Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:19 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
There's a world of difference between undercooked and moist. I like to brine poultry, which guarantees my perfectly cooked birds will be moist. Just because you had a bad experience with an undercooked bird, don't assume an overcooked bird is the best answer.
I agree with this 100%. It doesn't have to be wet or drippy to be moist if it is then it's undercooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 03:30 PM

442 posts, read 496,570 times
I prefer dried out meat, too. Dry turkey, well cooked steaks, etc. It's a texture thing for me - I like them to be firmer and chewier. The softer texture of a medium steak makes it feel, to me, like I am chewing on my own tongue or the inside of my cheek and it freaks me out.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:07 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I think you were brainwashed by a cook who habitually overcooked turkey.

"MMMMMM! This is SOOO good, isn't it??? Nooo! It's supposed to be dry and stringy like that!!!"

Just kidding. I love turkey. WITH cranberry sauce. Do you like it with cranberry sauce?
Love cranberry sauce! Love the whole Thanksgiving meal, dry turkey and all!!

My mother was a very good cook but she made her turkeys "moist and juicy". Never pink, but just disgustingly wet. Another of her "treats" was medium rare roast beef - ugh. I guess it would be safe to say that all my meat has to be very well done in order for it to be palatable, and it looks like I'm in the minority!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

My mother was a very good cook but she made her turkeys "moist and juicy". Never pink, but just disgustingly wet. Another of her "treats" was medium rare roast beef - ugh. I guess it would be safe to say that all my meat has to be very well done in order for it to be palatable, and it looks like I'm in the minority!
Very much so. Do you actually buy good cuts of neat to over cook them or just just ground beef?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:15 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Thanksgiving is a drag for me. Don't care for turkey and would much prefer roasting a couple large chickens. Do love all the sides especially oyster dressing and sweet potato casserole.
Well do you go ahead and roast your chickens then? For the last few Thanksgivings I've been roasting Cornish hens.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Thanksgiving is a drag for me. Don't care for turkey and would much prefer roasting a couple large chickens. Do love all the sides especially oyster dressing and sweet potato casserole.
Where does one buy oysters in Dayton?

Old 10-12-2015, 06:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
I love turkey!! just not the taste of it when it is wet. It has an off-putting flavor that kind of tastes bloody. Bleh. I like all my meat well done so poultry is not any different. I make an awesome gravy, so my turkey never tastes like a dried out dessicated mess.
There is a huge difference between moist turkey and undercooked turkey. Eat it only where the cook knows the difference.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:

my gawd you sound just like a co worker,,,, in maine,,

she cant stand any meat that is the least bit pink,,,,and.... as you say disgustingly wet.....

and comically, she is a lesbian,

Old 10-12-2015, 06:56 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Very much so. Do you actually buy good cuts of neat to over cook them or just just ground beef?
It's totally up to the OP and people like my hubby to buy whatever cut of meat and cook it to however they wish. My grandmother when she was alive loved her meat charred black. All meats.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
If you cook it right you'll get both the drier meat (breast) and the fall off the bone meat (legs and wings).

Long and slow and covered for most of the cook time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink