Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:04 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Cake mixes got smaller, but most of the things I buy like bags of flour or rice have stayed the same sizes over the years.

About chips being crushed, cheese being mushy, and produce not being as flavorful, could it be quality issues at the store you shop at? The stuff I buy is still the same quality as before.

I have noticed that sometimes grapefruit have a tough stringy texture inside. If you pick grapefruit that feel heavy for their size, this happens less often. I've noticed that the best grapefruit that I find is usually being sold on the side of the road, or from the back of a truck that drives through my neighborhood, rather than the grapefruit at the grocery store.
I don't use cake mixes but when shopping I do see those tiny cake mix boxes and wonder if you can even get a whole cake out of it anymore?

We shop at Walmart for the savings but for produce we go to Safeway or Fry's where the quality has always been better. Great tip about the grapefruit. I can see how more juice would make it weigh more. Also I find the softer ones are juicier too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 08:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Tuna in pouches. The weight has been steadily going down to the point where one "large" pouch now only has a little over one portion. I feel that the quality of the tuna has gone way down, as well. It used to be nice and flaky, with a substantial texture, and now it's all watered down. I imagine they add more liquid to extend the amount of tuna. It has very little flavor.
cans of tuna the same. I remember when mom used to make her tuna casserole with one can of tuna. If I tried that now, spoiled brat would be asking "where's the tuna?" sorta like, where's the beef? Not to mention the flavor of the tuna seems to have disappeared.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:06 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
cans of tuna the same. I remember when mom used to make her tuna casserole with one can of tuna. If I tried that now, spoiled brat would be asking "where's the tuna?" sorta like, where's the beef? Not to mention the flavor of the tuna seems to have disappeared.
I just Googled "tuna quality decline" and found a lot of entries from others who also felt that the overall quality of tuna had gone way down. I was led to some information from the America's Test Kitchen website that said that large packers now cook the tuna before packing (to get the most fish off the bone in the quickest/cheapest manner) and then cook it a second time after it has been packed. This creates a cheaper product, but one with compromised flavor and texture. They also add in more liquid afterwards to compensate for the drier product created by double cooking.

The tuna that got the best reviews from the AKT reviewers was Wild Planet Wild Albacore canned tuna (which is apparently hand packed so it isn't cooked twice) at $3.39 for a five ounce can.

I think I may be done with packaged tuna. The cheaper brands look like cat food, have a disgusting texture and taste like nothing, while the better tasting tuna costs nearly $11 per pound.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 AM

^ I'm having tuna for lunch today (convenient) and canned tuna has scared me for awhile, but I couldn't put my finger on why. It looks like it's been chewed to mush and there aren't those big fluffy chunks anymore.
will look into the Wild planet brand.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Try the tuna packed in olive oil - it's much more flavorful.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
^ I'm having tuna for lunch today (convenient) and canned tuna has scared me for awhile, but I couldn't put my finger on why. It looks like it's been chewed to mush and there aren't those big fluffy chunks anymore.
will look into the Wild planet brand.
We had it for lunch a couple days ago cause it was quick and spoiled brat does love it, but we don't have it often. You know it is getting harder and harder to find a decent sandwich. We all know lunch meat isn't healthy at all, tuna is a question mark, I don't think peanut and butter is quite my cup of tea and I can't think of much else. When we have things like left over meatloaf, yummy sandwich or avocado it is fine.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We had it for lunch a couple days ago cause it was quick and spoiled brat does love it, but we don't have it often. You know it is getting harder and harder to find a decent sandwich. We all know lunch meat isn't healthy at all, tuna is a question mark, I don't think peanut and butter is quite my cup of tea and I can't think of much else. When we have things like left over meatloaf, yummy sandwich or avocado it is fine.
Lunch meat is so over processed we try not to eat it too much. We didn't have a choice with the heat this summer, though.

As far as sandwiches goes, BLTs and chicken are probably the least processed.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:23 AM

162 posts, read 212,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I just Googled "tuna quality decline" and found a lot of entries from others who also felt that the overall quality of tuna had gone way down. I was led to some information from the America's Test Kitchen website that said that large packers now cook the tuna before packing (to get the most fish off the bone in the quickest/cheapest manner) and then cook it a second time after it has been packed. This creates a cheaper product, but one with compromised flavor and texture. They also add in more liquid afterwards to compensate for the drier product created by double cooking.

The tuna that got the best reviews from the AKT reviewers was Wild Planet Wild Albacore canned tuna (which is apparently hand packed so it isn't cooked twice) at $3.39 for a five ounce can.

I think I may be done with packaged tuna. The cheaper brands look like cat food, have a disgusting texture and taste like nothing, while the better tasting tuna costs nearly $11 per pound.
I don't know if it was rated, but Costco brand tuna is wonderful.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Lunch meat is so over processed we try not to eat it too much. We didn't have a choice with the heat this summer, though.

As far as sandwiches goes, BLTs and chicken are probably the least processed.
Of course when we have a chicken I can always make chicken sandwiches, or make egg salad. We just finished lunch about an hour ago: spoiled brat had left over spag and I had a couple small shrimp on a biscuit with hot sauce and mayo.

Back to tuna: if I am going to buy it and as I said we don't too often, we want it packed in oil. I guess whether one does or doesn't like certain brands, no matter where they shop probably has more to do with what type of foods they are used to eating and food is very subjective.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Tuna off the back of someone's boat, cut into slabs and grilled is not the same thing found in cans at all. Although, when it's that fresh, why bother to cook it? Slice, add a little shoyu and wasabi and yum. But, that's probably not an option for many folks. It still tastes like tuna and has the same size and consistency it's always had unless it's your friend's boat, then it will be bigger than usual.

If you get away from food in boxes or cans, then it's usually a lot better. If you source the food from the folks who grow it or catch it, you get something that actually looks and acts like food. If you get the results of some sort of corporation putting something into boxes or cans in hopes of making money, I'm not even sure if that's actually food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink