Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:19 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times

Advertisements

Crunchy Ebi Roll from Joss in Annapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 01:36 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Which types of sushi rolls are generally regarded as the best tasting? Like how the various "berry" flavored Starbursts are generally everyone's favorite. Or how the chocolate flavored donuts generally go first when people bring a few dozen of them to work.

Which types of sushi rolls are generally the most popular?
People love California rolls (I don't know why because they aren't even good). I would think that shrimp tempura, spicy tuna, and Philadelphia rolls are also among the most popular/common. Personally, I always get rolls with either salmon, eel, tuna, shrimp tempura, and sometimes real crabmeat (I don't like the fake stuff that's in California rolls).

Old 09-27-2015, 01:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Nori is a type of dried seaweed. It's dark green. The see-through wrapper you're referring to is a spring roll wrapper, made of rice paper, and not used on sushi.

I agree with California rolls being a good choice for the uninitiated or for a group of people whose personal tastes you don't know. Real sushi aficionados, however, tend to prefer rolls made with raw fish.
Just make sure your nori doesn't get harvested near Fukushima. Otherwise your sushi will glow in the dark.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:29 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
Were I putting out a spread for a party, I would offer the "holy trinity": California; shrimp tempura; spicy tuna rolls. Being a raw fish person, I'd also offer ordinary salmon, tuna, and yellowtail rolls.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Were I putting out a spread for a party, I would offer the "holy trinity": California; shrimp tempura; spicy tuna rolls. Being a raw fish person, I'd also offer ordinary salmon, tuna, and yellowtail rolls.
Spicy tuna is raw tuna mixed with spicy mayo. Or is it different for you?

Old 09-27-2015, 03:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I resisted the pressure to try sushi until just just two weeks ago, and finally gave in. Beside the CA roll, I tried one with salmon, one with tuna and two with crab. While I would not consider them nasty, they did nothing for me. I tried it, and that's as far as it goes.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
Salmon skin or eel and avocado roll for people who don't like raw, yellow tail with scallion for me

Old 09-27-2015, 11:01 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I'd say this is right on. Though California, shrimp tempura, and spicy tuna are not my personal picks, they are generally the reliable crowd-pleasers. (We are on the same page, Amelorn, I'd happily take simple and delicious tuna, salmon, and snapper, maybe a rainbow roll if I was to Americanize it with a bit of avocado, over the others.)

Old 09-27-2015, 11:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
I'd like sushi if not for the rice. I can't explain it but it's a combination or the texture and taste but definitely the texture.

I like rice but sushi rice is kind of....I can't really explain it but it taste nasty.

The rice throws me off. The taste of everything else is okay but I tried one of the IMO "traditional" ones with the black and rice and veggies inside (I think the black rolls when I think "sushi").

The rice made me almost throw up

I love rice but however that stuff is cooked and/or dipped in is no bueno If it were regular white riced cooked and rolled I'd love the mess out of that kind of sushi.

Separated all of the components doesn't sound unappetizing. But rolled up that rice ruins it to my tongue.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:40 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Spicy tuna is raw tuna mixed with spicy mayo. Or is it different for you?
Indeed, it is just chopped raw tune with spicy mayo. However, I understand that many restaurants purchase it in bulk from a distributor. Example A tuna roll made fresh from a fillet is as "different" from a spicy tuna roll as an artisan butcher's steak is from a Big Mac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink