Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:18 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,570,528 times

Advertisements

We are having a special event coming up, and we want to have a large "Chip & Dip" table for the cocktail hour, with lots of varieties of dips for "dipping". We will not have time to make these assorted dips from scratch.

Can you "foodies" out there recommend a great and yummy brand of gourmet dip mixes that are just mixed up with sour cream and/or cream cheese? Not just the standard grocery store fare. We would like to have both savory and sweet varieties. We are willing to special order them online, and pay a premium price for some really good ones. I find lots of them when doing an online search, but I don't know one from another, better to have suggestions from people who have actually purchased and tasted them.

Any experience or good suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 06:51 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,416,471 times
Make Knorr veggie soup mix spinach dip, but double the green onions and water chestnuts.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:16 PM

251 posts, read 244,704 times
One hit I remember from a party I attended was this: equal parts full fat cream cheese and a high quality sharp grated cheddar mixed together with curry powder, a little salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Form into whatever shape you want. Artfully smother this mix with a mango chutney. Generously sprinkle scallions on top, green parts only. Supply ample crackers and/ore vegetables to dip with. Best served after it has sat out for a little while to soften, and better when made the day before for the flavors to come together.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:45 PM

811 posts, read 1,138,286 times
Oil and Vinegar puts out a really great line of gourmet, instant dip mixes. Some are meant to be mixed with olive oil, some mayo or sour cream, some can go either way... I'd start here: Dried Herb Blends from Oil & Vinegar - Bellevue, Washington
The African Zulu mix is excellent, and I always have the Bruschetta mixes on hand (they do work great with mayo or sour cream, though might be less a fit for chips and more for bread, veggies, crackers) for fixing quick appetizers. I also really love the Dukkah dip and the "dipper blends" for bread-dipping.

If I were in your shoes, crunched for time and putting together a table of dips, I'd find a Middle Eastern grocery or at least a good Middle Eastern section in the standard grocery store, and pick up hummus, tzatziki, and muhammara (my favorite of the three!). Each is delicious, they taste beautiful together, and make a lovely, colorful display. Perfect for chips, crackers, veggies, bread... anything, really. They would not be difficult to make a day in advance if you could do that, but shouldn't be too hard to find in a good grocery store either. Oil and Vinegar sells versions of muhammara and tzatziki dip mix as well, but I haven't tried either, personally, so can't vouch for them: MUHAMMARA DIP 190g/6.4oz - Bellevue, Washington and Search results for: 'tzatziki' - Bellevue, Washington).

Another thing I'd recommend that is unique/gourmet-feeling and tasty is chutney. You could easily find a few different flavors of chutney and display those with chips. You can find jars of chutney at any grocery store, but should be able to find some special ones online without trouble as well.

Many grocers also carry smoked salmon mousse and/or crab dips as fresh products in their seafood departments. I've picked up both many times for last minute party appetizers. I love the smoked salmon mousse best, but both are great.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:46 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,750,163 times
Penzey's makes some dip mixes and spice blends that could be used in dip and they are pretty good. Green Goddess is a personal fave.

https://www.penzeys.com/search/#?q=dip

Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM

620 posts, read 635,452 times
I hate to sound critical, but if I were to encounter a table full of dips that were just a bunch of various "dip mixes" mixed in sour cream or yogurt, I'd be pretty disappointed. That's fairly one-note, and misses a whole bunch of dipping possibilities.

Fresh salsa or guacamole, spinach artichoke dips, fruit salsa, chorizo queso, shrimp dip, pineapple fluff dip, buffalo chicken dip, hummus, baba ganoush, bean dip, mexican corn dip ... none of these take a great deal of time or effort, and can be made in advance. If it's a special event, put a little bit of effort in. It will be worth it.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:22 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,676,239 times
^^^^^^What they said.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:22 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,291,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Make Knorr veggie soup mix spinach dip, but double the green onions and water chestnuts.
I second that: it is the best. Also never forget the good old stand by: California dip, better known as onion soup dip. We also like shrimp or seafood, For that we use cream cheese and a little mayo plus lemon juice and a few drops of hot sause. Queso is always a popular choice. If you want to serve sliced apples for instance a basic chocolate dip works great.
BTW, Yandex, I know what you mean but I don't see anyone or the OP speaking of just sour cream or yoguart for dipping. Some of the suggested recipes call for melted cheese, cream cheese and mayo plus of course sour cream. I think op gave the suggestion of cream cheese or sour cream for starters, not saying all much stick with just sour cream. Maybe I misread what she was asking.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:39 PM

20,866 posts, read 28,221,361 times
How about assorted hummus? They make all kinds of different flavors and you can serve them with pita chips. I also second the Knorr vegetable soup mix for spinach dip. If you can get the spring vegetable one I think it's better than the regular vegetable dip mix. Costco make a really good crab dip and a mango salsa as well.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:06 PM

620 posts, read 635,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I second that: it is the best. Also never forget the good old stand by: California dip, better known as onion soup dip. We also like shrimp or seafood, For that we use cream cheese and a little mayo plus lemon juice and a few drops of hot sause. Queso is always a popular choice. If you want to serve sliced apples for instance a basic chocolate dip works great.
BTW, Yandex, I know what you mean but I don't see anyone or the OP speaking of just sour cream or yoguart for dipping. Some of the suggested recipes call for melted cheese, cream cheese and mayo plus of course sour cream. I think op gave the suggestion of cream cheese or sour cream for starters, not saying all much stick with just sour cream. Maybe I misread what she was asking.
The OP was asking for recommendations for dip MIXES.

Quote:
Can you "foodies" out there recommend a great and yummy brand of gourmet dip mixes that are just mixed up with sour cream and/or cream cheese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink