Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Probably, but the important thing for all of us to remember is: what one study shows today will not be the same a year from now. Farm fish period isn't as healthy as fresh out of the wild, and yet, most of us do not have an never ending supply of money. I would like to see a lot more studies that show Farm salmon on a list of the 20 worst foods for us: There are a lot of other foods that probably should be on the list before any kind of fish.
The problem with farmed fish is that it's fed corn and other things that cause it to create omega-6 oil, which you then consume. One of the health reasons for consuming fish is to get the omega-3 oil that fish create in their natural state and which has been shown to lower chokesterol. Omega-6 is what the body stores in the belly to help us survive the winter when food stockpiles are low . Since we don'the really need our bodies to store this extra belly fat to survive the winter because we have a steady food supply all year, it just sits there as fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:07 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What's wrong with cantaloupe? I only eat one or two a year, so I'm not worried, but I've never read any warnings.
I wondered that myself, I googled, and indeed, it's extremely healthy, but there was an outbreak of bacteria laced cantelope that made many sick and some even died. All these melons were traced to one grower in Colorado,so once again, I am enjoying one with breakfast.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:51 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What's wrong with cantaloupe? I only eat one or two a year, so I'm not worried, but I've never read any warnings.
A yr or two ago some cantaloupe was contaminated with salmonella. That's the only thing about that. We kept eating it. We eat a lot of it. lol

Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
I'm gonna get ripped for this, but....wth.

It's funny how people will shy away from gmo's, hormones, pesticides when I bet they have no idea about withdrawal. Do people understand that farmers EAT what they grow? Locally sourced foods? BUT, nothing wrong with a processed can of soup. To each their own and wish all well, I am serious about that, but unless you research your food, liberal media is not research(LOL!!!), then don't believe the "gossip".

Every "body" is different. Do what is best for you and your body.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
...maple syrups...To say to get Grade A amber? Really? Grade B has more flavor and is healthier. Its well worth tracking it down.
This information is incorrect, there is/was no 'health' difference between grades 'A' and 'B'.

Maple syrup is graded by color. Lighter colored syrup is produced by sap collected earlier in the season when the weather is cooler, darker syrup comes from sap collected during warmer weather. Darker syrup *does* have more flavor, but there is no more or less 'health benefit'.

The maple syrup grading system has recently been changed. Grade 'A' comprises four colors- Golden, Amber, Dark, and Very Dark. Grade 'B' AKA 'Commercial Grade' or 'Processing Grade' is not available to consumers, but may be sold to restaurants and other food producers for incorporation as an ingredient in other recipes.

Some states in the US formerly used different grading systems, particularly Vermont, which *did* have Grades A, B, and C (Commercial Grade, not available to consumers for table use); with variations within Grade 'A'. This system is being consolidated and standardized, as above.

Canada, and some provinces, also used different grading systems. The International Maple Syrup Institute (IMSI) has worked to achieve this consolidation and standardization of the grading system in order to decrease confusion over grades in both the US and Canada, and in the various states and provinces. Nearly everyone will now use the same grading system, though some areas may experience delays before the new system is adopted (notably: Quebec, Ontario, Ohio and New Hampshire).

Old 10-05-2015, 12:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The problem with farmed fish is that it's fed corn and other things that cause it to create omega-6 oil, which you then consume. One of the health reasons for consuming fish is to get the omega-3 oil that fish create in their natural state and which has been shown to lower chokesterol. Omega-6 is what the body stores in the belly to help us survive the winter when food stockpiles are low . Since we don'the really need our bodies to store this extra belly fat to survive the winter because we have a steady food supply all year, it just sits there as fat.
That may be very true, but we also have to think of the positives of eating fish and yes, even farm raised have positives. For those who live on the coasts: we did for many years, buying wild fish isn't a huge problem. Heck, we used to go to the shore and buy it almost as soon as it was caught. It is a little more expensive but within the budget of many. When you live in the middle part of the country, you either go without fish altogether or you depend on what is available. Fresh fish (we do have a couple of places to get it) will run, on sale, anywhere from $15 lb to $30. Those prices make it almost impossible for the average family to afford. The saving grace, fish is so rich small servings are usually enough, compared to other protein. Not to mention the latest studies (though I am not a believer in studies) indicate lowering cholesterol may not be an important as once thought. Yesterdays study are now history and next year's will show how wrong they were. Think of the foods we were told to eat when growing up and what is supposedly healthy today? Growing up in the 50s or 60s a fat baby was a healthy baby and every child should drink a quart of milk a day.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
This information is incorrect, there is/was no 'health' difference between grades 'A' and 'B'.

Maple syrup is graded by color. Lighter colored syrup is produced by sap collected earlier in the season when the weather is cooler, darker syrup comes from sap collected during warmer weather. Darker syrup *does* have more flavor, but there is no more or less 'health benefit'.

The maple syrup grading system has recently been changed. Grade 'A' comprises four colors- Golden, Amber, Dark, and Very Dark. Grade 'B' AKA 'Commercial Grade' or 'Processing Grade' is not available to consumers, but may be sold to restaurants and other food producers for incorporation as an ingredient in other recipes.

Some states in the US formerly used different grading systems, particularly Vermont, which *did* have Grades A, B, and C (Commercial Grade, not available to consumers for table use); with variations within Grade 'A'. This system is being consolidated and standardized, as above.

Canada, and some provinces, also used different grading systems. The International Maple Syrup Institute (IMSI) has worked to achieve this consolidation and standardization of the grading system in order to decrease confusion over grades in both the US and Canada, and in the various states and provinces. Nearly everyone will now use the same grading system, though some areas may experience delays before the new system is adopted (notably: Quebec, Ontario, Ohio and New Hampshire).
Hmm..I must be outdated on B but I did purchase B grade just this season at sugarhouses. So C which used to be commercial grade is totally gone? Sigh I wish they would stop changing, it screws me up!

Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Probably, but the important thing for all of us to remember is: what one study shows today will not be the same a year from now. Farm fish period isn't as healthy as fresh out of the wild, and yet, most of us do not have an never ending supply of money. I would like to see a lot more studies that show Farm salmon on a list of the 20 worst foods for us: There are a lot of other foods that probably should be on the list before any kind of fish.
The problem is choice, Americans in general can only identify maybe 3-4 types of fish and those are the ones susceptible to over fishing and requires farming.

If Americans would go down to a real fish market and buy cheaper fishes that are just as high if not higher in Omega3+6 than Tuna and Salmon. There are fish that are high in sustainability just not marketed highly. Some fishermen catches sardines and throw them away because they're not worth anything.

Tilefish, monkfish, sardines, mackerel, trouts, sea bass, etc. These are many sustainable, wild, and also very high in Omega3+6 yet people ignore and only eat tuna and salmon.

Squid is also another highly sustainable and rich in omega3 source that people choose to ignore and only eat the unhealthy methods like deep fried rather than grilled.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The problem is choice, Americans in general can only identify maybe 3-4 types of fish and those are the ones susceptible to over fishing and requires farming.

If Americans would go down to a real fish market and buy cheaper fishes that are just as high if not higher in Omega3+6 than Tuna and Salmon. There are fish that are high in sustainability just not marketed highly. Some fishermen catches sardines and throw them away because they're not worth anything.

Tilefish, monkfish, sardines, mackerel, trouts, sea bass, etc. These are many sustainable, wild, and also very high in Omega3+6 yet people ignore and only eat tuna and salmon.

Squid is also another highly sustainable and rich in omega3 source that people choose to ignore and only eat the unhealthy methods like deep fried rather than grilled.
I am talking about some of the fish you mentioned: we do pay $15 a lb or more for them and being from a family where my dad went deep sea fishing and fresh water fishing on a regular bases, growing up on the coast of CA and living in both Florida and the DC area, I really have a good idea about fish: the problem still exists: price for fresh fish is very expensive if you live in the middle part of the country. Believe me, the fish market we have right here (has only been open about 6 months) offers a huge choice in fish and all is flown in fresh daily, never from farms. I don't know a lot about a lot of things, but fish is one I do.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:28 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
That may be very true, but we also have to think of the positives of eating fish and yes, even farm raised have positives. For those who live on the coasts: we did for many years, buying wild fish isn't a huge problem. Heck, we used to go to the shore and buy it almost as soon as it was caught. It is a little more expensive but within the budget of many. When you live in the middle part of the country, you either go without fish altogether or you depend on what is available. Fresh fish (we do have a couple of places to get it) will run, on sale, anywhere from $15 lb to $30. Those prices make it almost impossible for the average family to afford. The saving grace, fish is so rich small servings are usually enough, compared to other protein. Not to mention the latest studies (though I am not a believer in studies) indicate lowering cholesterol may not be an important as once thought. Yesterdays study are now history and next year's will show how wrong they were. Think of the foods we were told to eat when growing up and what is supposedly healthy today? Growing up in the 50s or 60s a fat baby was a healthy baby and every child should drink a quart of milk a day.
I don't think the occasional farmed fish will kill anybody, but you mention "the positives of eating fish", which is primarily its omega-3 oil. If you've removed that benefit and replaced it with a potentially harmful fat, what other positives were you thinking of? It is lower in calories, yes, than most meat. I wouldn't say it'seems "richer", though. Seems the opposite. Of course, the richness would vary with the type of fish.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-05-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink