
I have never heard of this. Are they in the produce section?

I love beets. I just had beet tzatziki at a restaurant that I'm going to make this week. Not only do I need to peel them, but then I need to grate them. Yikes.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:15 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never heard of this. Are they in the produce section?

I love beets. I just had beet tzatziki at a restaurant that I'm going to make this week. Not only do I need to peel them, but then I need to grate them. Yikes.
Pre-cooked beets are awesome! Although if you are set on making them yourself, then its less mess to use golden beets.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:40 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,162,865 times
I just throw veggies into the juicer and do it that way. My usual 'recipe' is broccoli, beets (including the greens), spinach, sometimes kale,collard greens or brussel sprouts. That's it for greens. Then I throw in an orange, apple, tomato, and usually a kiwi fruit. If they are in season I'll add strawberries and cherries to.

All in all it takes about ten minutes or so to prep, juice and consume. I do still make veggies at dinner or just for snacks, but the majority is through the juicer.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:05 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Fresh beets II love but I buy them canned because I cannot be bothered with peeling them and I hate when the dye from the beets get all over my fingers
Artichoke's stuffed, too much of a hassle. If I do make something with artichokes I buy them in the can.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Rutabagas. I get that damned knife stuck in it every time, plus it's a pain to peel. We usually only have them at Christmas time, so it isn't a biggie.
Isn't that a pain? It seems like they are firmer than they used to be but it's probably that my hands aren't as strong as they used to be. We have them at Christmas, too. Usually I recruit the male member of the household to do that job.

Pretty humble fare for a Christmas dinner but everyone looks forward to them.

When we buy them it is very unusual for the clerks to know what they are. It always amazes me that the check-out people don't know their vegetables. Can't ring 'em up if you don't know what they are.

I've been cooking for forty-eight years and, while I have my moments of inspiration and all-day-to-prepare meals still, I have a lot more lazy kitchen days.

You can only peel so many pounds of carrots and potatoes in a lifetime. Then you're in for a scolding. You get to the pearly gates and the first thing St. Peter says after checking his book is, "Lodestar, it says here you spent exactly 4,362 hours in that life you were given peeling vegetables. Couldn't you have found something a little more spiritually uplifting to do with all those precious hours?" (This is how I rationalize anything I don't want to do.)

My problem is that I have pretty sensitive taste buds and I swear I can taste the preservatives they soak their pre-prepared veggies in. And I don't like that taste.

My husband's favorite is green beans and we've just finished green bean season in MN. Not my favorite thing to clean. I try to do a handful at a time and am glad they are done for the season.

I always call them "dem damn string beans" after an old family joke. Dad had a huge garden and shared his veggies with everybody. At the end of the summer he asked an old neighbor lady if she wanted any more vegetables. And she hollered down the street at him, "Yah, but don't bring me anymore of dem damn string beans." We laughed for years about this.

Last edited by Lodestar; 09-22-2015 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 02:53 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Put the artichokes in glass pan that fits them snugly. Add 1" water to pan, cover all with plastic wrap and zap in the microwave for about 12 minutes or until the leaves in the middle and bottom pull out easily.
I also add lemon juice. But 6-8 minutes for 1-2 artichokes, then leave them alone in the microwave for 2-3 minutes to steam.

I was surprised that artichokes showed up so often on this list. We love 'em and it's not that big a deal to prepare them using poultry shears and the above microwave method. But the cost offends me quite often!

Beets - yes they are messy, but not that much work. Trader Joes sells them already cooked in their salad dept, but I've never bought them.

Kale is one that I've decided is too much hassle. Massaging the leaves, cooking the bacon, slicing the garlic cloves oh-so-thinly, letting it cook forever, and it still tastes like crap.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:04 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Not at my house! Fresh broccoli is so easy in the micro. Spinach I buy fresh except if it's
for a quiche.
I agree with you on using fresh broccoli & spinach instead of frozen. The difference in taste & texture is so different when it comes to fresh steamed broccoli. My issue with Spinach is how perishable it is and becomes wilted quickly after opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink