Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 01:10 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times

Advertisements

Two years ago I finally admitted to myself that I don't like turkey, regardless of how it is cooked. Not sure why it took me so long. I was once a vegetarian for over ten years, but later went on to eat some meat. I find that I am quite picky about meat/poultry in general though.

Now, T-day will just be a pure carb fest for me, as I love all the other dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 01:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
I LOVE turkey...and GRAVY....doesn't matter if it's juicy OR dry, as long as you have gravy!!!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:24 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Two years ago I finally admitted to myself that I don't like turkey, regardless of how it is cooked. Not sure why it took me so long. I was once a vegetarian for over ten years, but later went on to eat some meat. I find that I am quite picky about meat/poultry in general though.

Now, T-day will just be a pure carb fest for me, as I love all the other dishes.
I know what you're saying here! I feel like I've finally mastered the turkey, and I do totally enjoy it now, but I spent most of my life disliking it and, truth be told, if given a side by side choice I'd still choose a great roasted chicken over turkey any day (incl. T-day). It just plain has better flavor!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:40 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
So many recipes for turkey brag about how moist and juicy the meat will be. I find the taste of juicy turkey to be extremely gross, as does my family. I prefer it cooked well, and on the dry side. I'm wondering if this might be the reason some folks aren't fans of turkey? Thoughts?
I hate it too. I like mine on the dry side - then topped with yummy gravy made from the pan drippings.

To me, moist and juice equals almost RAW! Yuck.

Feel the same way about cakes - no moist cake - give me a dry cake with buttery frosting.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:52 PM

78 posts, read 77,452 times
I don't like overdry but moist, as you could easily flake with fork, not juicy. The skin has to be crispy golden brown too. You can have a well cooked turkey that's moist. Slightly underdone would turn someone off possibly equating juiciness for underdone. I cook turkey slightly at higher temp than on directions. I cook at 325 to 350, last hour tauncovered to brown. Turns out perfect.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:09 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
No matter how dry your meat is no amount of gravy makes it better, ask my husband. His mom was the queen of cooking meat too long and not because she liked well done meat. She would tend to get distracted or do something else and forget the meat was cooking. LOL. She would say "puts some gravy on it It will be fine." It is isn't fine.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:29 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I don't want "drippy wet moist" but I do want to be able to swallow it! - I'll never forget the year I went back "home" for Thanksgiving (not my home, Mom and her hubby since my dad had passed) - usually we stayed at a hotel but it was the "holiday" and after all the begging to stay there, we did - we went to visit friends (they had plans as well) - we all got home late - they got in even later than us - she put the turkey in the oven at something like 2-3 a.m. for the next day!! YIKES - tried to be polite but it was hard to even swallow a small bite with a drink of "beverage of choice". - There IS a happy medium, I think most things you read, recipes, etc. - mean moist as in "NOT SAWDUST".

Old 10-11-2015, 05:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
So many recipes for turkey brag about how moist and juicy the meat will be. I find the taste of juicy turkey to be extremely gross, as does my family. I prefer it cooked well, and on the dry side. I'm wondering if this might be the reason some folks aren't fans of turkey? Thoughts?

I am not of those who prefer turkey jerky. You can serve that on a platter if you want, You can make mashed potatoes but you will need to buy canned gravy.

Yep, you are alone on an island in my world. I take it you have never had smoked or deep fried turkey.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:38 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
I love turkey!! just not the taste of it when it is wet. It has an off-putting flavor that kind of tastes bloody. Bleh. I like all my meat well done so poultry is not any different. I make an awesome gravy, so my turkey never tastes like a dried out dessicated mess.
You are in TX and like well done beef=steak/fajitas?

My give up.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:39 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
Brining fills the muscle with water so the turkey is more moist but the meat is soggy and mushy. The best way I've found to roast a delicious turkey is to remove the backbone and drape the turkey over an upside down v rack and test for doneness with a thermometer. Comes out perfect every time. Save the backbone for making turkey soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink